Elysian Shadows

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Elysian Shadows

Post#241 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 pm

This reminds me of a post I made in this thread on the first page back in 2012, which Falco registered on the forum to reply to on the second page. What a pathetic loser stealing people's money and stringing them along for more than six years.

dark wrote:
Haven't these guys been "working" on this project for a couple of years? I'm sure they mean well, but they don't come off as a well organized or disciplined development team and I don't really have faith that they would finish the project in the next 12-24 months. That's just me though.

Falco wrote:
Oh right! Because the fact that we've been working on the game for awhile means that we're certainly doomed to fail. It can't possibly mean that we're committed to delivering a quality product or have stuck around for so long because we are committed to releasing our game? You try developing a multiplatform 2D SDK (engine and toolkit) along with a game WHILE getting your computer engineering degree and beginning your career. ;)

And how exactly are you judging our organization?

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#242 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Yeah, I remember reading those posts in the past. Some things never change.

Impulse
Admin

Post#243 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 am

I like to give anyone the benefit of the doubt but damn... I hope something gets released eventually. I think the plan was far too grand if you know what I mean. Should have had a more realistic goal in mind. Something smaller.
-Impulse

Impulse
Admin

Post#244 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 am

ConnorORT wrote:Hi all, I have a message to all who backed Elysian Shadows on Kickstarter. Please read, thanks!

Hey Connor, thanks for posting and giving us that sweet offer. Awesome to hear about your game. I'll be in touch!
-Impulse

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#245 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:01 am

Nz17 wrote:Yeah, I remember reading those posts in the past. Some things never change.

Well, when making a game alone using already existing engines and tools takes years, it's no surprise that someone deciding to make his own engine and tools for a plethora of different platforms, THEN making a game using those tools, doing all this in his free time is gonna take literal decades.

Still, it's Falco's fault not realizing that at the pace he was making progress at, the end was nowhere near, yet still going forward with the Kickstarter. He should have waited until his engine and tools were ready and it was only the game needing word. Or, make the Kickstarter for the engine and toolkit, not for the game.

I remember maybe Connor saying in an interview that "Oh, the tools are ready, now it's just about making the game assets", which was clearly not the case, since Falco is still not done with the engine even years later. Tho perhaps that's Falco's fault for constantly revisiting things, thus nothing ever being called finished.

KGRAMR
undertow

Post#246 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 pm

The wait for the game really feels like an eternity...
Now You're Playing with Power
Do The Math
Genesis Does What Nintendon't

Roel
Developer

Post#247 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:48 am

Tarnish wrote:I remember maybe Connor saying in an interview that "Oh, the tools are ready, now it's just about making the game assets", which was clearly not the case, since Falco is still not done with the engine even years later. Tho perhaps that's Falco's fault for constantly revisiting things, thus nothing ever being called finished.

"Just the game assets". Love it. When making a game like this, if the assets aren't the bulk of the work, you're doing something very wrong.

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#248 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:08 am

ES project starts in 2007, 2008 or 2009.
Projects like ES kill future serious projects : no respect for deadlines, supports, commitments, promises...
(There is ES but we can also talk about Twist-It or TGB and its Caravan mode or others projects).
ES gives some more little informations just to be able to cash money from his shop. Let ES die ... alone ... with our £€$.

Thank you ConnorORT, good luck for the future.
Last edited by dreamcast-news on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#249 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:12 am

Tarnish wrote:It's no surprise that someone deciding to make his own engine and tools for a plethora of different platforms, THEN making a game using those tools, doing all this in his free time is gonna take literal decades.

I'm not saying that all indie devs are the same, but let's compare one indie dev to another, both of which have had 15 years to work on their respective projects.

Brian Provinciano, in 15 years of part-time indie development, has created his game engine by himself, his tools by himself, and almost all of his game's content, all without a Kickstarter project, and commercially deployed that same game across Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Vita, 3DS, Nintendo Switch, Wii, PlayStation 4, OS X, DOS, Linux, PSP, Android, and iOS in a variety of digital and physical formats from floppy diskettes to Blu-ray discs. This game's name is Retro City Rampage. See [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Cit ... evelopment ] for details.

Falco Girgis, in 15 years of part-time indie development, has partially created his game engine, partially created his tools, and developed little to none his game's content - most of what exists of the game's content has been created by hired outside help - all with using up people's money from a Kickstarter project, and he has commercially deployed that same game across no platforms, with the game only seeming to exist on one or two of his personal computers/consoles. This game's name is Elysian Shadows.

I agree that people should be given the benefit of the doubt sometimes, but I think we are well beyond the pale with this project.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#250 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:14 am

dreamcast-news wrote:ES project starts in 2007, 2008 or 2009.
Projects like ES kill future serious projects : no respect for deadlines, supports, commitments, promises...
(There is ES but we can also talk about Twist-It or TGB and its Caravan mode or others projects).
ES gives some more little informations just to be able to cash money from his shop. Let ES die ... alone ... with our £€$.

Thank you ConnorORT, good luck for the future.

At least with 'Twist-It' he never asked and received people's money. With Hucast, I mean, that's a whole other can of worms, but his games still get released in a reasonable amount of time. Even if it's the same game (again, a whole other can of worms).

I'd say let ES die, but the fact that that means I threw away $120 is not something I am okay with.

Return to “New Games”