DREAMHEXEN CDDA STEREO BETA 1 Update New port

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: New port of Hexen to dreamcast by my self WIP

Post#11 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Wow! Ian this is awesome! I messed around with Bero's port back in the day, but didn't spend too much time with it. I think I remember it to be lacking some things.

I absolutely LOVED Hexen as a kid. It was actually the first FPS game I ever played on my uncle's PC. I know it's a flawed game in many ways, but it was really ambitious at the time and a lot of fun. I even ended up picking up the N64 version, which had co-op multiplayer which was a blast.

I would love to see more work on this and more features added. I'd definitely sit down and play some Hexen again on my DC. :D

nwsw
shadow

Post#12 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:18 am

Excited to check this out Ian, I know how you feel for sure. I've been doing a daily 15 minute Ba Duan Jin exercise, give it a try and see if it helps!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:25 pm

nwsw wrote:Excited to check this out Ian, I know how you feel for sure. I've been doing a daily 15 minute Ba Duan Jin exercise, give it a try and see if it helps!

Thank you i be back on this next week i had a few other things i had to work on ..

shocked any one cared about hexen at all..

Are other fps like this i can try to port some never on dreamcast but i keep that tight lipped for now.. till this is user-able for a normal user with a controller

fatman01923
noob

Post#14 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Hey it's walm-pso if you remember me on the discord. Just wanna say I hope things continue to improve for you. Also thanks and great job with this port so far! I have to grab a keyboard and mouse for my dreamcast ASAP!

willis
letterbomb

Post#15 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:29 am

Ian Micheal wrote:shocked any one cared about hexen at all..

Are other fps like this i can try to port some never on dreamcast but i keep that tight lipped for now.. till this is user-able for a normal user with a controller

I say with an excited YES to all projects you decide to port! I really look forward to checking the forums on a daily basis for anything new coming from Mr. Ian Micheal.

Would be nice to have a compilation of all Hexen games -> Hexen 1, 2, Heretic, etc......

Now I'm going to start looking to see what other fps's you could be referring to haha!

(fingers crossed Marathon Trilogy is still on the table of possibilities :P)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:41 am

Marathon Trilogy is one you know I have wanted for ever now hehe! Keeping my fingers crossed! But Hexen 2 for sure!

Some that would be GREAT to have also are 6DOF shooters like the Descent Trilogy, those are great! But my favorite one that source code was released for would be Forsaken, damn such a bad ass game that would be perfect for the DC.

willis
letterbomb

Post#17 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:31 am

Yes Anthony! I had almost forgotten about the Decent games and Forsaken, but those would be amazing to have on the Dreamcast. Good call

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#18 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:45 pm

There is a lot of good ones there.. been working on hexen today about 5 hours.. main thing i want to get is cdda music i have a hacked version working with it but dont want do it they way i have it lol.. controls are proving to be be a pain to work out but i get there.. This feels like radquake in 2002 all over again lol

I need a beta tester with mouse and keyboard please let me know as i dont have ether any more and have to use demul to do testing now.. Not always the best idea till i get functional dc controls with the controller

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Ah damn, I would volunteer but my keyboard is toast. Only got the mouse. For sure you will find somebody willing to test this for you.

Was it the issue of figuring out the proper coding for them or the layout?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:19 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Ah damn, I would volunteer but my keyboard is toast. Only got the mouse. For sure you will find somebody willing to test this for you.

Was it the issue of figuring out the proper coding for them or the layout?

Right now it's some old joytstick SDL commands i dont like at all they never worked correct looking into like i did with radquake converted it all to kos direct commands it will take some time to get more use to this engines code base..

Never played it much if at all finding it's a very cool game ...

matter of time I'm using kos1.3 because it's what i know i up ported it to kos2.0 same code and the sound crashes have no idea why thats the case so this very early stages coming to grips with another fps engine .. it's not like doom not like quake feels like between them in coding style and such pretty interesting..

Speed does not seem to be a problem at all right now.. Fixed the crash when demo's load which was a big problem the last 2 days..