Open Source GTAIII

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.
User avatar
DR TEAMCAST
Rank 9
Posts: 966
Contact:

Open Source GTAIII

Post#1 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:53 am

I found this today. It looks like it's been in the works for awhile in early stages, but is starting to gain attention now. It's called OpenRW. An open source GTA3 engine. Really cool stuff, I like seeing open source engine re-implementations

GitHub
https://github.com/rwengine/openrw

Youtube dev videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrgZLI ... IIw7hn-cAy

Dev images http://imgur.com/a/gPJag#0

Out of the many open source engine rewrites, I think that this can totally be ported to Dreamcast. Along with OpenMW (TES Morrowind) and Xash3D (GoldSRC / Half-Life). It'd take a crapton of work, but those would probably be the best possible games to port imo

Who knows, this could eventually work with Vice City and San Andreas. Since I think they all used the same engine, with minor engine improvements between each sequel
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

User avatar
scaryred24
Sunday Shootout
Posts: 666

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#2 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:33 am

I could see 3 and VC to run on a dreamcast, however SA ran on an entirely revamped graphics and physics engine so I can't see myself play that any time soon. Now the only problem is how to get the music streaming to function properly.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)


  • Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

AgentMomo
fire
Posts: 82

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#3 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Anymore on this ? The 3rd GTA was awesome as all hell AND I remember how that was in the NEWS all the time.

Green Ranger
photon blast
Posts: 103

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#4 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:47 pm

AgentMomo wrote:Anymore on this ? The 3rd GTA was awesome as all hell AND I remember how that was in the NEWS all the time.


Here's a link to an unofficial build, haven't tried it yet but based on the github page I think it's a Mac only engine-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ-TsC7whIA

AgentMomo
fire
Posts: 82

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#5 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:21 pm

cool

User avatar
BlueCrab
Developer
Posts: 715

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#6 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath on anyone getting OpenRW working on the Dreamcast any time soon. Just a quick look around the repository and the README for it shows that it requires much more modern GPU support than is even remotely possible on the Dreamcast. They specify that the code requires OpenGL 3.3 support (along with GLSL v3.30 to go along with it). The Dreamcast video hardware has no support for shaders (GLSL) at all, and the OpenGL-like implementations available only support up to roughly OpenGL 1.2.

Basically, if it was even possible to get it to work, the entire rendering portion of the code would have to be rewritten from scratch.

User avatar
DR TEAMCAST
Rank 9
Posts: 966
Contact:

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#7 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:13 pm

BlueCrab wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath on anyone getting OpenRW working on the Dreamcast any time soon. Just a quick look around the repository and the README for it shows that it requires much more modern GPU support than is even remotely possible on the Dreamcast. They specify that the code requires OpenGL 3.3 support (along with GLSL v3.30 to go along with it). The Dreamcast video hardware has no support for shaders (GLSL) at all, and the OpenGL-like implementations available only support up to roughly OpenGL 1.2.

it was cool for you to weigh in. but i'm sure you know how it is when you see old semi-cringe posts you made a long time ago
BlueCrab wrote:Basically, if it was even possible to get it to work, the entire rendering portion of the code would have to be rewritten from scratch.

we can dream 8-)

plus there would be obvious disc swapping involved between islands due to lack of space
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

User avatar
BlueCrab
Developer
Posts: 715

Re: Open Source GTAIII

Post#8 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 pm

I just wanted to make sure (after I noticed the thread from whoever bumped it) that the issues on the technical side were pointed out. ;-)

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Other Consoles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users