Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Re: Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast

Post#121 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Incredible. THEY ARE STILL IMPROVING THE DREAMCAST VERSION? Somebody point them to this thread. mr. jones? They just have to consider a physical release. C'mon people, show them that you want it. Where is mazonemayu when you need him? Start something, for heaven's sake!

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#122 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Seeing that they said this:
"This Dreamcast version of Volgarr the Viking is freeware. You can use this software royalty-free for private and commercial purposes.

You can freely distribute copies of this software as long as no charge is raised except a reasonable fee for distribution costs, and as long as this ReadMe file is included with it."

I don't think they will have problems with a possible pressed release, as long as it's almost free (like the Fruty release).

mr. jones
rebel

Post#123 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Hey Omnibot,

Just so you know, they have gotten your email. They're looking at options. ;)

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Post#124 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks, Mr. Jones :D

@Wombat: I love the idea behind Fruit'Y, but Völgarr could be so much more. I'd like to see a awesome release with printed CD instead of a sticker, a nice manual, a jewel case, heck, maybe even a Collector's Edition with some goodies like Wrath of Khan suggested. I'd of course spend far more cash for that.

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#125 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:03 pm

mr. jones wrote:...And this is why I love the folks at Crazy Viking:

Does it have achievements?

It does now!

I uploaded a new version with achievements and a few polish fixes here:

http://www.volgarrtheviking.com/drea...2015-10-13.zip

Of course I can't guarantee I didn't break something in the process, since I don't currently have a working Dreamcast that can play CD-R's to test it with. Anyone want to be a guinea pig for me, and if it works inform whomever it is that runs that site everyone is downloading the ROM from?

So yes, this version is supposed to have achievements on the Dreamcast. Anyone who is hardcore enough to make it past level 2 (that's as far as I can go so far), go ahead and PM me and let me know how it works for you.

Hmm, i did a quick run to clear a first world but i have not seen any notice about achievements.
Do anyone know how it works in PC version?

P.S. pls fix the link, i guess not everyone can find it by themselves.
P.P.S. I paused the game while writing this post and when i am back all sfx is gone except music... i dont remember it happened in previous version

mr. jones
rebel

Post#126 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:18 pm

See if you can reproduce that, VasiliyRS. If that's the case, I'll have to report that back to Replicant.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#127 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm close to two jobs right now - being unemployed makes me crazy and I want to catch up on dc games, there is a few I need to buy- So yes, If they release a limited edition Volgar thus adding value over the free copy then it might sell. The free copy is quite an obstacle to overcome imo.

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Post#128 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Well, I disagree. Every single DC game, which includes the unofficial releases, is "for free" if you do a little bit of research. STURMWIND still sells nevertheless. People are asking NGDEV Team for reprints of their games, nevertheless.
Our scene is just incredibly "loyal". Malicious gossip has it that we buy just everything DC-related :D and because of that, I'm happy everytime an exceptional game, like the titles mentioned in the other thread, emerges. Quality stuff. Völgarr came out of nowhere for me and now in my eyes could be something like a pioneer, be it as an example of a "retrostyle game" on a real retro machine, an example that supporting the Dreamcast does pay off even for professional devs from outside the "retro scene" or as the first important title of a new publisher.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#129 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 pm

Omnibot2000 wrote:Well, I disagree. Every single DC game, which includes the unofficial releases, is "for free" if you do a little bit of research. STURMWIND still sells nevertheless. People are asking NGDEV Team for reprints of their games, nevertheless.
Our scene is just incredibly "loyal". Malicious gossip has it that we buy just everything DC-related :D and because of that, I'm happy everytime an exceptional game, like the titles mentioned in the other thread, emerges. Quality stuff. Völgarr came out of nowhere for me and now in my eyes could be something like a pioneer, be it as an example of a "retrostyle game" on a real retro machine, an example that supporting the Dreamcast does pay off even for professional devs from outside the "retro scene" or as the first important title of a new publisher.

Oh yes, i'm aware that every game is for free, I choose to buy new dc games as the dc is my favourite console system.
But many of the potential customers for volgar have already played it, not including the pirates who will pirate anything regardless. Still as you say the dc scene is very loyal to the dreamcast and rightly so -the dreamcast is the best console ever released and is a true gamers machine. I'm in for a copy if it's released.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#130 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm raising my hand, Crazy Viking Studio!