My Gaming Setup

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

My Gaming Setup

Post#1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm

So, I'm finally sharing the game setup that I have. Get the popcorn, because I'm covering everything along with pictures. My gaming setup is, where else, the basement of the house. It's not just a gaming setup, but a general entertainment center with heavy focus on retro video games. Here's some pictures of everything, captured in officially licensed Potato-Vision:

Sanyo 48" HD TV

Audio-Technica LP-60 record player along with 7 records beside it. Originally was a cheap BSR player, which was getting worn by the time it was replaced.

Sega Saturn Model 2 - I've only recently started playing this system, and I love it. Already my second or even first favourite of all the systems; it's currently in a battle between it and the Dreamcast for favourite system.

Nintendo Entertainment System and our old Wii on the shelf below. The NES was $30 for the console and Super Mario Bros. 3; later got an AC adapter for $5, but I still need a controller. The Wii was the first game console we ever had, and as you could guess, we abused it to no end. The SD card flap is missing, as well as the GC controller flap, and the console shuts off if it's left running without a disc for about an hour. It needs a lot of fixing, but I probably won't bother anytime soon (the Wii is one of my least favourite systems, and definitely my least favourite out of the ones in this setup).

Nintendo 64 - Was given to me by a relative who had heard that I liked retro games. Came in pretty good shape with 4 controllers and 14 loose games, though 2 of the controllers now suffer from the common Control Stick issue plaguing N64 controllers.

Sega Dreamcast - My 2nd retro system, and probably still my favourite, or at least the top 3. Really liked this console, even when starting out with mediocre stuff like Star Wars Episode I: Racer and Spirit of Speed. It wasn't until I got Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and some of the other heavy hitters that it was cemented as my favourite system of all time. The Saturn may take its place though...

On the bottom shelf to the left is the Model 2 Sega Genesis, my very first retro console. Loved it in 2014, and I still really like it now (yes, I know I'm late to the game). It was really the only system I was devoted to collecting for for quite some time; I would religiously stop by at the local flea market every Sunday to see what games I could get for my Genesis, and later on my Dreamcast. Not to mention I got an insane deal on it; $25 for a mint, never-opened boxed Genesis. In fact, I still have the box:

I also have 2 controllers for it, an off-brand multiplayer adaptor and 13 games; 7 boxed, 6 loose.

Top to bottom: Sony PlayStation 3, Pioneer Amplifier, Kenwood Double Cassette Deck - The PS3 was the next family console after the Wii. I was initially skeptical about it, but I soon grew to like it, and in the case of my brothers, love it. I always considered it the Netflix and YouTube machine, which is its main purpose now, but it's a pretty good game console, I guess.

The amp and the cassette deck were purchased at the flea market along with the original record player, 2 records and the original set of speakers. The amp sometimes has issues getting the sound to the speakers, occasionally crackling up or the left speaker giving up. But when it works, it works great. The cassette deck works well too, but sometimes stops the cassette at random moments. Not a deal breaker though.

RCA Alarm Clock/CD Player/Radio - Yep...it's just that. It is nice for taking out the auxiliary cord and plugging in an iPod or a computer instead. Moving on.

Sharp brand speakers - The replacement pair for the original cheapo 20W speakers that used to be in the setup. These are pretty good speakers, and that's about it. There's also a Bluetooth receiver on top of the right speaker, but I never use it and I don't even think it works.

From the front, the setup looks nice, but hidden rather poorly in the back...

...is a huge mess of cables! That box on the right is a RadioShack Audio/Video selector; it allows for 2 RCA cable inputs and switches between the two via a dial on the front of it. Not very practical, especially since 6 of these consoles all use AV connections, but it's better than having to reach up to the TV to switch them out. All of the electronics' power cords run down an opening in the back of the wardrobe and into a surge protector.

On the opposite side of the setup is, of course, a couch to play games on. Behind that is my collection of games, cassettes, books and movies. Starting from the top, here are all of the cassettes:

I don't know why I got so many Jim Reeves cassettes... o_0

Onto the games now. First, the Wii collection (or what's left of it):
Yeah...not the greatest selection (I don't even have Mario Galaxy), but you don't know what quality is when you're a kid. In fact, we sold a good chunk of our Wii games to a local game shop. Some of the discs were too scratched up to sell, but whatever.

Next, the PS3 games:
This is not the complete collection of PS3 games; we still have a lot more somewhere else, but these are the ones that I'm willing to have here. Not too bad of a selection here actually.

Here's the DVD selection, which was largely handed down from my dad. These movies are here to pretty much fill the gap on the shelf to not make everything fall over. Right next to the Family Guy DVD on the left is one I made myself for my dad one Christmas; The Giant Claw. XD

Here's all of my Dreamcast games, with one PS1 game mixed in that I keep solely for the music. It doesn't even load up on the PS3. Oh well. The clear case next to Sonic Adventure is Crazy Taxi.

These are all my Genesis games I've collected over the years. Of course, Sonic 2 is my favourite.

The cartridge at the bottom is Zero Tolerance; the label is hard to see due to the cartridge's weird shape.
Onto the N64 library that was given to me, and there's a lot of heavy hitters for sure:

Pretty great little collection, eh? Except for the abundance of wrestling shovelware.

This is what the games look like on the shelf; the CD cases are in the way because I have nowhere else to put them.

Here's the tiny book shelf, along with my 2 Saturn games; Fighters Megamix and Christmas NiGHTS,

Over at the desk is a stack of blank/home recorded cassettes, and finally:

The cassette tapes that are worn, and the DVDs that I don't like are tucked away behind the couch.

Overall, I think it's a decent setup, even if it is a bit cluttered. :)

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: My Gaming Setup

Post#2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am

I would agree, if I could see anything in most of those pictures. You need to either turn off the flash, turn on some lights or increase your aperture.

krssn
Metallic

Post#3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm

DCGX wrote:I would agree, if I could see anything in most of those pictures. You need to either turn off the flash, turn on some lights or increase your aperture.

I was just going to ask what model potato he used for the pics... :lol:

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#4 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

krssn wrote:I was just going to ask what model potato he used for the pics... :lol:

This: https://huehd.com/products/hue-hd-camera/

Got it for Christmas a few years ago. The site is filled with lies...horrible picture quality, as you can tell. I took the best pictures I could with it. I would have used a smartphone to take these pics if I had one... :roll: