Trouble with burned games on the Saturn (SOLVED)

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Trouble with burned games on the Saturn (SOLVED)

Post#1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:30 am

EDIT 06/01/18: Hello viewer! I suppose you're here for answers to your Saturn not accepting burned games or your CDs not coming out right. Well, prepare to be disappointed; neither were not working for me, and the problem was the swap trick I was performing. If you can't get the timing right, here's a guide to help you out:

1. Tape up switch under the Saturn's cover to make the disc spin while the lid is open for swapping (it's pretty simple to open it up, so I won't tell you)
2. Put everything back together and plug in the power and video cable
3. Put your burned game in the Saturn and turn it on
4. When the white flash starts to fade out, switch your burned disc with your real one (this is when it checks for security)
5. Wait for the Sega logo screen, then reset the Saturn
6. Repeat part 4, this time switching the real disc with the burned one

And viola. Now enjoy reading our efforts to "fix" my Saturn that would become meaningless due to my stupidity.

Hi,

I'm having some problems with burned Sega Saturn games. Some of them have different levels of non-function to them, and the ones that work have insufferable load times and take too long to load some audio files on the disc. Some also have weird graphical glitches and just stop spinning after a while (Sonic 3D Blast, which has been tested working in an emulator). Here's what I've been using and how I've been burning them:

-Imgburn program
-Maxell CD-Rs at 4x speed
-All images are BIN/CUE
-Mostly Darkwater releases
-American Sega Saturn Model 2 w/ this swap trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIqZBP-49hE
-Real games work perfectly

Could it be a problem with the laser, or am I doing something wrong in the burning process?
Last edited by SomeGuyWithASega on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Trouble with burned games on the Saturn

Post#2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 am

Burn at 16x not all cd burners can properly burn discs at 4x. I use verbatim cdrs with no issues. Also the swap trick is very hard on your saturns motor. I highly recommend investing in a mod chip as they are very easy to install.

krssn
Metallic

Post#3 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:14 am

Xiden wrote: Also the swap trick is very hard on your saturns motor. I highly recommend investing in a mod chip as they are very easy to install.

Wrong. Brushless DC motors work with magnets.

So not hard on the motor at all.

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 am

also if you can make sure that your burner can actually burn at those lower speeds. even if you set it for 4x, 8x, etc, many newer burners will only be able to burn at the lowest speed the device is capable of. if that makes any sense lol. I went and bought this little dandy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YU ... UTF8&psc=1 to use for all my sega cd and saturn burning needs. it supports down to 4x :)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:00 pm

krssn wrote:
Xiden wrote: Also the swap trick is very hard on your saturns motor. I highly recommend investing in a mod chip as they are very easy to install.

No actually im right....http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-saturn-swap-trick

It doesn't matter to me, not.my Saturn you are damaging.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Xiden wrote:
krssn wrote:

No actually im right....http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-saturn-swap-trick plus lots of other sites that confirm it does burn the motor out.

It doesn't matter to me, not my Saturn you are damaging.

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, there's a lot of lemmings out there.

Please enlighten me how you can stress a brushless motor with magnets that don't even touch the coils.

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#8 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Judging from the suggestions I've received here and from the SS:UK forums, it's most likely a problem with my CDs. I'm about to order some brand new Verbatim CD-Rs to burn games onto; I'll give those a try and get back to you guys.

I was also recommended JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, but they're too much on the expensive side for me. Thanks for the help everyone!

krssn
Metallic

Post#9 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:58 pm

You could also look into buying Rhea.

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/about/

Xiden
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:35 pm

krssn wrote:Yes, there's a lot of lemmings out there.

Please enlighten me how you can stress a brushless motor with magnets that don't even touch the coils.

Why dont you just use google and you could learn all about how they burn out. ;)