Formula 1 : Season Starts | Sun 25th March (AUSTRALIAN GP)

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DreamcastUK
brutal

Formula 1 : Season Starts | Sun 25th March (AUSTRALIAN GP)

Post#1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi there

As the title says the Formula 1 session starts on the 25th March, so I wondered if anyone would be interested in taking part in a Formula 1 session on Monaco GP online, meetup and race on the tracks at the same day as the real races (only do the courses that are in the game, if the track isn’t in the game there won’t be a meetup on that day).

I will make a table of racers and then give points for their position finishing just like real life, and then see how would be crowned champion.

Wonder if there is any interest in this or am I wasting my time.
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Chael
fire

Re: Formula 1 : Season Starts | Sun 25th March (AUSTRALIAN GP)

Post#2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 am

I would have joined but I'm away from home for a while.

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:53 am

Chael wrote:I would have joined but I'm away from home for a while.

That’s a shame, well there doesn’t seem to be much interest, reached out on the Skype / Discord and Facebook groups with little or no response.
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

moi
blackout!

Post#4 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am

DreamcastUK wrote:Hi there

As the title says the Formula 1 session starts on the 25th March, so I wondered if anyone would be interested in taking part in a Formula 1 session on Monaco GP online, meetup and race on the tracks at the same day as the real races (only do the courses that are in the game, if the track isn’t in the game there won’t be a meetup on that day).

I will make a table of racers and then give points for their position finishing just like real life, and then see how would be crowned champion.

Wonder if there is any interest in this or am I wasting my time.

That's a great idea. I've been thinking about and talking to a lot of people in Monaco's ingame and lobby chats as well.
For the events we could post some promotional videos about the current track. FIA's got an awesome youtube channel with informative clips and track guides:

Also since there are people who don't like players cutting corners we could establish some gameplay rules such as no cutting corners at all or only cutting corners if you are holding last position.

There are some more ideas:

-simulation mode or arcade mode - playing some short arcade races as warmup followed by a longer(or even full) race with qualifying etc in simulation mode an hour or so before the real race begins

-if the current real world track is not in the game, define a track that may look similar to the one in the game in order to play that one instead

-I'll be trying to mod the track's textures to make it look more like the real world track
So there will probably be an updated SDISO version of the game to download for people who are using DreamShell

-maybe having rankings on the forums and even some kind of championship if people are interested(as DCUK suggested)

I also had/heard some suggestions/questions I would like to ask Shou:

- is it possible to have the lap records archived and reset after a specific time period, kinda like having "seasons" and distinguishing between current and all-time records?

- is it possible to have separate rankings for lap/track times for simulation and arcade mode? There is no chance to beat an arcade record time in simulation mode, since simu mode is way more difficult and tends to punish corner cutters such as myself way more often than in arcade mode :D
Last edited by moi on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chael
fire

Post#5 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am

DreamcastUK wrote:

That’s a shame, well there doesn’t seem to be much interest, reached out on the Skype / Discord and Facebook groups with little or no response.

24h is not enough to know, from my experience of organizing online tournaments you need 2-3 weeks regularly reminding everybody x) And you can contact a few people individually too in case they don't follow those groups.
Twitter helps too, like spamming challonge link on there. But it's true that we aren't a lot.
Last edited by Chael on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Responded below
Last edited by DreamcastUK on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#7 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:24 pm

24h is not enough to know, from my experience of organizing online tournaments you need 2-3 weeks regularly reminding everybody x) And you can contact a few people individually too in case they don't follow those groups.
Twitter helps too. But it's true that we aren't a lot.

Unclear where your getting 24hrs from - it would be five days for the first race (first race is on the 25th as per title of the post)

moi wrote:

That's a great idea. I've been thinking about and talking to a lot of people in Monaco's ingame and lobby chats as well.
For the events we could post some promotional videos about the current track. FIA's got an awesome youtube channel with informative clips and track guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QPLqg2VFQ

Some really good points there and it seems like you’re on the same wave length as me to get something special out of this.

Think only way to stop/punish cheaters cutting corners is to watch replays back then deduct points afterwards.

I think it’s too short notice to start this Sunday however the first race can be slightly not in sync with the real like Australia GP and once everything is set, we can focus on the rest of the session.

Maybe doing like you say little videos of the tracks and also using parts of the games intro which is quite good, to drum up interest for the next race of the session.

Think it should just be arcade mode of each of the tracks , as qualifying and simulation take up a lot of time and in most occasions when I’ve played online people tend to leave half way thru a race if it lasts too long.

Another thing to think about is everyone’s time zones and meeting up together for the race.

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#8 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:38 pm

off topic but.. its a shame the game allows the corner cutting..

Chael
fire

Post#9 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 am

I meant you can't give up or conclude that there is no interest just 24h after announcing your event! Of course you won't have response. Australia might be a bit too soon for the word of mouth to work. And you need to define the time.

As for corner cutting yeah well the game doesn't seem really "finished". The worst is pit stop cutting in Spa x) Personally I don't mind, it's part of the game, which is far from true f1 even in sim anyways.
But I'd be fine with not allowing it too if we agree on an etiquette like Moi said. Not that my opinion matters since I won't be here before a while.

Altough often people just miss a turn and end up cutting corner involuntarily. And the records done with shortcuts would be unbeatable.

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#10 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 am

It was just where you said the above that threw me.

HuntrRose wrote:off topic but.. its a shame the game allows the corner cutting..

It’s a shame, however it I am able to replay other drivers I would deduct points for cheating if not slowing down or having no option to cut corner

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Return to “Monaco Grand Prix Online”