SLaVE

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: SLaVE

Post#221 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 pm

I don't believe it's a scam at all, and I understand development for games is hell, especially on old platforms.

But lack of communication is the problem. It's incredibly toxic to the scene. These guys messed upon announcing too early and they have admitted that, but you don't go a quarter of the year without keeping your customers updated.

Better late than never is always best.

Elysian Shadows team, what's left of them, needs to take this to heart. They came back after their team tell apart and explained what happened. The said they hired a PR guy to take care of all of that so they wouldn't fall into Oblivion again, then nothing but silence.

I haven't asked for a refund, as I truly believe this game will happen, I wish them the best of luck. But keep in contact with your preorders so others don't think it's just a scam or vaporware.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#222 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:44 am

i really really want intreped izzy to release.

i really really want sLaVe to release.

I really really wanted In The Line of fire to release.

I Hope to space harrier thing releases

I was hopeful for the 3d platformer thing to release.

i really really want elysian shadows to release.

it just seems like people start a thing and then get a bunch of hype and then throw it away.

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#223 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:18 am

mrneo240 wrote:So many new indie dreamcast games seem like vaporware/scams.

Is this another case of that or will this actually release?

The problem is : in retrogaming some projects (ES, Slave, RSG, TGB, Paprium, GCWZero...) kill other big projects on KS (ITLOF, Tanglewood, Xenocider, Escape 2042, Shadow Gangs, LTA...)
Many potential funders no longer believe.
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#224 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:09 pm

dreamcast-news wrote:
mrneo240 wrote:So many new indie dreamcast games seem like vaporware/scams.

Is this another case of that or will this actually release?

The problem is : in retrogaming some projects (ES, Slave, RSG, TGB, Paprium, GCWZero...) kill other big projects on KS (ITLOF, Tanglewood, Xenocider, Escape 2042, Shadow Gangs, LTA...)
Many potential funders no longer believe.

What happened with paprium? Its a megadrive game which was mooted as maybe coming to dreamcasr one day. Thats all I know.

krssn
Metallic

Post#225 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am

Watermelon wrote:
3 september ·

Silence is gold but not always !
We were not very talkative those last months... sorry we were at war !
Struggling and battling with our payment processor, Paypal... as they locked our funds after over 8 years of business ! An independent video game company is apparently not supposed to be that awesome !
Thanks to your trust and love for quality retro games, we received an unprecedented large amount of orders. Paypal decided it was way too suspicious for a Mega Drive / SEGA Genesis game to be that successful. Yes, you heard it right ! We are not drug dealers ! We are all 16-bit addicted, but nothing to cure about it !
Even if they locked our funds, we continued part of the production on our own savings and it greatly affected our schedule and operations... in order to produce the biggest 16-bits games ever produced, we require a lot more than pocket money !
You know now why the order page was unavailable. No stone was left unturned in seeking to remedy the problem and we finally reached the rights people. We should receive our funds in about a month.
Planned on fall 2017, the release date will so be pushed a bit. PAPRIUM will rise from earth early 2018.
For the one that would find the extra wait unacceptable, contact our support for a refund. For the others, a huge thanks, you won't be disappointed !
Q. Is my money lost?
A. No, your money is in Paypal's Bank account at the moment.
Q. Are my orders / preorders cancelled?
A. No, we still have your orders / preorders registered, no worries.
Q. Will I get my games?
A. Yes, of course.
Q. Wait is too long, can I get a refund?
A. Yes, anytime, please contact the support, we will refund and cancel your orders/preorders.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#226 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:50 am

I believe we'll hear from GOAT Store Publishing before Thanksgiving.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#227 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:08 am

Because you know something we don't, or because you're just hopeful?

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#228 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 am

I agree with a few people here about the ks games and how they may seem like a scam. I would love to order slave and plan to do so when it comes out. But for now I have too much money waiting for preordered games to come out. I have yet to receive any of the ones I have backed yet. I believe they will be finished and I will be patient about it. But it does make me leary about funding more games. I hate to say it though.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#229 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:10 am

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:I agree with a few people here about the ks games and how they may seem like a scam. I would love to order slave and plan to do so when it comes out. But for now I have too much money waiting for preordered games to come out. I have yet to receive any of the ones I have backed yet. I believe they will be finished and I will be patient about it. But it does make me leary about funding more games. I hate to say it though.

