Hosting Q3 DC with a pi3

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

1nick9
Anarki

Hosting Q3 DC with a pi3

Post#1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 am

hey guys just throught I'd make a quick bit of info on how to get x86 bins running on ya pi3. currently hosting q3dc and ut 1999 off a pi3.
first off i tried a free method using qemu, didnt work well and bit of fuck round getting the network to work with vm so it doesnt see it as 0.0.0.0/0 which the q3a sees as trying to connect but refuses connection due to not being vaild ip. for this method i used the beta debain build for pi3, found here
https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/r ... IEW.img.xz
then also install these pkgs.
qemu
qemu-user-static
openvpn
bridge-utils
and configure as needed, dont need qemu if just doing static ver but how i got an independ x86 os running and talking right on network. might be better method with the static, dont claim to be a unix pro.

tried n didnt perform well, so gave exagear desktop ago with raspbian. to my surpise worked amazingly, they offer a free 3days trail if visit their website which is what i did to test it out. after finding it performed well ended up buying it, bout 23usd. i looked at it this way, the little i spend on the license which is lifetime will pay for itself and then save more compared to running these servers off a standard pc.

either method once up and installed just install as laid out in the modern linux distro guide, if using qemu not as full vm need to start bin with qeme static x86 command for the bin. exagear just enter exagear and run.

1nick9
Anarki

Re: Hosting Q3 DC with a pi3

Post#2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:03 am

pc ut im hosting, not dc (of course). running min of 16players with rest made of bots. no real lag issues past my shitty net at times.

1nick9
Anarki

Post#3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 am

also if ya in a hot area of the world like me, au summer atm, been 40c last few days and due to stick around for few more. will want some cooling for ya pi like a heatsink n fan kit.

1nick9
Anarki

Post#4 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 am

almost forgot too with qemu need also need to add add the arch
dpkg --add-architecture i386