Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

slivercr
core

Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 am

DISCLAIMER:

I try to keep the FAQ as accurate as possible, but I have no insider info, no deep knowledge of the conversion mechanism, and I have never developed for the Dreamcast.

I am NOT associated with the devs releasing these games, I just wrote the FAQ.

RELEASED GAMES
Since its implied that all games will eventually be converted, below is a list of all Atomiswave games (taken from demul) with a link to their original release thread. Next to each link you'll find the date of the latest release for each game and its status (based on player comments from all the release thread).

Demolish Fist [yzb] --- [2020-11-18] Beatable!
Dirty Pigskin Football [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-29] New release, testing!
Dolphin Blue [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-26] Bugged, but beatable. [Reference]
Extreme Hunting
Extreme Hunting 2
Faster Than Speed [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-14] Beatable!
Guilty Gear Isuka [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-25] Fixes released, testing!
Guilty Gear X Version 1.5 [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-21] New release, testing!
Hokuto No Ken / Fist of the North Star [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-20] Reports of freezing on all major ODEs
Hustle Tamaire Kyousou / Animal Basket
The King of Fighters XI [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-06] Reports of freezing on GDEmu clones
The King of Fighters Neowave [yzb] --- [2020-11-26, download fix at the bottom of release post] Fixes released, testing!
Knights of Valour The Seven Spirits [yzb] --- [2020-11-18, download fix from release post] Beatable!
Maximum Speed [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-15] Beatable!
Metal Slug 6 [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-03] Beatable!
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-29, download SD version (reference)] Fixes released, testing!
Net Select Keiba Victory Furlong
Ranger Mission [megavolt85] --- [2020-12-01] New release, testing!
The Rumble Fish [yzb] --- [2020-11-19] Beatable!
The Rumble Fish 2 [yzb] --- [2020-11-22] Beatable!
Salary Man Kintarou
Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden / Samurai Showdown VI [megavolt85] --- [2020-11-08] Beatable!
Sega Bass Fishing Challenge
Sega Clay Challenge [megavolt85] --- [2020-12-19] New release, testing!
Sports Shooting USA [megavolt85] --- [2020-12-08] New release, testing!
Sushi Bar [yzb] --- [2020-11-25] Beatable!

Don't forget to thank megavolt85 and yzb for all of their hard work!
You can donate to megavolt85 via paypal to [email protected] or at the website https://vk.com/dreamrare?w=app6471849_-189768890

HARDWARE RELATED QUESTIONS

What's an "Atomiswave"?
An arcade system from Sammy, the hardware is based almost 1 to 1 on Dreamcast hardware, which allows these conversions to be possible.

The notable differences are in the inputs, game loading mechanism (cartridges instead of GD-ROM), and the presence of SRAM to store settings and high scores. These systems are the ones that need to be adapted for the games to run on the Dreamcast

What's the conversion process?
VERY ROUGHLY, only certain portions of the game must be retouched in order to allow the Dreamcast to run them natively;
-input mapping,
-game loading,
-SRAM configurations.
megavolt85, and now also yzb, implements these functions and builds a GDI image compatible with the Dreamcast.
Reference: MetalliC @ obscuregamers

Is it emulation? How are these games running so well?!?
No, its a conversion where only a few things are re-implemented. Since the games' code is mostly untouched, and the hardware is essentially the same, the games run exactly as they should.

We refer to these games as conversions instead of ports because no source code is being recompiled: the target hardware is the same.

Game XXXX doesn't run properly on YYYY emulator, what do I do?
The release threads focus on porting Atomiswave to real Dreamcast hardware. If the game is reported as working properly on the Dreamcast, but doesn't work properly on an emulator, contact the developers of the emulator to ask for support.

There is slowdown in XXXX game when playing on Dreamcast, but there's no slowdown on YYYY emulator, what gives?
The emulator is not accurate. The games run as they should, slowdown and all, on the Dreamcast.

Why cant I access the service menu in-game?
See next question.

Are there any drawbacks or limitations?
-Game configuration is stored in SRAM, so can't be changed during runtime. Instead SRAM configurations must be injected into the GDI before playing.
-It has been stated by megavolt85 that since Atomiswave games run off cartridges, access time and reading speed from a GD-ROM may not be sufficient to have the games running as they should. See for example
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=140#p136836
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=140#p136843
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=150#p136858
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=150#p136861

Could SRAM settings be stored in the VMU, in order to change settings while the game is running/save high scores?
Not at the moment, for a couple of reasons: there's no space to hack functions allowing this into the code, and if it were done saves would take a lot of space on the VMU.
Reference: megavolt85

But as soon as TerraOnion implements SRAM saving into MODE, I will be able to save my SRAM settings and high scores, right?
No. The games must be reworked by megavolt85 or yzb with new functions to allow this feature in MODE.
Reference: BmNT on planned MODE features

Why is the coin input not mapped to a button in the controller?
The coin input uses the G2 bus, i.e., the expansion port, to receive commands; it doesn't use the controller inputs.

GAME RELATED QUESTIONS

Which games are being converted?
Its implied that ALL games will be eventually converted to the Dreamcast.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING XXXXX GAME?!?!?!?!
We'll get it whenever megavolt85 or yzb release it. Chill.

Will Kenju / Force Five / Premier Eleven be ported?
There are no clean dumps of these games available, only Naomi conversions. A clean dump is needed when working on Atomiswave > Dreamcast conversions, so for the time being the games will not be worked on.

Can I do anything to help?
Besides showing your support, the best thing you can do is play the games. Play them A LOT. Report bugs or freezes if they happen, that way the devs will have a better idea of the problems when they start working on bugfixes. If you can, try to find ways to reproduce the problem, i.e., a procedure which always results in the problem happening.

Ideally, don't say a game "works perfect" because you managed to play for 10m without any problems. Play the game A LOT. If it works great after a long time, numerous times, then report it as "working perfect".

CAN YOU FIX THE GAME NOW SO I CAN PLAY IT?!?!?!?! I WANT TO PLAY IT!!!!!!
Once again, chill. Devs are busy, they will get to bugs when they can, if they can. megavolt85 has stated that he will work on bugfixes and customization once all games are ported over to the Dreamcast. If you want it NOW, I encourage you to work on it yourself.

CAN I GET CDI / SERIAL PORT VERSION OF THIS GAME?!?!?!?!
The release threads are for GDI versions, and megavolt85 has stated that he will not be working on CDI versions but will instead leave that to yzb. PLEASE DONT CLUTTER THE RELEASE THREAD ASKING FOR VERSIONS OTHER THAN GDI, there are other threads for this;
Atomiswave to Dreamcast CDI releases centralization
The Atomiswave games DOES work on the serial port.

For the moment, it is recommended to avoid burning CDI images. If your Dreamcast doesn't have an ODE, its preferable to use an SD Adapter for the Serial Port, understanding of course that a couple of games will not work that way.

CAN I GET AN IMAGE CONFIGURED THE WAY I LIKE IT?!?!?!?!
Please, configure it yourself and don't clutter the release thread. See below on how to do this.

How do I change SRAM settings?
Its a fairly easy process, but you will need a few things:
-demul emulator,
-Atomiswave bios to use with demul,
-Atomiswave ROM of the game you want to change settings,
-dd (if you're on windows, get it here)
-5 minutes or less of your time.

Steps:
-Decompress demul and open the folder where it was decompressed,
-make a new folder called "roms", and add the Atomiswave BIOS and game ROMs to this folder,
-launch demul, load the game you want to change the settings of,
-when the game loads, press F4 to enter the Service Menu. You navigate this menu pressing F4, and change/confirm options pressing F2,
-make the changes you want to the game config: difficulty, language, controls (explained below in detail), etc,
-save the config of the Service menu by navigating to "Exit" and pressing F2, the game will reload with the new settings,
-close demul, there will now be a folder called "nvram" which contains ROMNAME.sram, copy this file to the folder with the GDI image of the same game.
-launch the command prompt and navigate to the GDI's location (fast way to do this on Windows: click on the address bar, replace the address with 'cmd'. press Enter),
-run the appropriate dd command for your game, check the release thread.
Video tutorial by RetrOrigin
Tutorial in French by dreamcast-news

Below are the dd commands for each game;

Code: Select all

Demolish Fist
dd if=demofist.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=57644 count=6

Dirty Pigskin Football
dd if=dirtypig.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=57645 count=10

Dolphin Blue
dd if=dolphin.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=41260 count=8

Faster Than Speed
dd if=ftspeed.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=49452 count=8

Fist of the North Star / Hokuto No Ken
dd if=fotns.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=57644 count=8

Guilty Gear Isuka
dd if=ggisuka.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=61197 count=10

Guilty Gear X Version 1.5
dd if=ggx15.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=58168 count=16

The King of Fighters Neowave
dd if=kofnwj.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=57644 count=6

The King of Fighters XI
dd if=kofxi.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=114988 count=8

Knights of Valour The Seven Spirits
!!! you need to download the updated track04 !!!
dd if=kov7sprt.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=57644 count=8

Maximum Speed
dd if=maxspeed.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=41260 count=12

Metal Slug 6
dd if=mslug6.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=65836 count=6

Neogeo Battle Coliseum
dd if=ngbc.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=114988 count=8

Ranger Mission
dd if=rangrmsn.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=41260 count=10

The Rumble Fish
dd if=rumblef.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=57644 count=6

The Rumble Fish 2
dd if=rumblef2.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=98604 count=10

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden / Samurai Shodown VI
dd if=samsptk.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=114988 count=8

Sports Shooting USA
dd if=sprtshot.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=33068

Sushi Bar
dd if=sushibar.sram of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=18941 count=6

How do I change the control scheme?
There are 2 mappings at work here: how demul maps the buttons for Atomiswave games, and how megavolt85 and yzb map the Dreamcast buttons to Atomiswave games. Note that demul's own settings have no influence on how the game will play on Dreamcast, i.e., it doesn't matter if you map demul to a controller, leave the default keyboard map, etc.

The only thing that matters is how you setup the Service Menu.

The mappings from Atomiswave to Dreamcast are functions hardcoded into the game by megavolt85 / yzb and cannot be changed. Fortunately, the service menu can be used to change the control scheme.

The default mapping for most games being released is shown below in a Dreamcast Arcade Stick as reference;

ATOMISWAVE INPUTS ON TOP
                                           _____      _____      _____
               ___                        /  4  \    /  5  \    /  -  \
              |   |                       |  X  |    |  Y  |    |  Z  |
   STICK      |   |         _____         \_____/    \_____/    \_____/
              \   /        /START\   
               | |         |START|         _____      _____      _____
   D-PAD      _| |_        \_____/        /  1  \    /  2  \    /  3  \
ANALOG STICK / | | \                      |  A  |    |  B  |    |C/L/R|
             \_____/                      \_____/    \_____/    \_____/

DREAMCAST INPUTS BELOW

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 NOTES:
-Metal Slug doesn't use Dreamcast R
-Demolish Fist / Knights of Valour map 1 > X, 2 > A, 3 > B
-For driving games, see next question.

To change the control scheme of a game, enter the Service Menu (see previous question) and map each action to the Dreamcast button you want, using the diagram above. E.g.; default Metal Slug 6 control scheme is

Shot : 1
Jump : 2
Bomb : 3
Special : 4
Change : 5

Which leaves Grenades on the L button if you use a normal pad, or C if you use an Arcade Stick. If you want to map, lets say, Bombs to Y and Change to L on the Dreamcast controller, then your Service menu should look like this,

Shot : 1
Jump : 2
Bomb : 5
Special : 4
Change : 3

Remember, the only thing that matters is how you setup the Service Menu.

Can I change the controls of driving games?
Faster Than Speed and Maximum Speed use the following mapping and it can't be changed.

ATOMISWAVE     > DREAMCAST
Accelerate     > R
Brake          > L
Steering wheel > Analog stick
Shift Up       > B
Shift Down     > A
Start          > Start / Y
Boost          > X (Faster Than Speed only)

I changed the SRAM of Faster Than Speed / Maximum Speed and now controls don't work. What's going on?
demul's configuration for the arcade analog inputs is T, F, G, H (look at your keyboard to make sense of them).

