Neo Geo X in 2014

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Neo Geo X in 2014

Post#1 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:16 am

have been checking out the Neo Geo X recently as they have come down to around$70 since it was discontinued. The extra game pack is another $70 though, so I wanted to ask whether you guys think it is worth it seeing no more games will be released? Also, did they ever sort out the emulation on the system so that it runs okay, and is it likely to be hacked in the future to play other emulators?

Cheers,

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast

Re: Neo Geo X in 2014

Post#2 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:14 am

Since SNK have severed colaboration with TOMMO things have got really interesting. It seesm much better value for money as a multi platform system, and you can use available roms rather than 'purchase' extra packs. Check out below:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Other/Ne ... sp?c=57535

DreamsDied13101
undertow

Post#3 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 am

If you own an AES system already then this is probably not worth getting unless you just think the handheld system is something you will use.

The emulation issue has not been worked out so games still have some graphical glitches here and there compared to a real AES system and catridge.
It is nothing super terrible unless you own an AES and know how these games should look.

The system itself is a pretty neat replica, but it doesn't quite feel the same. The controller weight feels off - not that the original AES controller was somehow the paragon of what an arcade style controller should feel like.

If you don't have an AES and no desire to ever hand over the cash to get one then this is a great system to add to your collection for a fraction of the cost.

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast

Post#4 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:26 am

DreamsDied13101 wrote:If you own an AES system already then this is probably not worth getting unless you just think the handheld system is something you will use.

The emulation issue has not been worked out so games still have some graphical glitches here and there compared to a real AES system and catridge.
It is nothing super terrible unless you own an AES and know how these games should look.

The system itself is a pretty neat replica, but it doesn't quite feel the same. The controller weight feels off - not that the original AES controller was somehow the paragon of what an arcade style controller should feel like.

If you don't have an AES and no desire to ever hand over the cash to get one then this is a great system to add to your collection for a fraction of the cost.

If you have an AES then it would be pointless to buy the NeoGeo X. The Dreamcast itself has a great emulator in NEO4all, which I play regularly. Given that NeoGeo X is an emulator itself and not NeoGeo architecture, it would make no sense to buy another piece of hardware to do what your DC already can. ( all be it not handheld ) - Though if this is a requirement there are number of 'open source' handhelds available which act as emulators such as GCWZero, or Neo DS on NintendoDS or on a hacked PSP under emulation. ;)

DreamsDied13101
undertow

Post#5 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Yes, but this way you are actually supporting a company that owns/licensed the rights. I always like supporting the video game companies if I can. I think emulation is a nice way to play games no longer being offered.

BionicKoalaBoy wrote:
DreamsDied13101 wrote:If you own an AES system already then this is probably not worth getting unless you just think the handheld system is something you will use.

If you have an AES then it would be pointless to buy the NeoGeo X. The Dreamcast itself has a great emulator in NEO4all, which I play regularly. Given that NeoGeo X is an emulator itself and not NeoGeo architecture, it would make no sense to buy another piece of hardware to do what your DC already can. ( all be it not handheld ) - Though if this is a requirement there are number of 'open source' handhelds available which act as emulators such as GCWZero, or Neo DS on NintendoDS or on a hacked PSP under emulation. ;)

BnGamesReviews
blackout!

Post#6 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Consolizing an MVS seems like the best option for anything related to Neo-Geo unless you have a cab and can stick an MVS mob in it. Its really easy to get JAMMA to VGA and you just would wire your Arcade stick into the PCB itself.

AES is too expensive and NG CD is way too slow.

DreamsDied13101
undertow

Post#7 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:40 pm

I love my consolized MVS, but there is something to having the AES that the collector in me likes.

BnGamesReviews wrote:Consolizing an MVS seems like the best option for anything related to Neo-Geo unless you have a cab and can stick an MVS mob in it. Its really easy to get JAMMA to VGA and you just would wire your Arcade stick into the PCB itself.

AES is too expensive and NG CD is way too slow.

Return to “Other Consoles”