Witching Hour

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

retrobunny
Developer

Witching Hour

Post#1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Hello,
I'm new here and some time ago got my first Dreamcast. It's a cool console with its features but could have needed a reset button. I have been a gamer (Amiga, snes, quake 3,...) for a quite longer time of course =)

Anyways, I have been making my own games or trying at least. They are nothing too extraordinary but hey, it's something. One of them i managed to get onto the Dreamcast. I swear i'm not a spam bot, just would like to share my work with you =p

The game itself won't turn the world upside down and it's relatively short. It's a small horror adventure game where your car dies in the middle of a forest and you have to fix it yourself on 0 budget before you are sued by the car insurance. Game needs 2 blocks to save stuff in case and could kill a bit free time.

And here you can get the CDI image.

Have fun and don't get lost in the wrong place !

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Witching Hour

Post#2 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:47 am

Hey first off, welcome to the Forums. Secondly, the lack of a soft reset on the Dreamcast in an unfortunate feature that it should of have in the first place, however holding down all of the action buttons and pressing start makes a quick remedy of this. And lastly this is better than that half-baked unfinished unplayable mess of a game, Unsung.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 am

This looks good indeed, specially for a one woman ( ;) ) project. Framerate seems decent also. Why don't you just tweak it a bit and try to officially through Goat Store
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#4 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:01 am

mazonemayu wrote:This looks good indeed, specially for a one woman ( ;) ) project. Framerate seems decent also. Why don't you just tweak it a bit and try to officially through Goat Store

I agree with mazonemayu, it is a Wolfenstein 3D mod though so I do not think it can be legally sold. But new homebrew is certainly a pleasant surprise. I'll use my last CD-R on this tomorrow

If you consider making another mod with the Dreamcast community in mind, the look of this reminds me of The Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall. I'm not sure of the extent of mod-ability of the W3D engine, but with 700mb of space and some inspiration a real lot can be done with something like that in mind

Thanks for sharing, great work
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Impulse
Admin

Post#5 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 am

Hello, retrobunny, welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your game! I hope you don't mind, I edited your post so that the video appears first because this topic now appears on our news page. Thanks again!
-Impulse

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:56 am

Thanks ! I'll test it.

Newsed for french lovers here : http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.com/2016 ... bunny.html
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 am

Looks promising! Plus, I love when indie games, any game really, use other peripherals outside of the standard controller. The mouse in particular.

retrobunny
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:10 pm

First and foremost thanks for the welcome. Also thanks for the nice comments!

scaryred24 wrote:...holding down all of the action buttons and pressing start makes a quick remedy of this. And lastly this is better than that half-baked unfinished unplayable mess of a game, Unsung.

It's a remedy but it's still not the same as having a reset button. I guess it can also differ from game to game. It was bothersome trying to test own game when having to power on/off the console all time. Especially after reading about fragile lasers and GD-Discs. I had no idea Unsung was unplayable. It looked ok from the distance.

mazonemayu wrote:This looks good indeed, specially for a one woman ( ;) ) project. Framerate seems decent also. Why don't you just tweak it a bit and try to officially through Goat Store

What would be there to tweak in case? The game is not the most well engineered piece of software =p
It's almost a one woman project. Still have a pseudo programmer that sometimes knows what he is doing but programming might be the weakest part. The engine is a turtle with the software rendering so the game tries few things to keep the framerate over 0.

dan1234 wrote:I agree with mazonemayu, it is a Wolfenstein 3D mod though so I do not think it can be legally sold. But new homebrew is certainly a pleasant surprise. I'll use my last CD-R on this tomorrow.

If you consider making another mod with the Dreamcast community in mind, the look of this reminds me of The Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall. I'm not sure of the extent of mod-ability of the W3D engine, but with 700mb of space and some inspiration a real lot can be done with something like that in mind

Quite the sacrifice of a disc =p
Actually the game could be sold legally but i don't wanna rip off people with such small game even that some money wouldn't be bad xd. Can still try that with the next game and more content. It was a good test subject to see how it works with the Dreamcast. Gained some XP to level up.
And nice to hear about the look. Currently i'm just happy that managed to get it working on the Dreamcast at all. More games are planned at least. Some personal project in direction of Elder Scrolls too but things are going really slow. Drawing all graphics by hand takes 3 Dreamcast life-times ><

Impulse wrote:Hello, retrobunny, welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your game! I hope you don't mind, I edited your post so that the video appears first because this topic now appears on our news page. Thanks again!

Hi there, no problem and thanks a lot for that. Didn't expect anyone will bother with it so much. Btw. how did i end up in developer group? Usually you need to apply to such groups on forums first =p

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 pm

This is great! I love the way you fully utilize the VMU which is something you didn't even see that much in most official releases.

I made a video on this:

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Stonerbox
rebel

Post#10 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:54 pm

My Dreamcast (PAL) refused to start the game. I burnt it with ImgBurn. Any ideas?

Return to “New Games”