Dreamcast Happy 20th Birthday Thread (North America)

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Happy 20th Birthday Thread (North America)

Post#11 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am

Impulse wrote:
Xiden wrote:I actually own that fuse news tape! I'll have to dig it out of my closet to show you guys. I also own the toys r us dreamcast special magazine.

Nice! Do you remember where you got it? I swear it came packaged with GameShark or it was direct from eb games.

We got it at circuit city. My brother found it, but not sure what section he found it in. Ours was a stand alone video with that typical vhs paper casing.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#12 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Cant believe its been twenty years!

Feeling old, but luckily my Dreamcast will always be there!

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#13 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 pm

happy dreamcast day ya'll :)
now start the room mania 203 24hr twitch streams lol

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm

https://m.twitch.tv/sega

Sega live now with dreamcast

sega dude
undertow

Post#15 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Here is EGM's 27 page look at the Dreamcast from the September 1999 issue. It goes into the launch games, the Dreamcast's hardware, peripherals, and more.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#16 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Wow I feel old (I'm only 32). Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

(I still have that EGM 9/1999 issue on my shelf!)

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#17 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Hello everyone. Long time no see. I hope everyone's day is going well. Happy birthday Dreamcast!

If anyone is interested in buying a t-shirt, etc., of the Sonic illistration, created by zomziekitten , that Impulse had posted, it is available for purchase at the link below. This is a website I have used in the past, & have not encountered any issues with. We not take any of the profit. The entire purchase goes to Redbubble. If anyone has any issues with a purchase, please let me know, or contact Redbubble. If there is an issue with the print, I will discuss with the artist, as they are a good friend of mine.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/dreamca ... rint&asc=u

The artist informed that the image can be saved to your hard drive/desktop and uploaded to your store of choice for a purchase of a poster. If anyone is interested in purchasing a poster directly from the artist, as I will be doing, then please proceed to contact them via PayPal or Venmo.

Paypal: [email protected]
Venmo: sarahmus92

I will revisit this thread at a later time to share my discovery of the Dreamcast.
Awesome to see the Fuse video!
Last edited by Radkin on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:12 pm

My first time seeing the system in person was when I was 15 back in 99 with my father we were in a Sears at our local mall and I saw it running in all it's glory. It was in a slightly different style kiosk than the normal NTSC-U ones but really cool. I remember seeing Craazy Taxi running on it and the cool VMU's.

I also got the September 1999 issue of EGM, known as The Dreamcast Issue, and it really went over the console in fine detail.

After that issue I knew I had too have one. So I got my first job at 16 the following year of 2000 and it became my very first console I bought with my own money. I got 4X4 Evo and Shenmue, and bought an OZ of weed and had a 3 day spree off from work as I was a part time worker. I played Shenmue for 3 whole days straight not coming out of my room except for when nature called, I was hungry or I had to go smoke. I was super immersed into the game and it had my attention like no other game ever before or since. It was that game that showed me that games were no longer a kids toy but an art form equal to literature, theater and movies and music.

After the DC was discontinued, I will admit I sold it off after the games weren't stocked anymore at GameStop. In those times GameStop was the only place for used games, and once they stopped selling them it was impossible to find the games. I also didn't have the internet back then to know you could do all this amazing stuff with the system with no moods at all.

Around 2008 I discovered DCISOZONE and NullDC. I began getting nostalgic all over again for that High School sweetheart, so I started researching all the homebrew things it could do. My mind was utterly blown and I was super depressed I had not known this sooner. All the early years would have been so much more fun with it if I had kept mine and discovered homebrew.

In 2009 I registered to DCISOZONE, and purchased another console and the rest is pretty much history. I discovered this place that same year and been hooked every since. Now I have a modded Dreamcast with a GDEMU and 128gb SD card, a 20% overclock to 240mhz and 2 OC'd VMU's, a PS4 thumbstick mood and I was fortunate enough to get a DreamPi this year as well.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#19 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the Dreamcast: It's (still) thinking!

So with that in mind, I say that the Dreamcast deserves new software for its 20th anniversary one way or another. So in celebration of the 20th anniversary of 9-9-99, I am releasing a special improved ver. of DV Icy to read your Dreamcast VMU icon files! Appropriately enough, it is ver. 0.9 of DV Icy! What could be a better match for today?

So what's new? I'm glad you asked!

Version: 0.9
Compiled: 2019-07-24
Released: 2019-09-09
Changes:
1} Added the "-a" and "--all" arguments to display and print all of a file's available information
2} Refactored the code to separate the functionality for printing the icon's name into its own function instead of being a part of the main function
3} Improved file handling such as when encountering malformed VMU files
4} Improved error handling

The downloads can be found here:
https://www.nz17.com/interactive/dreamc ... converter/

And more can be read here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11842

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#20 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Happy 20th to Dreamcast! Next year, the drinks are on me.

Unfortunately, I don't really have much of a story about when I first got/saw the Dreamcast since I was busy with my N64 and Gamecube back then, but as the years passed the Dreamcast always stood out to me as a console with a very strong legacy and many fans.