WiFi Alternative for DreamPi

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mongonk
shadow

WiFi Alternative for DreamPi

Post#1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 am

Hey everyone, I'm brand new but just fired up the Dreampi and I'm online! The problem I had was getting a WiFi unit or just Ethernet. I didn't really trust the WiFi on the Pi and I didn't want to run 40ft of Cat 5 to my basement. So I got one of these.

D-Link DHP-600. (older model. $23 on eBay)

It allows you to run Ethernet through your electrical sockets to anywhere in your house. To my surprise is works great. You must make sure to plug directly into the outlet and not an ext cord or surge protector.

This seems to be a great compromise. I still have the flexibility of mobility with more reliability. At least so far.
Not sure if this was the best place to post this. See you online!

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Re: WiFi Alternative for DreamPi

Post#2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:42 am

i got the wireless adapter for the pi about a year ago i believe. i think its catana kit...i think i'm butchering the name...lol...but i have it connected in my bedroom with of course my dc...it works great

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 pm

Yeah Powerline adapters are hit or miss may work fine for small amount of DC data. You can normally buy a. It more powerful wireless adapter or look for a 5ghz capable one for pi.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

alexh86
lithium

Post#4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 am

In my experience, powerline adapters are great. I have a cheap $25 set I bought off Amazon a couple years ago. In fact, I use it to run ethernet from my router down to my basement game room into an 8-port switch. The switch feeds my PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, PS TV, Smart TV and Dreamcast.

The adapter maxes out at 200 mbps so you most likely wouldn't want to use it to extend a local network passing a lot of data but if you're just running an Internet connection to another room, they are great. I only pay for 50 mbps service so I've never topped out the limits of the adapter.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#5 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:35 pm

You dont trust it? The Wifi on the Pi works great, especially with the very little data it requires to play a DC game online. Hell, on my other pi I run retropie and strem movies on KODI via wifi. Works great from all the way across the house. No need for power line adapters.