Configuring Static IP addresses for the DreamPi and Dreamcast

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

1nick9
Anarki

Re: Configuring Static IP addresses for the DreamPi and Dreamcast

Post#11 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

1nick9 wrote:
thecodygriffin wrote:Kazade, is there a better way to modify the dreampi script so that I wouldn’t need to change the /etc/network/interfaces configuration from dhcp to static, but would ALWAYS result in IP address ending in .19 and .18 for the DreamPi and Dreamcast respectively?

I ask because what I did feels like a hack based on a partial understanding of a greater whole.

for the pi resulting in one of these why not setup a dhcp lease?? guess cause clashes with reservered ips for static from ya dhcp server range. still would need to manually config the dailup ip to resolve desired ip.
quick question why it not work modifying this section of script alone?? without knowning anything about the scripts on dreampi im guessing just modifying this would make it detect subnet range n add 20 to it.
this_ip = find_next_unused_ip(".".join(subnet) + ".20")

or is that section of the script only for dialup modem section?

1nick9
Anarki

Post#12 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 pm

1nick9 wrote:
1nick9 wrote:
thecodygriffin wrote:Kazade, is there a better way to modify the dreampi script so that I wouldn’t need to change the /etc/network/interfaces configuration from dhcp to static, but would ALWAYS result in IP address ending in .19 and .18 for the DreamPi and Dreamcast respectively?

I ask because what I did feels like a hack based on a partial understanding of a greater whole.

for the pi resulting in one of these why not setup a dhcp lease?? guess cause clashes with reservered ips for static from ya dhcp server range. still would need to manually config the dailup ip to resolve desired ip.
quick question why it not work modifying this section of script alone?? without knowning anything about the scripts on dreampi im guessing just modifying this would make it detect subnet range n add 20 to it.
this_ip = find_next_unused_ip(".".join(subnet) + ".20")

or is that section of the script only for dialup modem section?

yeah durrr... dhcp assigned for pi ip, figure just go off ya dhcp server for next availbe ip for a lease. tho with that part of script changed should default to the acutal dreamcast ip only being set certian ip which is one u must portforward to so who cares what ip the actual pi gets set.

thecodygriffin
undertow

Post#13 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I’d like the DreamPi IP address to be static for ssh purposes. I find it easier to reboot the DreamPi from my phone than to get up, and cycle it by unplugging and then plugging the power back in.

1nick9
Anarki

Post#14 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:59 pm

thecodygriffin wrote:I’d like the DreamPi IP address to be static for ssh purposes. I find it easier to reboot the DreamPi from my phone than to get up, and cycle it by unplugging and then plugging the power back in.

true well for static addressing i dont see any other option than configuring it like have due to the original setup doing dhcp and is just a dumped sd img really of setup (not an installer or such with configurable options during loading). once again without knowing much about the dreampi itself as a setup so just an assumption.

kazade
Developer

Post#15 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 am

So to be clear, there are 3 IPs in action here:

- the main DreamPi IP (this is DHCP)
- the link IPs between the dreamcast and the pi (normally 98 and 99)

I'll have as think about how to make the latter two statically configurable. And yes really the script should lease those IPs but I couldn't get it working so put it on the back burner... I'll get to it one day :)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#16 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:51 am

Ideally, all IPs should be configurable statically, as you can't know what address ranges people will use for their DHCP pool. I don't use DHCP at all; I configure all of my devices with a static IP.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

kazade
Developer

Post#17 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:57 am

Well the main IP is configurable as static as it is on any Pi it's the other two that are the problem.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#18 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:19 am

My first PI: gets .98 <-> .99 for the PPP.
My second PI: I hardcoded the IP's to .96 <-> .97 for the PPP

Because I got a lot of issues having both up at the same time :)

@Cody - You can just change the python script to return hardcoded values for the DC IP.

eatnumber1
noob

Post#19 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:59 am

You can also accomplish this without modifying the DreamPi at all if you have the ability to assign static addresses to mac addresses in your DHCP server. If you reserve the addresses .99 and .98 on your network, the algorithm that the DreamPi uses will always choose those addresses.

Since I don't necessarily know the MAC addresses involved however (the Dreamcast doesn't actually have a mac address at all), and the DreamPi doesn't use DHCP for this anyway, you don't need to use a valid one. The MAC addresses in the range 00:00:5E:00:00:00 - 00:00:5E:00:00:FF are reserved, so you can use those.

I also assigned a static IP to the DreamPi itself, but it's not necessary to do that.

So to get the Dreamcast a static IP, in my DHCP server, I just set up the following assignments (I use 10.0.1.0/24 as my home network):

10.0.1.99 - 00:00:5E:00:00:00 - this is the ppp interface on the dreampi, cannot be in-use on your network
10.0.1.98 - 00:00:5E:00:00:01 - this is for the dreamcast itself

TigerMacZ
undertow

Post#20 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:51 pm

im having an issue with this im trying to configure static addresses for the wlan0

but what exactly am i supposed to do when i get to sudo update -rc.d -f dhcpcd remove like where am i supposed to type that because i keep getting command not recognised and this kinda stuff is a bit complicated for me