I agree. We need more stuff to come out or at least the source be released as GPL or something they can stomach.

In the Line of Fire looked great but now the project is dead and the source, assets and pipeline tools are rotting on some harddrive.

Team Senile at least gave us a demo (that also has "mod support")

The space harrier crew released a demo as well.

But damn, slave seems so far away still and nothing tangible has been given out.

Goatdan
shadow

Post#230 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier. Not to make an excuse here, but... In the last few months, just looking business-wise, we...

- Moved all of GOAT Store physically (23,000ish items) to a new location
- Moved the Midwest Gaming Classic event that we also run to a new location

Both of these things have been taking up SO MUCH of our time, it's been tough to send out timely updates. The *good* news, I'm not the one actively developing the game. The *bad* news is that I'm the one doing the majority of communication, so... I suck, sorry. While the other things are obviously important to us, getting this game out is just as important.

Having said that, to answer some questions...

Is it a scam? - If I was going to do a scam, I would sell more than 484 total copies, and I wouldn't be so darn public with things like the Midwest Gaming Classic. No, it's not a scam. To write the same thing I've explained in email before, the game was done and working *emulated* when we announced. The engine did not work on actual hardware. At first, we thought we could fix it easily, and it ended up requiring a full rewrite, and has also had a couple personnel changes.

Why have we been waiting to send out an update? - You'll actually get this in an update I'm writing shortly. We are down to ONE bug on the bug list. We expect once this is done, the game will move into production quickly. A single bug sounds easy, but it's never that easy. I was hoping to have it all cleared up, so the next announcement sent out could say when we expect games to ship. Since I'm going to be sending out something like this (probably later tonight) to everyone, it will have to be the next update hopefully. But we're so close, it's been a tease of debating whether to wait or not to send this out. We thought it would have cleared earlier, but it hasn't...

Whey else have we been waiting to send out updates? - I've explained this in our emails a couple times, but in short, the game has been done for ages, so we're not doing the "interesting" stuff other games like to send out. We're not adding levels, or making new characters, or anything like that. We're rebuilding the engine that makes the game do what it is supposed to do. The new engine is better, but it's not easy to explain or show. There is no huge benefit for us to show gameplay footage that for all purposes will look the same as the other gameplay footage we released when we originally announced this.

Is it hell doing stuff like this? - Sort of. I mean, of the games that we have produced, Jay Townsend's SLaVE will be our sixth. Of those six, three have had major delays. This is our first delay for a programming issue (Inhabitants / Maqiupai were delayed because of production issues brought on by a terrible company we were working with) since the game had pre-orders opened for it. I know that doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but I can assure you, we will do our best to make it not happen again. I cannot pretend to you that I like the delay, or communicating the delay properly (believe it or not, I usually get an email or two back after each that is like, "Why did you send this?"), or anything like that. Having said that, I think what we are doing is still really cool, and I can't wait for it to be done. Mostly because I believe in the game that much. The delay is going to make it so we probably lose money on it's production - shipping in particular has gone up significantly since the majority of orders were placed, and we're not going to change it - and that's okay. It's the risk we took taking it on and announcing it.

Why can't we contact them about this? - You can! At any time! It's my direct email that sends out the JTS updates, I am the one that does our Facebook page, and any support ticket emailed to us is seen by both myself and Gary. Sometimes we take a couple days to reply - I'm SWAMPED with things to do at the moment - but we DO reply. Always. And, although it disappoints me whenever it happens because it means we failed someone, if you want a refund, we're happy to do so at any point in time. If you're willing to stick with us, hopefully very soon you'll find an exciting email.

Unless something magical happens in the next few hours, it probably won't be the next email, but it will be a good one...

Return to “New Games”