Bernie Stolar Passes Away

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Bernie Stolar Passes Away

Post#11 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Well that is really sad.
Thanks Mr. Bernie Stolar, for helping make a big part of gaming history, and helping to make a dream come true.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#12 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:49 pm

Nintendo Life posted about Stolar's passing, and man, some of the comments are pretty mean.

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#13 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:39 am

DCGX wrote:Nintendo Life posted about Stolar's passing, and man, some of the comments are pretty mean.

I saw some of those quotes what is wrong with those people. Essentially just people being mad about what games he let over from Japan

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#14 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:00 pm

Who are "Pretendo Life" anyway?...lol. Thanks for the heads up, DCGX.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#15 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:24 am

Nintendo Life usually has some pretty toxic comment sections, but they're the most comprehensive for Nintendo news, in my opinion. I have to get it somewhere! I do have Nintendo systems too! Other console manufacturers exist!

Just kidding around. RIP Bernie.

PopetheRevXXVIII
rebel

Post#16 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:46 pm

I'm Still bitter about "The Saturn is not our future"
He denied the west many games.

But he seemed like a very nice man. Very collected and passionate in interviews.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#17 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 am

PopetheRevXXVIII wrote:I'm Still bitter about "The Saturn is not our future"
He denied the west many games.

But he seemed like a very nice man. Very collected and passionate in interviews.

That may be true, but he certainty wasn't wrong. None of those games would've sold well. They were niche games on a niche system, and unlike today, the numbers that would've bought them were much, much smaller because the industry was much, much smaller.

Whenever I watch a Sega Lord X video, and he laments when a game didn't get released here for the SEGA CD or 32X or Saturn, or speaks about how popular something might have been in the arcades at the time and a home port would've been great, I think he and others like him forget how much in the small minority they were. I had a Genesis back then, and a SEGA CD, but then jumped to the N64. I wasn't even aware of the Saturn when I was a kid outside of the few game reviews or previews in EGM; it hardly had a retail presence in those later years.

So while it would've been awesome for those more niche games to have made it Stateside, the reality is they never would've sold anywhere near what they would have needed to sell.

Return to “News”