Blueretro Dreamcast controller board replacement in development that brings native Bluetooth support!

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Blueretro Dreamcast controller board replacement in development that brings native Bluetooth support!

Post#1 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:37 pm

I don't know how many folks are familiar with the Blueretro controller box adapter that allows modern controllers to work on retro systems, but they made something more impressive that was an internal controller port board replacement for the GameCube that has built-in Bluetooth, power cycle, and sleep modes, as well as other cool features.

Well, they basically announced that they will be making one for the Dreamcast, but it is still in the research and planning stages. Imagine built-in memory card support and CMOS coin cell battery or built-in small LIPO that would always recharge itself.

You can check out the tweet below, but here is the post.

https://twitter.com/collingall/status/1 ... LBm61qRVyA

fraggle200
chill

Re: Blueretro Dreamcast controller board replacement in development that brings native Bluetooth support!

Post#2 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:07 am

I read this post from Greg and didn't even register it was for DC. for some reason I thought it was just a modification they were doing to the GC board before it went live. DOH!

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Blueretro Dreamcast controller board replacement in development that brings native Bluetooth support!

Post#3 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:07 am

do you know if this system manage the second thumbstick for quake 3, half life etc... ?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:20 am

Oh that is a very good question. I would imagine it would be handled hopefully similarly to how the Brook Wingman SD adapter works. I was able to play Half Life with the right stick for aiming with the Wingman. I will be sure to ask or suggest this feature when they get closer to release. The GameCube replacement board is going for $95 US, so I think it should be a similar price point. The GameCube version is chock full of features and is going to be getting firmware updates so this one for Dreamcast should improve over time as well. That one for the Nintendo console has the ability to be updated over WiFi I believe so I would reckon the same would happen for Dreamcast.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:12 pm

fafadou wrote:do you know if this system manage the second thumbstick for quake 3, half life etc... ?

yep, need enable alternate controls

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:58 pm

It's very interesting !
Thanks for answering.

nomnivore7531
noob

Post#7 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:43 pm

Hey, I had the same idea just the other day, but the only thing I've had time to do is tack a few wires to the main board.
PXL_20220906_214708908.jpg

Moo
rebel

Post#8 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:25 am

I've been using the BlueRetro project for a while now and it's been rock solid. I prefer an external solution since I only need a single microcontroller that I can switch between for all my consoles as opposed to a replacement internal board.

Only thing I wish it had sooner was VMU support, that's on the roadmap but it's not a feature being worked on just yet.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#9 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:53 pm

Moo wrote:Only thing I wish it had sooner was VMU support, that's on the roadmap but it's not a feature being worked on just yet.

Megavolt still ahead ;)

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#10 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:29 pm

Looks pretty cool!

Its sad the lack of BT options for DC.

Yeah I know theres Dreamconn but it costs a metric ton.

I hope Retrobit still comes through one day.