The Textorcist: Story of Ray Bibbia

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

lozz
core

Re: The Textorcist: Story of Ray Bibbia

Post#182 » Fri May 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Just played nearly two hours on the replacement disk. It ran relatively well, but I couldn't figure out how to save progress. The manual gives no guidance, and it doesn't say how many blocks a save will take up either. I couldn't leave my DC running overnight, so I quit in the hope it autosaves. Looked on my VMU and there is nothing there. The idea of replaying those first four levels, with those loading screen again, is a no go. I must say on the whole I'm totally unsatisfied with this release - there are so many signs that it has been a rush job with little quality control. My advice: do not buy.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#183 » Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 am

My replacement copy arrived yesterday so exactly two weeks after getting the email informing me it had shipped (Germany to UK)

Not had chance to play it yet as I am quite busy

Danny Boy
shadow

Post#184 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:50 am

lozz wrote:Just played nearly two hours on the replacement disk. It ran relatively well, but I couldn't figure out how to save progress. The manual gives no guidance, and it doesn't say how many blocks a save will take up either. I couldn't leave my DC running overnight, so I quit in the hope it autosaves. Looked on my VMU and there is nothing there. The idea of replaying those first four levels, with those loading screen again, is a no go. I must say on the whole I'm totally unsatisfied with this release - there are so many signs that it has been a rush job with little quality control. My advice: do not buy.

It’s a real shame as the game itself is very good. The packaging too is excellent will a lot of effort gone into the box and full colour manual. They obviously thought that converting the game to the Dreamcast was easier than it was. The load times though… is this a Dreamcast or NeoGeo CD?

The game doesn’t state when it saves but does automatically after each big set piece. I think it takes two blocks up on my VMU.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#185 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:25 am

When they did testing they did not test on slow mil cd or cdr it's very slow compared to nulldc or dc emulators that become plain loading is instant on demul or nulldc .. You always have to allow for how slor a cdr is mil cd it only has on benchmark max 409/kb/sec max data speed reading data and only 8 file read a head with PIO CPU reads in other words very slow..

galaxygod
core

Post#186 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:41 pm

i got my replacement disc today and i gotta say they really did a good job fixing everything besides the load times still being frustrating. but i just played all the way through the stage that softlocked on the last version and i didnt have a single text crash or soft lock or anything through the whole game so far with only 3 levels left to go. all in all im really happy to finally be able to enjoy this game because the game play and the music really are great here.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#187 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:54 pm

it locked for me so no idea why it would not.. for you got the same build as on the new disk

galaxygod
core

Post#188 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:06 am

Ian Micheal wrote:it locked for me so no idea why it would not.. for you got the same build as on the new disk

no clue but i made sure to go through all the diologue to make sure it all worked and i got to the final boss last night without issue. i wonder if its because you have a rom instead of the disc. when i ripped the first version for gdemu it softlocked way earlier than the disc version

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#189 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:31 am

My replacement was supposed to be here Saturday. It didn't arrive and the tracking reverted to not being available. It showed up yesterday, in a USPS baggie, because it was so wet that the disc sleeve was still moist and there was condensation on the disc. The shipping box was so limp it matched my (now) enthusiasm for this game.

Anyway, I dried it off, and the disc looked fine. I played a little of it last night. But I'm still kind of disappointed. For all the talk about the writing, it is godawful. Like, whoa. It's bad. And are the random "1" and "2" supposed to be in the mix with the exclamation points? Is this an internet joke I don't find funny? The loading is horrible. I think we finally have a game that beats "Soldier of Fortune" for worst loading on the system. Gameplay is kind of awkward, but I'm not sure how else it would control. Maybe auto movement during battles based on how accurate you are. Switching between the arrows and typing is cumbersome. I did notice that if you type too fast the game can't keep up and it skips letters. Finally, in a typing game, why of all places can you not type in your initials for a high score. You have to use the arrows to cycle through the alphabet. I mean...what?

*sigh* I'm going to keep my original copy sealed, just in case I ever decide to get rid of it. I'm bummed.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#190 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 am

galaxygod wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:it locked for me so no idea why it would not.. for you got the same build as on the new disk

no clue but i made sure to go through all the diologue to make sure it all worked and i got to the final boss last night without issue. i wonder if its because you have a rom instead of the disc. when i ripped the first version for gdemu it softlocked way earlier than the disc version

Interesting. I wonder if this game would require the read_limit parameter set to "1250" inside GDEMU.INI in order to more closely mimic the read speeds of an original GD-ROM drive.

For the curious, note that this feature is only available in GDEMU firmware v5.20.3 and will have no affect if added to the config file on a pre-v5.20 clone.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam