The Atomiswave games DOES work on the serial port.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

KmusDC
fire

Re: The Atomiswave games DOES work on the serial port.

Post#171 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 pm

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#172 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:58 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:https://mega.nz/folder/3E4EWIhJ#UjbfpjtYCS1nqUxfYpR7ig
added Metal Slug 6 for SD mod

Thank you again i did a video showing it running on the serial port..

settings retro dream
Thank you megavolt85
Metal slug 6 added version for SD card
loader 0.6.6 loader 11
loader adress 8CFE8000
bandicam 2021-11-27 07-15-37-776.jpg
Runs much better then from a cdr that's for sure :)

I see other people running not the same memory address as me wonder how many work or what really is the correct i know the above works fine..

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#173 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 pm

Just a question. Premise - Dreamcast with only optical drive. Using the full version of Dreamshell on a CD, with RetroDream, with the GDI version of the Atomiswave games on the CD. Would it work? Speed?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#174 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:40 am

MoeFoh wrote:Just a question. Premise - Dreamcast with only optical drive. Using the full version of Dreamshell on a CD, with RetroDream, with the GDI version of the Atomiswave games on the CD. Would it work? Speed?

I did every one and video yes they all work i use gdi's even optimized daytona usa 2001 for the serial port..

check my channel i do a video of each running on the serial port using gdi files..

they all run fullspeed with about up to 10 sec loading time really only change is some loading in game is perfect..

not going to run them from a cdr you run them from the plug in serial port reader which is using the gdi giles..

forget cdr for anything like this..

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#175 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:05 am

Of course you can use dreamshell for a cd for the same result :)

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#176 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37 am

MoeFoh wrote:Just a question. Premise - Dreamcast with only optical drive. Using the full version of Dreamshell on a CD, with RetroDream, with the GDI version of the Atomiswave games on the CD. Would it work? Speed?

You could use retrodream from cd of course. The problem in this scenario is running atomiswave from cd even in gdi. IMO it won't work. Atomiswave games were originally cartridge based with faster seek times than gd-rom. Dreamcast gd-rom drive cannot send data as fast as some of these games need (cough metal slug 6 cough). Otherwise yzb and megavolt would have made cdi's of the whole set by now. I hope that I'm proven wrong someday. Just so all the original hardware guys can be satisfied.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#177 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:53 am

dubcity wrote:

You could use retrodream from cd of course. The problem in this scenario is running atomiswave from cd even in gdi. IMO it won't work. Atomiswave games were originally cartridge based with faster seek times than gd-rom. Dreamcast gd-rom drive cannot send data as fast as some of these games need (cough metal slug 6 cough). Otherwise yzb and megavolt would have made cdi's of the whole set by now. I hope that I'm proven wrong someday. Just so all the original hardware guys can be satisfied.

Your not wrong on cdr it cant be done this hardware not pie in the sky want just not possbile..

cdr is not like it was meant for running games mil-cd format is max 4x which = serial port speed but with moving parts for loading data this is..

also why we was having problems with 4xm on cdr as well it run proper on gdrom disk not a cdr.. only the first 3mins is high speed

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#178 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 am

Add on top of that the overhead program changing cartridge calls to gdi calls adds to cpu work. Change gdi calls to cd calls + cd slow read speed and it won't work.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#179 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:55 am

chance.gif
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#180 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:59 am

MoeFoh wrote:chance.gif

megavolt85 wrote:
bjankins1 wrote:Cdi?

There have been quite a few homebrews lately, have you counted how much money you spend on CD-Rs?
maybe it's time to buy an SD adapter and start saving money?
moreover, the linear read speed of CD-R and SD is about the same, and random reading of an SD card is much faster than that of CD-R

Never a chance from cdr it's only about the speed of 4x serial port but not as fast seek speed or read..

Milcd is not normal dreamcast format to run games anyway so mute point when people saying i want a cdi running on unmodded console.. your modding it when using a cdr anyways..