PSO and KeyBoard requirement.

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mongonk
shadow

PSO and KeyBoard requirement.

Post#1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey there! Just purchased my DreamPi kit and excited to take my Dreamcast online! Haven't done so since 2002!

I am a total noob with regards to PSO. Just ordered V.2 on eBay and a Planet Web browser. One thing I did over look was a keyboard. How important is it to have a DC keyboard? I totally see how this adds allot more depth and entertainment to the experience. I was just a little surprised of the cost of a DC keyboard on E-Bay. I figured they would be $5 with maybe $5 dollar shipping. They are more like $20 with 10-$27 shipping!! Not to sound cheap but it all adds up quick.

Are there any places to buy at a more reasonable price or should I just suck it up?

Many thanks!

Cheers,
E

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Re: PSO and KeyBoard requirement.

Post#2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

check amazon! or keep an eye out on ebay. congrats on stepping back into the fold of dc online gaming and I look forward to gaming with you soon! :)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Everyone always told me how "Cheap" they where a few years back but that's mostly a false rumor spread around unless you find them at a local game store. As to how important it is its pretty helpful. Coming from a guy who played PSO for years without a keyboard you can get by without one. Pso allows you to save all sorts of pre made sentences and asking them to the d-pad or a second set if you hold down the trigger button. It also has a pr made generalized chat system in multiple languages and the on screen keyboard once you get used too work well. While i recommend getting a keyboard the system for Pso makes it so you can live without it

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Do it ! And could simply burn the XDP browser I find much easier to work too though apparently all you're doing is faking an ISP don't even need to specify the DNS IP addy as pcwzrd informed me , the DreamPi automates that

And as for your PSOv2 be sure it has the SNAK sticker beneath where the disc sits (serial number+access key)

Use that PSO Patcher which is boot disc I mean once really to startup your character get em on a ship then check PSO Palace download the PSO torrent IVES PSO is far better optimized than the GD and autoconnects too

Your laser will love you for it but go JVC Taiyo Yudens as your CD-R of choice ! Welcome sire !

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Ives optimized PSO is amazing and so much faster load times

mstar
Doom

Post#6 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 am

They were cheap, on professional used-stuff resellers no less.

I got mine on rebuy.de a few years back for 5€ brandnew in packaging, along with controllers in packaging for the same price...

VMUs, completely unused for 1.99€

All of that is almost 4 years ago, though - just been looking through my mails...

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#7 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 am

I would recommend the keyboard. Even at $20 it is worth that for the amount of added value it brings to the game. It makes communicating effortless. I occationally start a game of PSO without the keyboard, thinking I won't need it... I quickly pull it out of the cuboard shortly after!

If you get one, you wont regret it, or the price.

Welcome to online Dreamcast. Its a nice community here, we will all be happy to see you online.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Mongonk
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Awesome! I greatly appreciate the replies!!!! Screw it I'll just buy one. I'm so pissed I think I threw one out when I was cleaning my basement last summer. So stupid of me!

DURING Ancient times I used discJuggler to burn and download backups from dcisozone. It's now theisozone. What is the best free burning software these days? Also theisozine seems like virus central. My windows 10 machines went nuts with alerts and redirects, false download links etc. Is there a cleaner site or is this the wild west for downloads? ;-)

I haven't downloaded anything in like 8 years. And from what I remember I wasted many CD-R's

Happy to be here! Cheers! -E

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:56 pm

ygot it !

I've the big three Padus Discjuggler Imgburn and Alcohol but my unit just loves DJ 95% success rate in that solely . And fast writes I have set to 24x yet sounds like may be writing even quicker

Everyone is different lower speed and/or Imgburn rarely does it for me . In DJ the RAW Write checkbox makes it readable the difference between coaster er not

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#10 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 am

Use imgburn. It is the best
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart