Sonic in the Mega Sega Showdown (my new fangame)

Talk about PC and Mac games, etc. here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Sonic in the Mega Sega Showdown (my new fangame)

Post#1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Hey everyone. I apologize for the influx of posts lately, I just had a lot to say and show. Anyways, I'm working on a Sonic fangame and I think it's ready to show you guys; it was originally called Sonic: Robotnik's Revenge, but to not cause confusion between the hack called Robotnik's Revenge, it's now called Sonic in the Mega Sega Showdown. What a title.

The game is being made using the Open Surge Engine that powered Vista's Afterlife: The Game. This build currently features two full Sonic zones with a Panzer Dragoon level or NiGHTS boss at the end. This is the structure that the rest of the game will follow; a Sonic zone with the third act being a Panzer or NiGHTS level.

Feel free to try it out and tell me what you think.

Download: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=14472#p14472

Gameplay videos:

Fresh Firth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEufcfty2wo
Jackpot Jazz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6oBB3SCSdw

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Sonic in the Mega Sega Showdown (my new fangame)

Post#2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 am

Looks interesting. It lacks polish, but I assume that's because it's still early days. Excellent to see such efforts still happening in the fan community.

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks. The game is still only about two months in on-and-off development, so it will be a lot bigger and have more polish when it's finished.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:36 am

That's awesome. We may end up with a legit homebrew spiritual brother to Sonic Mania :)

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#5 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 am

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've updated this, but don't worry; this project is still very active in development. So active that I have a few new things to show you :D

First, new FMV logos at the start of the game; one for Sega, SGWaS Games, and Sonic Team. Yay.

Second, a brand new zone called "Construction City". Act 1 is a Sonic Advance-style day stage with many loops and some moving platforms, Act 2 is a sewer level with lots of tricky jumps on pipes and a Labyrinth section, and Act 3 is another cinematic Panzer Dragoon level that I can't get enough of. It's still not entirely finished yet; Act 1 needs to be a bit longer and needs more depth in the background. But what I have right now is enough to warrant an update.

Third, the Dragon can now shoot in 3 directions; forward, backward and upward. I have also near-fully completed the next Panzer Dragoon level, which is, again, CC Act 3.

All of this is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIS1dHXgR8
Download link will come eventually; I need to work on this a bit more before release. ;)

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#6 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:01 am

Looks promising!

Is there any possibility we could see this on the Dreamcast? A sweet little 2D Sonic game on the DC would kick ass!

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:42 am

@OfManNotMachine I was thinking of asking Alexandre on the engine's forums about that, but it probably won't happen because of the Dreamcast's limited memory (16 MB). The game requires at the very least 512 MB to run acceptably well.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#8 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Damn. That sucks. Would be nice to see a 2D Sonic game on the DC

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#9 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 pm

It does honestly, would love to have the game run on Dreamcast. PC is good enough though, and I heard that the engine is getting an Android port soon