Potential Dreamcast Port: Starsiege: Tribes - Petition for Source Code Release

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Potential Dreamcast Port: Starsiege: Tribes - Petition for Source Code Release

Post#1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:42 pm

No guarantees on this but I'm currently petitioning Hi-Rez Studios to release the source code for the original Tribes game. They released the game as freeware back in 2015 so it's not a huge stretch. I even have the game's lead designer, Scott Youngblood, on board. He actually has the source code but would need permission from the IP holder (Hi-Rez), to release it.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the game, it's an online multiplayer first-person shooter that was released for PC back in 1998. You can see some gameplay in the video below. I'm sure it would be a perfect candidate for a Dreamcast port. Scott is a fan of the Dreamcast as well and agreed it would have been a great platform for it. :)

Just picture this: The source code is released, and the game is ported to Dreamcast and a bunch of other platforms with cross-play between all of them. This could be huge! :D

If you happen to be on Twitter, feel free to retweet this and help get some momentum going. Hopefully Hi-Rez will notice.

https://twitter.com/dclivenet/status/15 ... 5892548610
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Impulse
Admin

Re: Potential Dreamcast Port: Starsiege: Tribes - Petition for Source Code Release

Post#2 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:17 pm

Great idea, hope it happens. I wonder if the game would need altered significantly to properly run on the Dreamcast.
-Impulse

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Potential Dreamcast Port: Starsiege: Tribes - Petition for Source Code Release

Post#3 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:50 pm

Impulse wrote:I wonder if the game would need altered significantly to properly run on the Dreamcast.

I'm sure it'll require some work but I know it'll run. The system requirements are about the same as Unreal Tournament and I don't think Tribes is nearly as visually demanding.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

gamesreup
killer

Post#4 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:03 am

Awesome work my friend. Let's hope we see some movement from them. Great work as always

VKNIGHT20
core

Post#5 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Man that game was a ton of fun. Hopefully if it gets ported it will use the Dreamcast Mouse and Keyboard. Can't imagine playing it with the Dreamcast controller.
John 3:16

gamesreup
killer

Post#6 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:18 am

Lets make this happen! Nice one PCWZRD!