Other Consoles Video Thread

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Force Five Atomiswave beta...could it run on DC?

Post#11 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:31 am

do you have a dump of the original cartridge?
NAOMI netboot image is not interested, only atomiswave cartridge dump

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#12 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:10 pm

megavolt85 wrote:do you have a dump of the original cartridge?
NAOMI netboot image is not interested, only atomiswave cartridge dump

Do you have the hardware to dump it without help from the dumping Union? I

megavolt85
Developer

Post#13 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:32 pm

my knowledge is enough for connecting a GDROM drive to a PC :lol:

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#14 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:27 pm

megavolt85 wrote:my knowledge is enough for connecting a GDROM drive to a PC :lol:

Ah ok. Was just asking. I know the person who holds kenju proto cart. He wouldn't mind having redumped and released independently from the dumping Union just to get it out there in the open. Better than being stuck dumped and unreleased. It's just the matter of finding someone trust worthy and capable.

2Devastado
undertow

Post#15 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Hoping someone comes forward and allows dumping of both these games they seem cool regardless if they were never finished.

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

The Wii U - Batman Arkham City - 3/16

Post#16 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:49 am

I love the Wii U like I love the Dreamcast...oddball failed console with amazing games. Nintendo, just like Sega, managed to make some of their best games on hardware that was struggling to sell. So just like Dreamcast (coming late spring) I wanted to do a series on the hardware and its best games.

Curious what everyone's top ten for the Wii U is?
Last edited by Vgesoterica on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:05 am, edited 10 times in total.

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: The Wii U - a series of videos I am doing

Post#17 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm

The last couple of months I've actually been hunting for and expanding my WiiU collection for the system's best games (and some oddities). There's definitely some great games on the WiiU, but, looking at my WiiU shelf, it severely pales in comparison to the Dreamcast in terms of the amount of great games.

The WiiU is missing almost entire genres like fighting games (outside 'Tekken Tag 2' and 'Pokken Tournament') and shooters of all types; first, third and shmup (and other consoles beat the WiiU in performance for games like 'Call of Duty'). Likewise, all but a few are on Switch now, and in many cases, with better versions.

My top ten, in no particular order:

- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (also on Switch)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (also on Switch)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (also on Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Mario Kart 8 (also on Switch)
- Bayonetta 1 (also on Switch, Xbox 360, Xbox One/Series X/S, PS3, PS4, PC) and Bayonetta 2 (also on Switch)
- Rayman Legends (also on Switch, Xbox 360/Series X/S, PSVita, PS3, PS4, PC)
- Shovel Knight (also on...well almost everything else)
- LEGO City Undercover (also on Switch, Xbox One/Series X/S, PS4, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV (also on Switch, Xbox 360, Xbox One/Series X/S, PS3, PS4, PC)
- Need for Speed Most Wanted U (also on Xbox 360/Series X/S, PS3, PC)

I personally don't think the WiiU Mario entries are the best Mario entries in either 2D or 3D (and they're also improved on Switch). 'Super Mario Maker 2' beats the WiiU original outside of using the Gamepad. The same can be said about 'Splatoon 2' and 'Splatoon.' The other 'Zelda' releases are good, but are remakes/remasters. 'Smash Bros. Ultimate' beats the WiiU version, in my opinion.

When you get down to it, the list is actually quite small. Still solid, but short. But I still enjoy delving into the WiiU's library.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#18 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:16 pm

I was on the fence about Wii U for its entire life. There were a few games I really wanted to play, but not enough of them to justify spending $300 on it. I figured I'd just wait for a price drop, but the thing never got one.

Most of its best games are on Switch now, but they're ridiculously expensive there. $60 for a port of a 5 year old game that originally sold for $50 is highway robbery.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#19 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:03 pm

I was the same: I was waiting for a price drop on the WiiU that never came. The only reason I got a WiiU, which was the summer before the Switch was announced, was because the disc drive in my launch Wii had all but completely died.

It only made sense to get a WiiU at that point.

I bought my WiiU with a couple of essentials, like 'Mario Kart 8,' bought the DLC, and then the Switch along with the WiiU ports with the DLC included were announced. That severely annoyed me, as I always like to get complete/definitive versions of games so the DLC is on disc/cart rather than a separate, digital purchase.

As such I only got a Switch in November 2019, but besides 'Breath of the Wild,' that came with my purchase, and 'Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,' I haven't bothered selling of my WiiU versions that received Switch ports.

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Post#20 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:22 am

DCGX wrote:The last couple of months I've actually been hunting for and expanding my WiiU collection for the system's best games (and some oddities). There's definitely some great games on the WiiU, but, looking at my WiiU shelf, it severely pales in comparison to the Dreamcast in terms of the amount of great games.

The WiiU is missing almost entire genres like fighting games (outside 'Tekken Tag 2' and 'Pokken Tournament') and shooters of all types; first, third and shmup (and other consoles beat the WiiU in performance for games like 'Call of Duty'). Likewise, all but a few are on Switch now, and in many cases, with better versions.

My top ten, in no particular order:

- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (also on Switch)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (also on Switch)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (also on Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Mario Kart 8 (also on Switch)
- Bayonetta 1 (also on Switch, Xbox 360, Xbox One/Series X/S, PS3, PS4, PC) and Bayonetta 2 (also on Switch)
- Rayman Legends (also on Switch, Xbox 360/Series X/S, PSVita, PS3, PS4, PC)
- Shovel Knight (also on...well almost everything else)
- LEGO City Undercover (also on Switch, Xbox One/Series X/S, PS4, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV (also on Switch, Xbox 360, Xbox One/Series X/S, PS3, PS4, PC)
- Need for Speed Most Wanted U (also on Xbox 360/Series X/S, PS3, PC)

I personally don't think the WiiU Mario entries are the best Mario entries in either 2D or 3D (and they're also improved on Switch). 'Super Mario Maker 2' beats the WiiU original outside of using the Gamepad. The same can be said about 'Splatoon 2' and 'Splatoon.' The other 'Zelda' releases are good, but are remakes/remasters. 'Smash Bros. Ultimate' beats the WiiU version, in my opinion.

When you get down to it, the list is actually quite small. Still solid, but short. But I still enjoy delving into the WiiU's library.

No Captain Toad?