AV Cable

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DrAwesome821
shadow

AV Cable

Post#1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi there, I'm new to the dreamcast scene. I recently got a system off of a friend without a set of AV cables. I bought the RetroBit Retrocast cables in hopes they would work, but alas, I bought a faulty product. I know there's not an issue with my system as I was able to test it at my friend's house with his cables. What do you guys recommend in terms of a set of AV cables, and if you could please link me to where I can buy them? I'm using a 24" LCD TV.

BoomClank25
noob

Re: AV Cable

Post#2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Does your TV have a VGA input? Most people recommend getting a VGA box/cable over AV cables since it provides the best PQ.

DrAwesome821
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Yes, but I heard it was incompatible with some games.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm

The VGA thing is interesting because I had various results with the same DC/VGA cheap cable combo. One of the tv's shifted the image to the left (Haier). Another would not play it until I connected it to a very old Altinex VGA switcher with a 5-BNC output that I then used a 5-BNC-to HD15-pin VGA adapter to make it work (my first Seiki only). All other tv's worked great. The brands I tested were Haier, Venture, Sanyo, Vizio, Sony and two different Seiki models.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 pm

DrAwesome821 wrote:Yes, but I heard it was incompatible with some games.

A very small list of games. And have yet to play any in my collection that didn't work with vga. They all look amazing.

I use the same cable combo Bob Dobbs has and works well for me. On my Vizio tv the image is a little shifted to the right. Maybe 2 inches on a 42" screen. So nothing is cut off.

DrAwesome821
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 pm

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:
DrAwesome821 wrote:Yes, but I heard it was incompatible with some games.

A very small list of games. And have yet to play any in my collection that didn't work with vga. They all look amazing.

I use the same cable combo Bob Dobbs has and works well for me. On my Vizio tv the image is a little shifted to the right. Maybe 2 inches on a 42" screen. So nothing is cut off.

Thanks! Will look into getting one as soon as my paycheck gets in!

DrAwesome821
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 pm

ouch it seems soul calibur is incompatible

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Soul Calibur is compatible with VGA if I remember correctly. Even if you have to do the swap trick, it works.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#9 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:27 am

DrAwesome821 wrote:ouch it seems soul calibur is incompatible

I'm pretty sure I've played soul calibur on vga. I'll have to try it after work today.