HALF LIFE CUSTOM GDI[TEST] IMR

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Re: HALF LIFE CUSTOM GDI[TEST] IMR

Post#31 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:18 am

Were they going to release the game without optimizing, or did they simply not have the time?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#32 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:46 am

Well, they originally let Captivation handle the code and everything but the 3D content was handled by Gearbox. They also half way in development dropped a katana SDK build of the game and decided to make a quick port of the Windows version to Windows CE instead. This in turn made them have to scrap the old version and start back over from scratch and loose out on a lot of backtracking. So while they did optimize some stuff, it was Windows CE, known for being a memory hog in games on DC due to overhead having to run the OS first, then game code. Gearbox eventually had to take over the project fully and they just decided to use their updated models on the PC version but did not optimize as well as they could or should. The game runs INFINITELY smoother and stable with the HL PC original assets from 98 modded in. Perhaps we need another version of that ported over?

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#33 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:23 am

Anthony817 wrote:Well, they originally let Captivation handle the code and everything but the 3D content was handled by Gearbox. They also half way in development dropped a katana SDK build of the game and decided to make a quick port of the Windows version to Windows CE instead. This in turn made them have to scrap the old version and start back over from scratch and loose out on a lot of backtracking. So while they did optimize some stuff, it was Windows CE, known for being a memory hog in games on DC due to overhead having to run the OS first, then game code. Gearbox eventually had to take over the project fully and they just decided to use their updated models on the PC version but did not optimize as well as they could or should. The game runs INFINITELY smoother and stable with the HL PC original assets from 98 modded in. Perhaps we need another version of that ported over?

You do know captivation was using dc hardware since set2 and even created the tech demos in an earlier series of it.( all those tech demos you saw in magazines was them). Not to mention these guys made tools for the official sdk, they created ginsu for sega. These were not noobs and werent new to dreamcast.

The whole wince memory thing is a myth, you can strip out components as needed to make a smaller binary. The docs even tell you can reduce to sound, 3d , controller input if you so wish. The same same katana demos youve seen are also running on wince and at the same speed. Unfortunately if you havent noticed wince just didnt get those big games with good developers. Probably the biggest game it had was sega rally 2. Despite all the putdown , i showed a screen shot where they actually added lighting to sega rally 2 compared to the model 3 version.

So you want to downgrade it to the crappy old geaphics instead of optimizing it?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#34 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:35 am

cloofoofoo wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Well, they originally let Captivation handle the code and everything but the 3D content was handled by Gearbox. They also half way in development dropped a katana SDK build of the game and decided to make a quick port of the Windows version to Windows CE instead. This in turn made them have to scrap the old version and start back over from scratch and loose out on a lot of backtracking. So while they did optimize some stuff, it was Windows CE, known for being a memory hog in games on DC due to overhead having to run the OS first, then game code. Gearbox eventually had to take over the project fully and they just decided to use their updated models on the PC version but did not optimize as well as they could or should. The game runs INFINITELY smoother and stable with the HL PC original assets from 98 modded in. Perhaps we need another version of that ported over?

You do know captivation was using dc hardware since set2 and even created the tech demos in an earlier series of it.( all those tech demos you saw in magazines was them). Not to mention these guys made tools for the official sdk, they created ginsu for sega. These were not noobs and werent new to dreamcast.

The whole wince memory thing is a myth, you can strip out components as needed to make a smaller binary. The docs even tell you can reduce to sound, 3d , controller input if you so wish. The same same katana demos youve seen are also running on wince and at the same speed. Unfortunately if you havent noticed wince just didnt get those big games with good developers. Probably the biggest game it had was sega rally 2. Despite all the putdown , i showed a screen shot where they actually added lighting to sega rally 2 compared to the model 3 version.

So you want to downgrade it to the crappy old geaphics instead of optimizing it?

Well said :)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#35 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:33 am

cloofoofoo wrote:So you want to downgrade it to the crappy old geaphics instead of optimizing it?

Want that instead of optimizing? No, I mentioned another mod that somebody already did back in the day over at Assembler games where they actually did the asset swap with only PC content, as a proof of concept and it ran really well due to the lighter models and textures.

The same person who already did that mod, did a version where it swapped to the PS2 assets just dicking around. It actually ran even a bit worse but was cool seeing the PS2 assets on DC. Anyways, those versions unfortunately were lost due to time and nobody backed them up. But just saying that I seen first hand how much faster the game ran with the lower quality PC stuff. I was only stating from my experience playing it.

Obviously further optimizing is the way to go to get the most graphically impressive version we can while maintaining steady frames.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#36 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:42 am

Anthony817 wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:So you want to downgrade it to the crappy old geaphics instead of optimizing it?

Want that instead of optimizing? No, I mentioned another mod that somebody already did back in the day over at Assembler games where they actually did the asset swap with only PC content, as a proof of concept and it ran really well due to the lighter models and textures.

The same person who already did that mod, did a version where it swapped to the PS2 assets just dicking around. It actually even a bit worse but was cool seeing the PS2 assets on DC. Anyways, those versions unfortunately were lost due to time and nobody backed them up. But just saying that I seen first hand how much faster the game ran with the lower quality PC stuff. I was only stating from my experience playing it.

Obviously further optimizing is the way to go to get the most graphically impressive version we can while maintaining steady frames.

And now from ians experience ( video) is running same quality models with optimized textures even faster, even with third person mode on. So whats rhe point on downgrading? Also that so called ps2 model swap, i looked at those models and they definitely werent re rigged versions of the ps2 models. They were touched up standard models. I compared wireframes side by side. Ended up just deleting that mod.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#37 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am

Do know the ps2 version frame rate is all over the place

FPS results:

Dreamcast:

Min: 10.00
Max: 60.00
Average: 37.22
1st Percentile: 11.00
5th Percentile: 16.00

PS2:

Min: 18.00
Max: 60.00
Average: 48.10
1st Percentile: 19.00
5th Percentile: 26.00

Resolutions:

Dreamcast - 640x480
PS2 - 512x448

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#38 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:58 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:And now from ians experience ( video) is running same quality models with optimized textures even faster, even with third person mode on. So whats rhe point on downgrading? Also that so called ps2 model swap, i looked at those models and they definitely werent re rigged versions of the ps2 models. They were touched up standard models. I compared wireframes side by side. Ended up just deleting that mod.

No real reason to do it again unless people want a 60fps version or something. I know some people out there like higher frames above all else but I am more of a graphics whore myself. So I do want it looking and running the best it can but still better optimized like he is doing now.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#39 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:44 pm

I would prefer the 60 FPS with lower quality, but that’s just me and i’m not willing to do the work..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#40 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:26 pm

-drez01- wrote:I would prefer the 60 FPS with lower quality, but that’s just me and i’m not willing to do the work..

60fps all the time dont think is possible on ps2 or dc tbh.. Both never hit that all the time or close to it..

Do both spend a lot time at 60fps yes..

Not sure what pc of the time got 60fps all the time was not a 200mhz one lol or even 500mhz one..