Just added this to my collection... anyone have any idea where it came from??

Post your Dreamcast collections in this section. Wow us with your impressive amount of Sega items ;)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Buddha
noob

Just added this to my collection... anyone have any idea where it came from??

Post#1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Hey y'all! I recently picked this up from a local Goodwill in the Seattle area. I've tried doing some research on it but couldn't find anything about it, or another one like it anywhere online. It is an actual Sega Dreamcast Snowboard. Doesn't appear to be used, and still has the QC sticker on it, along with the original bar code sticker on it. I can only assume that it was some type of promotional snowboard made for a Dreamcast snowboard game. While I'm sure it might be somewhat rare, I'm doubting that it is anything worth an insane amount of money, or even very sought after. Glad to have it in my collection, just wondering if anyone has any information on this little gem. Thanks in advance for any info! :D
dcsb1.jpg

dcsb2.jpg

dcsb3.jpg

dcsb4.jpg

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Just added this to my collection... anyone have any idea where it came from??

Post#2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Very interesting find! There's only one snowboarding game on the Dreamcast, Rippin' Riders, and the boards in the game were made by Salomon; so if they were to make a promotional snowboard for the game, it would have been made by them, not Elan. There was also snowboarding in Xtreme Sports but it's only a small portion of the game and there's no branding at all used on the snowboards. So yeah, I doubt it was a promotional item for a particular game. Plus it would likely have the game's logo on the board if that were the case. In summary, where it came from I have no idea. lol It's a strange promo item to make if your not promoting a snowboarding game. It's possible that someone that was a big Dreamcast fan just had it custom made but that's just a wild guess.

Maybe you should try contacting Elan. They could probably tell you where it came from (assuming it's not custom).
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Buddha
noob

Re: Just added this to my collection... anyone have any idea where it came from??

Post#3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Good idea! Thanks for the info. I’ll update this post with anything I find out on the snowboard.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:35 am

Found out something interesting. The Official Dreamcast Magazine in the UK had a competition where one of the prizes was a snowboard. This doesn't appear to be the one as the picture in the magazine showed a different design and I highly doubt someone imported it from the UK anyway. I wonder if there was a similar competition for the US though?
PSO Characters:

Buddha
noob

Post#5 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm

That seems like a pretty good possibility. I went to the Elan website to try to contact someone, but the only way to contact them is through social media. I’m not a big social media person, so not sure if i’ll Be able to do it that way. Wish they just had an email address I could get

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:20 pm

There's an email form on the page I linked to above.
PSO Characters:

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:36 pm

I wonder, how good quality of a snowboard is it? Even if this doesn't turn out to be a collector's item, decent snowboards aren't cheap.

state_product
shadow

Post#8 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:23 am

this is weird