Every other Nintendo console is a revolutionary console. The console after that improves on the console.

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: Every other Nintendo console is a revolutionary console. The console after that improves on the console.

Post#21 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Roareye wrote:but with GC component cables at around £200 ATM I can see the appeal for cost.

Just imagine being in america where if you want to use rgb on any console you need to either pay $200 for an upscaler or pay $500 for a pvm :lol:

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Every other Nintendo console is a revolutionary console. The console after that improves on the console.

Post#22 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 pm

Ragfish wrote:
Roareye wrote:but with GC component cables at around £200 ATM I can see the appeal for cost.

Just imagine being in america where if you want to use rgb on any console you need to either pay $200 for an upscaler or pay $500 for a pvm :lol:

Yeah. You guys really got got shafted in quality video outputs for home video. HDMI was arguably the first time you were able to cheaply match PAL video quality. Of course PAL had the issue of 50hz instead of 60hz. It should have meant we had better graphics, since we had a higher screen resolution, but nobody ever programmed in for a console to actually use the extra space. We just usually wound up with borders.

The 80s-90s seemed to have no real happy medium.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#23 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Roareye wrote:Of course PAL had the issue of 50hz instead of 60hz.

My first time seeing super mario 64 in 50hz was painful, I couldn't believe that's how everyone in europe played the game

2koolpa
photon blast

Post#24 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 pm

This dude really wrote a series of novels about the Wii only doing composite video, and it was the crux of his entire argument lol. Now that wii component suddenly exists, it's "worse" than gc.....

And the objective vs subjective thing... I can name incredible Wii games that I don't even personally like. That isn't a contradiction.

There are good games that I don't like.
There are good games that I like.
There are bad games that I don't like.
There are bad games I do like.

Objectively I can say a game is good or bad, subjectively I can say whether or not I like it/enjoy playing it.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#25 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:09 pm

2koolpa wrote:This dude really wrote a series of novels about the Wii only doing composite video, and it was the crux of his entire argument lol. Now that wii component suddenly exists, it's "worse" than gc.....

And the objective vs subjective thing... I can name incredible Wii games that I don't even personally like. That isn't a contradiction.

There are good games that I don't like.
There are good games that I like.
There are bad games that I don't like.
There are bad games I do like.

Objectively I can say a game is good or bad, subjectively I can say whether or not I like it/enjoy playing it.

"This dude" did not use composite as the crux of an argument. It was one of many things I disliked about the system.

As for objective, the "worse than GC component" isn't my opinion. I literally just read other people discussing the fact. That's not even my observation. Here;
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamecube/comme ... _gamecube/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamecube/comme ... component/
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=60 [This one discusses that very early Wii builds may have had better component output, so it is well considered that the Wii's output is worse than it should be)
Objective vs Subjective, I went and looked at what people were saying who use the device. Those came up as the first responses on Google when searching Gamecube Component vs Wii Component btw, if you want to verify.

You're still arguing semantics on the game front. Please do point out where I said the Wii has zero games of note. The hardware is a Gamecube with a downgraded video output and a worse controls (the motion controls were buggy and inaccurate - this was accepted as such by Nintendo when they released the add-on to try and correct the problem). That is objective the facts. Subjectively I never liked the motion control gameplay to begin with, but when it's objectively not that well implemented it doesn't help my subjective opinion. I had a lot of hype for the "Revolution", it died when I saw what they were doing with it. Playing the console cemented my dislike of the hardware and for good reason.

You may have misinterpreted this statement;
It was shovelware, no better than those AtGames controllers you plug direct to your TV. Game developers knew it too, and it was a machine filled with shovelware.

My shovelware comment relates to comparing the hardware to an AtGames release. You mentioned yourself that game developers did the same when they piled shovelware after shovelware onto it.

What I actually said about the games on the Wii (outside of shovelware) was this;
Nintendo released some good games for the Wii. Nintendo always had a knack for that, still do. Outside of their "Nintendo Difference" era, they are generally consistent as some of the best game developers out there. However unlike the N64 era where each unique title was able to stand out and shine, several titles of quality were lost in the quagmire of the shovelware on the Wii. Especially those developed by people outside of Nintendo such as No More Heroes and Mad World.

I stand by that statement. No More Heroes and Mad World did not meet sales expectations, that much was noted in magazines and press outlets of the time, but I openly stated that those two are good non-Nintendo titles, as well as mentioning Nintendo were generally good at creating games.

If you're going to throw around objectivity vs subjectivity around you could at least accurately debate my points rather than go off constantly on a statement I never made. I accepted I was incorrect on Wii component cables, but the point that they are not quite as good as the Gamecube ones is not mine - that comes from other people. If you disagree, you disagree with them not me. You haven't once tried to tackle the motion controls issues, instead making out that I said there are zero titles of value on the system - something my actual comments do not show.

Anyway, I've left my opinion on the system, you're right that it's a bit lengthy (though very much on topic), I'm gonna go back to playing my Dreamcast.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#26 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:36 pm

Here's a comparison between the Wii and Gamecube video output so you can decide for yourself.
https://i.imgur.com/euQS9M7.gif

Keep in mind that this image is zoomed in very far and showing an extremely simple picture, so any differences would be less significant in practice.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#27 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Ragfish wrote:Here's a comparison between the Wii and Gamecube video output so you can decide for yourself.
https://i.imgur.com/euQS9M7.gif

Keep in mind that this image is zoomed in very far and showing an extremely simple picture, so any differences would be less significant in practice.

Thank you. It really does seem the Gamecube is far sharper, though I will concede the difference will be harder to notice in full screen and in motion.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#28 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:39 am

jasondaigo wrote:
mazonemayu wrote:5) the wii u’s maximum resolution is 720p, this is called “hd ready”, it is not hd...

1080p is called Full HD, it is not hd

You know perfectly well what I mean :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#29 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:55 am

Ian Micheal wrote:There is quite a big change on the ps2 is very blurry talking on a pal crt back in the day compared to the dreamcast output the ps2 looked like i need to take the vasoline off the crt

I’m gonna say the magic word here ... “RGB” ;)

The PS2 on a decent consumer CRT, like a B&O mx7000 connected with RGB actually looks very good. Not as good as the rest of its generation, but still very good. The pictures off course don’t do it justisc, as you know how hard it is to take a decent picture of a CRT with a phone :lol:
Attachments
63257BC5-5407-4E07-8165-677627DB7CF3.jpeg
AE862F42-B04F-406E-86FB-60459B1FDB39.jpeg
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#30 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 am