Witching Hour

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Re: Witching Hour

Post#11 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Looks like good fun. I like the way you used the vmu especially with the compass.

Impulse
Admin

Post#12 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:36 am

retrobunny wrote:
Impulse wrote:Hello, retrobunny, welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your game! I hope you don't mind, I edited your post so that the video appears first because this topic now appears on our news page. Thanks again!

Hi there, no problem and thanks a lot for that. Didn't expect anyone will bother with it so much. Btw. how did i end up in developer group? Usually you need to apply to such groups on forums first =p

The Dreamcast scene really respects it's developers and it's great to see people doing new things in the game creation department. I added you as a developer because you deserve to be in the group 8-) . It also helps people recognize that you are the legit maker of this game/mod :)
-Impulse

Stellaking
lithium

Post#13 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:05 am

Certainly runs at a fair pace doesn't it.
I absolutely love this !

Fantastic.
8-)

kazade
Developer

Post#14 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I've just watched pcwzrd13's video, the game looks awesome I'll try to find some time to burn a copy.

Retrobunny, could you tell us a bit about your programming setup? Do you use a coders cable or BBA or something else? How did you go about debugging the code? Are there any tips for us devs looking to port things to the Dreamcast? :)

Stonerbox
rebel

Post#15 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:12 pm

Damn it. I want to play this but my Dreamcast refuses to recognized the disc. What the hell am I doing wrong here!?

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#16 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:45 pm

My Dreamcast (and others) refuses to boot images under 50mb or so. This image is under 5. Perhaps someone could dummy the iso? That worked with VolgarR which was around 40
Last edited by -drez01- on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrobunny
Developer

Post#17 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:58 pm

@pcwzrd13:
Thanks again for the video!

androiddreamcast wrote:Looks like good fun. I like the way you used the vmu especially with the compass.

Glad that people enjoy the VMU ideas. I didn't want to put it onto Dreamcast without making good use of it. I mean, what's the point if you have a special piece of hardware if you don't use it for something nice.

Impulse wrote:The Dreamcast scene really respects it's developers and it's great to see people doing new things in the game creation department. I added you as a developer because you deserve to be in the group 8-) . It also helps people recognize that you are the legit maker of this game/mod :)

Hah that's good to know. It's great that such places still exist. Thanks then for making me all green =)

kazade wrote:Retrobunny, could you tell us a bit about your programming setup? Do you use a coders cable or BBA or something else? How did you go about debugging the code? Are there any tips for us devs looking to port things to the Dreamcast? :)

So far i don't have a coders cable and wasted a few discs for testing. I'm kinda new to this, lacking deeper knowledge and have a quite small budget. Most of the testing was done inside the nullDC emulator to save discs and time. It's pushed through cygwin involving KallistiOS with SDL which seems ok so far except for a few details. Notepad was mostly being tortured. No real debuggers were involved or harmed. It was only debugged by using gameplay mechanics and trial & error ><
50Hz PAL TVs are an extinct species but you might want to supply them with a medikit. As long as you have creative ideas or a creative workaround the graphics and engine don't matter so much =p

Stonerbox wrote:My Dreamcast (PAL) refused to start the game. I burnt it with ImgBurn. Any ideas?

I have the game on a few CD-R from 2-3 different brandings and they all run flawless on my PAL console. Some were burned with Bootdreams and some with ImgBurn. Maybe you have a faulty one, burned it too fast or maybe it's the problem described by drez01?

-drez01- wrote:My Dreamcast (and others) refuses to boot images under 50mb or so. This image is under 5. Perhaps someone could dummy the iso? That worked with VolgarR which was around 10

Sorry, I didn't come across this info until now. Is there any explanation about this anywhere? Does it affect only CD or SD readers too? I used BootDreams to dummy the image for a 700 MB CD-R but i thought that 771 MB would be silly as a download.

Thanks for all other comments too!

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#18 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:21 pm

It only effects CDs. I believe it is a laser or calibration issue. People complaining about the original VolgarR image is the only info I know of about this problem http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=80
When you compress a dummy image it will be smaller than the original un-dummied file, so there is no difference in download size. I Forgot to say thank you! Great work! I can't wait to play this. It kinda reminds me of Slender Man the game which is a good thing 8-)

retrobunny
Developer

Post#19 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:00 pm

-drez01- wrote:My Dreamcast (and others) refuses to boot images under 50mb or so.
Stonerbox wrote:..my Dreamcast refuses to recognized the disc.

http://m2-soft.de.vu/download.php?fname ... _700MB.rar

I dummied it for a 700 MB disc, tell me if that works for you. I didn't expect it would compress it so small and rather expected about 200 MB which would have been waste of server space/traffic.

Problems with the laser came to mind but wouldn't that mean that you have generally problems to play games? Like you can't play games that use full disc storage of a CD and maybe GD cause it can't access the start or it just doesn't bother to read cause it can't see anything at the first check? If such games work then i still can't make much sense of it ><
Never had Slender Man in mind while making it. Originally it was a concept for Halloween inspired by 80s horror movies like "Friday the 13th", "Evil Dead", "Pumpkinhead" and so on =p

Stonerbox
rebel

Post#20 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 am

retrobunny wrote:
-drez01- wrote:My Dreamcast (and others) refuses to boot images under 50mb or so.
Stonerbox wrote:..my Dreamcast refuses to recognized the disc.

http://m2-soft.de.vu/download.php?fname ... _700MB.rar

I dummied it for a 700 MB disc, tell me if that works for you. I didn't expect it would compress it so small and rather expected about 200 MB which would have been waste of server space/traffic.

Problems with the laser came to mind but wouldn't that mean that you have generally problems to play games? Like you can't play games that use full disc storage of a CD and maybe GD cause it can't access the start or it just doesn't bother to read cause it can't see anything at the first check? If such games work then i still can't make much sense of it ><
Never had Slender Man in mind while making it. Originally it was a concept for Halloween inspired by 80s horror movies like "Friday the 13th", "Evil Dead", "Pumpkinhead" and so on =p

Thank you retrobunny! All my other games runs just fine so the issue is probably the size of the image. However, for some reason the link is dead right now.

Return to “New Games”