Dreamcast Now! suggestions/improvements

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Dreamcast Now! suggestions/improvements

Post#1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi there,
I am new to the DreamPi but not to the Dreamcast. Ive had a BBA for about 2-3 years to play PSO and didnt realise how good the DreamPi was until I watched a few videos on it recently. Ive basically got DreamPi as my main form of online access for the DC now. I think Dreamcast Now! is a very valuable tool for DreamPi and I find myself having a window open in the background at all times to see who is online.

Would I be able to suggest a couple of features?

Possible feature additions.

- Automatic web browser refresh after 1 minute.
- Show basic player stats when clicking player: Time per game, total time online, country...
- Have stats on individual games: Max players at once, total time played...
- Make it clearer who is online. The blue glow could be on the outside of the larger user rectangle image.
- Have the number of players online in the webpage title so it can be seen while viewing other webpages. Ie: "Dreamcast Now! (players: 4)"

Anyways, its fantastic what has be achieved with DreamPi. Thank you to all who was involved in the development of it.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Dreamcast Now! suggestions/improvements

Post#2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm

i wish recently played updated a little better..

I havent played 4x4 evo for months.. but I have played chuchu & pool yet they never show up...

i guess once you get 3 games listed it just stays the same forever?

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 am

it needs to be updated. i've suggested similar stuff, and more extensive stuff for awhile

this is my opinion, so hopefully i don't piss anyone off, but i think the whole thing is stagnating because the idea is half-baked. what really needs to happen is a desktop app that has steam-like notifications when someone logs in to a game. its too 'out of the way' to really feel like a service on the web browser. if there was an app like that, i would bet money that the amount of games played would go up exponentially

i'm also not ignorant to the fact kazade has a family, a job, and a real life

i'm going to make a similar post but with more ideas soon
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:24 am

bba lives matter
Italian Stallion

kazade
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:56 am

There are a few reasons why Dreamcast Now hasn't been improved much:

1. My Dreamcast (and all my consoles) have been in storage since January
2. I'm working on something else, much MUCH bigger
3. Family, work, real life etc.

There is an API available which some people have been using to build Android apps - there's absolutely no reasons why someone else can't step up to build a desktop app. I can't do everything! :)

Hopefully my garden office will be finished in the next couple of months and then I can unpack everything

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 am

Oooo a teaser. Kazade , could this be your own personal game you were looking to build.

And don't sell yourself short. Dreampi and DCnow changed the DC online community and made it relevant again!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 am

kazade wrote:There are a few reasons why Dreamcast Now hasn't been improved much:

There is an API available which some people have been using to build Android apps - there's absolutely no reasons why someone else can't step up to build a desktop app. I can't do everything! :)

Hopefully my garden office will be finished in the next couple of months and then I can unpack everything

i wasn't implying for you to do the app, i was speaking generally 8-)

haven't heard from you in awhile, or i haven't been lurking here much, hope #2 and #3 are going well for you. looking forward to whatever you end up releasing
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#8 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 am

kazade wrote:There are a few reasons why Dreamcast Now hasn't been improved much:

Thank you for spending the time to reply. Its good to know that the developer is active on these forums and who the developer is.

As others and myself have said. Dreamcast Now! is a very valuable tool which aids the Dreamcast online community greatly. It certainly does for me, as I have it constantly open in a background tab to check who is online.

Any future development on this would be great. All the best with your big move and new project.

Thank you very much for your contribution to the community.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#9 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:41 am

Anonymouse wrote:Automatic web browser refresh after 1 minute

That would be really simple to implement.

DR TEAMCAST wrote:a desktop app that has steam-like notifications when someone logs in to a game

Oh, there's no need for a desktop application just for notifications. The Web Notifications API can handle that easily with just a Web page.

Demo: https://mdn.github.io/to-do-notifications/
API Spec: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ations_API

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#10 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:10 am

I had issues with QUAKE where dcnow would
show as AFO currently online. Solved the problem by changing the dns in q3 to 0.0.0.0
In my second q3 online account then use that account to connect. Just make sure to leave dialup account #1 alone or else it effects the other games . I also think dc now
Is a great contribution
Italian Stallion