Dead or Alive (Japanese Edition)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Dead or Alive (Japanese Edition)

Post#1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Since I own games from each region, I started to look for which of my Japanese titles actually included internet features.
I was directed to this list - http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... ist_jp.php

Dead or Alive does include an internet system, however, which would be almost an early variant of what appeared on Dead Or Alive Ultimate on the Xbox. You have a UPS (User Profile System) which is your name/username which stores your best times etc. This was expanded upon in Ultimate on the Xbox, as it also included online play.

There is also a Browser built into the game, which had a strange reaction with my VGA->HDMI upscaler, shifting the image of the game from it's usual centre to being too high and too far left (This resolution error stayed even after returning to the main game. Sod knows what it does, but turning the machine on and off should resolve it). This browser has a picture of Ayane in a bikini in the background, which is tiled on some menu screens, and has a few features set to Kanji text buttons assigned to the left and right triggers.

I know that early Japanese online systems are unable to be reproduced due to their dependency on old hardware-based networking protocols designed specifically around Japanese network architecture (Dwango), however Dead or Alive (Or Dead or Alive LE) was late to Japan, which is why it received a huge amount of additional content, so it's possible it didn't utilise the out of date system. I took this list from http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7284&sid=c294819fc749c80222ed8d2775855205

JP version of DOA2 has:
73 costumes, vs the US's 33
Bayman and Tengu as unlockable characters.
Extra breaks in "The Dragon Hills" stage
2 brand new stages: The Burai Zenin & The L's Castle
4 extra modes:
-Sparring (tag battle)
-Watch
-UPS (User Profile System)
-Internet (webpage / rankings)
New dialogue differences
Tons more cutscene animations
Kasumi's default hairstyle is in a high ponytail instead of a low braid
CG Gallery Unlockables

I have yet to trial all of the features of the browser, it's possible many won't work without a true connection, however one allows you to erase content from the VMUs via a unique custom interface in the browser. I'm wondering if DLC was released/planned via this system which is why it gave you the ability to make room on your storage devices. You can delete any content as you would from the main Dreamcast BIOS menu.

Does anybody know any more about these features? Be interesting to see if any of the content added to Dead or Alive Ultimate was planned for DLC, or if there was any additional parts to it. Interesting feature nonetheless.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Dead or Alive (Japanese Edition)

Post#2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Wow the more I now know ..

Is it T-3601M ? I never knew if mine is "Limited" more like unlimited right . I tried looking up stock DOA2 Japan version but somehow couldn't see nor tell diff does that even exist ? Thought then n now all they received was the Limited

I remember when I bought Guilty Gear Dreamcast and it's like .. they just came in two different disc arts ?

EDIT: Dawh yeh , limited as in a bit less manufacturing ..

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm

From what I can tell, there are two variants. However they are identical on disc, other than one including colour art on the disc (Of naked Kasumi, the other has a black and white Kasumi with faded out Ayane and Lei Fang).

KASUMI AND AYANE;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-Dreamca ... Swj85YQ8wg

KASUMI "ONLY"/WITH AYANE AND LEI FANG;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-Dreamca ... Swj85YQ8wg

I own the first variant, with Kasumi and Ayane on the cover with a coloured disc art. This is the T-3601M coded version. As for information on the two variants;
Did you pick up the ubiquitous LE of DOA2 JP, or the oddly harder-to-find original version (with only Kasumi on the cover)?

I have the LE, and although both of the games are identical, I'm wondering if it's only the LE that has the full-color disc artwork. I agree however that it's very nice. Cool

They suggest that the Kasumi "only" version is the earlier version, however it has a code of T-3602M (As visible when zooming into the linked auction photo). As I don't own this version, I can't say if there are any updates on the online features. The back cover is identical save for the version code change in the top right corner, so there's no hint to this. If I get into some spare cash I may buy it in to test it.

There were some additional features on the PS2 version apparently;
I played the PS2 "DOA2: Hardcore" a bit way back, but while there are some interesting visual effects (with colors and such), it has "jaggies up the wazoo" if I recall correctly. It also had three or so tag team stages, but in actuality, the default one ("Danger Zone"?) was pretty much the best, and that's the one on the DC anyway. The others felt weird, or sort of "tacked-on."

