Issue with Atomiswave fighting game conversions on DC Arcade Stick

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Issue with Atomiswave fighting game conversions on DC Arcade Stick

Post#21 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:53 am

The button mapping @dubcity uses makes good sense and is a good compromise for pad and stick users. Dreamcast arcade stick users will just have to live with the "C" button.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:14 am

MoeFoh wrote:The button mapping @dubcity uses makes good sense and is a good compromise for pad and stick users. Dreamcast arcade stick users will just have to live with the "C" button.

In most of the atomiswave game threads people requested more Capcom like controls with punches on upper buttons and kicks on lower buttons. This is the style that I like also. So I tried to get every game as close to that as I could. The problem is some of the games don't have to ability to change buttons in the service menu.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#23 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:24 am

fraggle200 wrote: I saw this thread when it was initially posted and started looking into this and quickly got lost as I've never tried to remap controllers in a game before and that's without trying to consider how the inputs are stored or where they're stored and called from. I could find a few guides on PSX stuff but DC remapping is something that I couldn't find anything on at all to even try to understand how it all works to then take a dive in.

If anyone else was looking at it then they may have come up against the same barriers. I suppose, ideally, if someone was able to document 1 remap on an Atomiswave game then it would make the roads into the others getting done a whole load easier and give folk like me a way in with some guidance on where to start and what to consider but I realise that in itself would be a lot of work. If there's any guides out there for DC that you know of then fire me the link, I'm more than happy to do the work myself but, like I said before, I just got lost in it all to even know where to begin.

Pretty sure i saw somewhere that Megavolt had more or less said he was done with the Atomiswave stuff so there's probably next to no chance he'd consider remapping the controls.

The way to change buttons is to use demul with the original atomiswave arcade roms, bios files and a controller. You have to map the controller buttons in demul setting like a Dreamcast. Then start each game up individually. Go into the service menu of each game and change button config. Then save and exit. This creates the sram settings. Then use different software to insert sram file into the atomiswave DC conversion of same game.

fraggle200
chill

Post#24 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 pm

dubcity wrote:
The way to change buttons is to use demul with the original atomiswave arcade roms, bios files and a controller. You have to map the controller buttons in demul setting like a Dreamcast. Then start each game up individually. Go into the service menu of each game and change button config. Then save and exit. This creates the sram settings. Then use different software to insert sram file into the atomiswave DC conversion of same game.

this very thing actually dawned on me about an hour ago. I'll take a poke about and see what I can see.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#25 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:50 pm

Thanks goes to @dubcity for the yeoman effort on these 'sram' builds. The dubcity collection just gets better and better!

https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewto ... 03#p140265
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

RadiantAnsel
noob

Post#26 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:20 pm

dubcity wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:The button mapping @dubcity uses makes good sense and is a good compromise for pad and stick users. Dreamcast arcade stick users will just have to live with the "C" button.

In most of the atomiswave game threads people requested more Capcom like controls with punches on upper buttons and kicks on lower buttons. This is the style that I like also. So I tried to get every game as close to that as I could. The problem is some of the games don't have to ability to change buttons in the service menu.

The issue also comes that the arcade stick doesn't map "Z" as the third upper button, so unleast people does custom wiring, not gonna happen.

If I could and had the knowledge I could do it myself, because I'm sure megavolt is not going to do that, and is completely respectable, just a tad sad for me that we were ***so close***, we are literally 99% of having actual arcade perfect ports of said games.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#27 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 pm

RadiantAnsel wrote:The issue also comes that the arcade stick doesn't map "Z" as the third upper button, so unleast people does custom wiring, not gonna happen.

If I could and had the knowledge I could do it myself, because I'm sure megavolt is not going to do that, and is completely respectable, just a tad sad for me that we were ***so close***, we are literally 99% of having actual arcade perfect ports of said games.

True. Kenju and one other game can not change button configs or else I would do it. I doubt Megavolt has the time to work on this. He is really busy with work and life stuff.

AyeYoYoYOOO
Anarki

Post#28 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 pm

longsun_zhao wrote:I would love to see this change as well. One of the best things about the Dreamcast is that all the fighting games have their standard arcade layouts as default - no adjustments are ever needed! You just boot up the game and hit Vs mode.

It would be amazing to have the Atomiswave games match.

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that while the buttons can be reconfigured in the service menu, the in-game prompts are not updated to match. For example, in KoF Neowave, before every match there is a screen that prompts each player to select the order of their team. The buttons are labelled A, B, and C. When played on an arcade machine, this is consistent with the Neo Geo games in the series. However, even with the button layout changed to match the via hex edit or service menu for the Atomiswave, the prompts will not be consistent with other KoF games, because the prompts are just a static art asset. Changing the button layout to match all other Dreamcast games will naturally fix this problem.
100% This.
AF.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#29 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Samurai Showdown 6 and Kenju now have remapped buttons thanks to Megavolt85. He hard coded the button scheme to the correct configuration.

Redownload from first post of each both game threads.

Sax20
lithium

Post#30 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:55 pm

dubcity wrote:Samurai Showdown 6 and Kenju now have remapped buttons thanks to Megavolt85. He hard coded the button scheme to the correct configuration.

Redownload from first post of each both game threads.

For now, these two fighting games are the only ones with correct configuration, the others not yet?