Long time DreamCast owner, new dreamcast-talk user

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

PinkFreud
noob

Long time DreamCast owner, new dreamcast-talk user

Post#1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi all!

I'm a long-time DreamCast owner here, having picked mine up not long after the initial NA release in 1999. While my DC remains unmodified, I did pick up the keyboard adapter, mouse, VGA, and LAN module at some point in the distant past, and even booted NetBSD on the console on a few occasions (mostly at local LUG meetings!).

After sitting unused on a shelf for some years (along with a second DC a friend gave us several years back!), I've decided to start tinkering with the DreamCast once again, as well as introducing my 6 yo to the platform (his first game on it was last night, playing Sonic Adventure. As predicted, he loved it!).

My original DC now has a dead CMOS battery, which I'm looking to change out (miraculously, the second unit I have still holds a charge, though I'd imagine it probably doesn't last long once it's unplugged!). I'm also considering a USB or SD mod to protect the discs I have (we're trying to teach the 6- and 3-yos good optical disc etiquette, but it takes time!). I've been falling down a rabbit hole ever since looking at things I could do to modernize this system, eventually landing here.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Long time DreamCast owner, new dreamcast-talk user

Post#3 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Welcome!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#4 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:26 pm

Welcome mate
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

PinkFreud
noob

Post#5 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks, everyone!

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#6 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:08 pm

Love that name 'PinkFreud' - is it a play on 'Pink Floyd' - love that band. Anyway, welcome and we're here to answer any and all questions.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:18 pm

PinkFreud wrote:Hi all!

My original DC now has a dead CMOS battery, which I'm looking to change out (miraculously, the second unit I have still holds a charge, though I'd imagine it probably doesn't last long once it's unplugged!).

I just bought new CMOS rechargable batteries for my Dreamcasts along with the replacement battery holders. You cannot use a standard CR2032 series battery, I got a great deal on Maxell ML2032 rechargeable batteries.

Below is a link for a nice kit for a single Dreamcast I found as an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254509051006
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#8 » Tue May 03, 2022 11:40 am

The best part about new user introductions is that 99% of the time, they're online for all of 2 days and never reappear again
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

EskiM0JOJ0
shadow

Post#9 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:12 am

PinkFreud wrote:I just bought new CMOS rechargable batteries for my Dreamcasts along with the replacement battery holders. You cannot use a standard CR2032 series battery, I got a great deal on Maxell ML2032 rechargeable batteries.

I just added soldered in a vertical battery holder https://console5.com/store/vertical-holder-for-2032-batteries.html.
Currently using a CR2032 standard battery :? My scatterbrain didn't realize it was intended specifically for rechargeable ML2032 batteries. Other than not lasting as long, should be fine, right?