Perhaps these felt tacked on because they were possible DLC for the Dreamcast version? Another interesting addition is the 1-4 Players on either copy, I'm guessing that's referencing the Tag Team mode exclusive to the Japanese editions, but I've not played it in multiplayer so I don't know.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:51 am

Okay, I've been using a basic amount of Google Translate to try and figure out if there's anything on the Japanese box art that states online functionality.

The PAL games usually have it written in a strip at the bottom of the front cover (Online Functionality or Online Multiplayer) except for Sonic Adventure. The first wave of games possibly lacked it.

The US games state MODEM on the back of the box alongside the VGA symbols and others.

From what I can see, the Japanese boxart use the word MODEM. On the back right hand side of the box, there is a list of things the game is compatible with (Just below the number of Players). The only one that is easy for me to decipher is VGA (As it's written in English amongst Kanji) so I tried a few internet related words and modem came through; モデム or Modemu (Check Google Translate if you wish to verify it)
On the Jet Set Radio and Dead or Alive 2 boxes, this is the second option down. "Modem Adaptable" gives the direct Kanji on the box モデム対応 or Modemu taiō.

I don't have a huge number of Japanese games, but this is the list I have that include this on the box;
18 Wheeler Pro Trucker (Not on the JAP Online list in the initial post)
Dead or Alive 2 (Not on the JAP Online list in the initial post)
Eternal Arcadia (Not on the JAP Online list in the initial post)
Jet Set Radio (Not on the JAP Online list in the initial post)
Phantasy Star Online ver 1
Sega Rally 2
Super Producers: Mezase Show Biz Kai (Not on the JAP Online list in the initial post)

These are the games that don't bear the mark, just to make it clear they are offline and also serve as proof of the terminology;
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Shuffle
Space Channel 5
Virtua Fighter 3TB

These two games have odd symbols that may or may not include online;
Puyo Pop Fever (HDR-0217 code) has a strange black bar at the top of the list that has a white box the size of a kanji character followed by the kanji for Adaptable 対応 with other kanji directly following it. I can't read it and I could be here forever trying to guess out the words. It may be online related or it could be something else as the VGA text on most games is literally VGA対応 (But even the VGA text is different on the Puyo Pop Fever box).

I was surprised to find online features on Eternal Arcadia! I haven't tested the feature son the disc, but I'm curious as to what they would add to an RPG. Super Producers is surprising too, a very zany game that I bought cheap as a joke title.

The following spoilers include what I found from the back of Japanese cases wherever I could find them.
VERIFIED ONLINE ON BACK OF CASE
18 Wheeler Pro Trucker
Buggy Heat
Capcom Vs SNK: Millenium Fight 2000
Chu Chu Rocket
Comic Party
Cool Boarders Burrrn!
Dead or Alive 2
Dream Studio
Eldorado Gate Vol 2
Elysion
Eternal Arcadia
F1 World Grand Prix
Fighting Vipers 2
Fire Pro Wrestling D
Gigawing
Gigawing 2
Golf Shiyouyo
Guilty Gear X
Gunbird 2
Gundam Battle Online
Gundam Rise From The Ashes Side Story 0079
Heisei Mahjong So
Hundred Swords
J.League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou!
Jahmong! Mahjong
Japan Pro Wrestling Toukon Retsuden 4
Jet Set Radio
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
King of Fighters 99 Evolution
Love Hina
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Green
Net@Versus Mahjong
Oukahoushin Oukasakishitoki
Phantasy Star Online
Power Smash (Virtua Tennis)
Power Stone 2
Pro Yakyuu Team De Asobou Net! (Baseball)
Project Justice
RoomMania #203
Sakura Taisen Online: Paris no Nagai Hibi Ltd Ed (DWANGO written on back)
Samba De Amigo
Seventh Cross
Shutokou Battle (Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Tokyo Highway Challenge)
Shutokou Battle 2 (Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Tokyo Highway Challenge)
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Sports Jam
Super Puzzle Fighter II X
Super Street Fighter II X For Matching Service: Grand Master Challenge
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Street Fighter III W Impact
Street Fighter Zero 3 (Street Fighter Alpha 3)
Super Producers: Mezase Show Biz Kai
Tricolore Crise
Vampire Chronicle For Matching Service
Virtua Athlete 2K
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
Zombie Revenge

EDIT :: The spoilers weren't working, so I've had to leave the lists on here raw. I wanted to hide them in spoilers.
EDIT 2 :: Removed the list of what doesn't state online capabilities. These can be reported another time.