Please help me get online !

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

olie3146
letterbomb

Please help me get online !

Post#1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:56 pm

ok to cut a long story short...I've been trying for a long time now to get online and I just seem to keep hitting a wall, Im pretty technically minded and quite stubborn but this has now beaten me so I turn to you guys (and your hopefully infinite wisdom) to get my dreamcast back online.

My current set up :

Raspberry PI 2
dreampi 1.6
Dell usb NW147 Modem
Pal dreamcast line voltage inducer (purchased from Dreamcastlive.net)

Problem I seem to be having is only 1 light on the modem. when booting up the pi it goes through all the usual stuff and the last few lines are :

ARPING 192.168.1.98 from 192.168.1.72 eth0
Sent 1 probes (1 Broadcast(s))
Received 0 Response(s)

Any ideas please?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Commenting so it stays near top of "New".

I wish I could help you. Sorry.

olie3146
letterbomb

Post#3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:22 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Commenting so it stays near top of "New".

I wish I could help you. Sorry.

Thanks, wish I could figure it out, but im at a total loss now, I seem to have done everything by the book and it just doesn't want to work

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Not to sound rude (I really don't want to be)

I bought a dreampi kit and it was literally plug and play and I have had zero issues. BUT I am dreading the day when it doesn't work right and a reboot doesn't solve it. I could offer suggestions but I have zero idea about any of it.

I can say however in the past week or so about 3 other people have had issues with their Dreampis

TacT
Uber

Post#5 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Probably the lvi wouldn't trust anything from dclive :p

it's still thinking.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 pm

I recommend contacting PCwzrd13 via PM and he will help you with that problem. This seems to be related to the LVI. I can't help you because I have TacT's DreamPi modem with built-in LVI, so no batteries are required unless you have that type of modem from PCwzrd13 (unless you supplied your own modem).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Replied to your email but I'll post here as well in case others find this post and have similar issues. Having only one light on the modem is an issue with the DreamPi software not starting up properly. Typically this is due to some sort of internet connection issue on the Pi itself. The troubleshooting guide here has a few suggestions on what to do if your modem is only showing one light.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

olie3146
letterbomb

Post#8 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:20 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Replied to your email but I'll post here as well in case others find this post and have similar issues. Having only one light on the modem is an issue with the DreamPi software not starting up properly. Typically this is due to some sort of internet connection issue on the Pi itself. The troubleshooting guide here has a few suggestions on what to do if your modem is only showing one light.
Thanks for getting back to me I've dropped you an email back.
I have been through the troubleshooter and no joy, the Pi is in a DMZ and I can ping it from my PC fine, but still only 1 light on the modem.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#9 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:37 am

I would say, hook the raspberry up to a monitor or ssh to it (you can use putty for example).
Check what the /var/log/messages says, you should get a pretty good indication why the
dreampi software didn't start.

olie3146
letterbomb

Post#10 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 am

Shuouma wrote:I would say, hook the raspberry up to a monitor or ssh to it (you can use putty for example).
Check what the /var/log/messages says, you should get a pretty good indication why the
dreampi software didn't start.

ok thanks, the pi is hooked up to my monitor and I can get a get a keyboard, what specifically am I looking for?