When you first launch either of the driving games, you will be asked to calibrate your analog inputs. Follow the instructions on screen. If using default demul controls, this means pressing F, H, T, G, 1.

If you fail to do this the first time you launch the game, your analog inputs will not work in demul. If you then use the generated SRAM to change configurations on the GDI, your analog inputs will not work on the Dreamcast. Navigate to the nvram folder inside demul's directory and delete the corresponding .sram file, launch the game again and calibrate the inputs.

Can I play lightgun games without a lightgun?
No, you need a lightgun.

I have a lightgun but the game is not responding, what do I do?
Make sure that you
a) Plug the first and second player lightguns to ports 3 and 4 of the Dreamcast respectively
b) Are using a CRT display

Can I change the artwork of the game?
You will once again need dd. It can be done as follows:

-download dd.exe and unpack to folder with game
-put your 0GDTEX.PVR inside folder with game
-rename track03.iso to backup.iso
-open the command prompt and navigate to the folder with the GDI
-run the following commands

dd if=backup.iso of=track03.iso bs=2048 count=21
dd if=0GDTEX.PVR of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=21
dd if=backup.iso of=track03.iso bs=1 seek=174112 skip=174112 count=2016
dd if=backup.iso of=track03.iso bs=2048 seek=86 skip=86
Reference 1, Reference 2

There is also a thread devoted to custom art for the releases:
Atomiswave to Dreamcast - Custom Covers
Last edited by slivercr on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 56 times in total.

slivercr
core

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 pm

If there's any info that you feel should be in the FAQ, add it below and Ill edit it in!
Let's try to keep this near the top so newcomers will find it easy and hopefully release threads won't be as cluttered with the same questions over and over.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 am

I think this needs to be stickied. Great thread!

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#4 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 am

megavolt85 wrote:
Ardiloso wrote:This is weird. If you try to configure the game in demul and import the sram, the controls will stop working properly (no more steering, accel, brake).

when you run demul first time need calibrate wheel, after press start and only when game boot you can press service button and change settings
remove sram from nvram folder and start all over again

Maximum Speed wheel calibration. Maybe add?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Eternal-Krauser
noob

Post#5 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:57 am

I can only be extremely grateful to these wonderful people megavolt85 and yzb, to be able to have so many new games that take advantage of the tremendous technical capabilities of Dreamcast is simply incredible, I will be waiting impatiently for the remaining releases.

Thank you very much once again megavolt85 and yzb !!!!

slivercr
core

Post#6 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am

MoeFoh wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:
Ardiloso wrote:This is weird. If you try to configure the game in demul and import the sram, the controls will stop working properly (no more steering, accel, brake).

when you run demul first time need calibrate wheel, after press start and only when game boot you can press service button and change settings
remove sram from nvram folder and start all over again

Maximum Speed wheel calibration. Maybe add?

Added, thanks!

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:50 am

slivercr wrote:Can I change the artwork of the game?
It can be done with either of these methods:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=100#p136767
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=250#p137309

remove first method, is work very slow, second method same, but work fast

slivercr wrote:All of this is awesome! Is there a way I can donate to megavolt85?

add PayPal transfer to [email protected]

ianmoone
noob

Post#8 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Would I be safe getting the following:

GDEMU DC Dreamcast V5.15B Free Disk Module Optical Drive Simulation Board
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-GDEMU-DC-Dreamcast-V5-15B-Free-Disk-Module-Optical-Drive-Simulation-Board/313223881434?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I currently have a bog standard DC and want to mod in order to play these awesome games.

Huge praise indeed to all involved (megavolt85, yzb)!!

Please advise or recommend.

slivercr
core

Post#9 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:02 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
slivercr wrote:Can I change the artwork of the game?
It can be done with either of these methods:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=100#p136767
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563&start=250#p137309

remove first method, is work very slow, second method same, but work fast

slivercr wrote:All of this is awesome! Is there a way I can donate to megavolt85?

add PayPal transfer to [email protected]

Changes made.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Cool to see the Dreamcast community come together on this project - custom art work, faq, custom sram, reddit post, youtube videos, etc. Really great stuff from talented people.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski