Homebrew Spotlight Port of VVVVVV to DREAMCAST by GUSARBA With video and download NEW VERSION

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Homebrew Spotlight Port of VVVVVV to DREAMCAST by GUSARBA With video and download NEW VERSION

Post#1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:19 am

set youtube to 720p60fps for real speed No 30fps videos of gameplay
https://github.com/gusarba/VVVVVVDC/releases
https://github.com/gusarba/VVVVVVDC/blo ... LICENSE.md
copyright of Terry Cavanagh and is based on the VVVVVV source code.

I do a dev homebrew spot light on the game and a short playthru great port thanks GUSARBA :)

https://github.com/gusarba/VVVVVVDC/releases
Download MDF https://github.com/gusarba/VVVVVVDC/rel ... c_v0.2.zip

https://mega.nz/file/ncxmhIiR#rF9tYdR0c ... Bd6Tb5rZSg
CDI SB

If you need me to make a cdi of it i can..

Code: Select all

Quick port of Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV to the Sega Dreamcast game console. This repository is a fork of the official one, which was uploaded to celebrate the game's 10th anniversary and contains the source code for the computer and mobile phone versions of the game. The fork was created on April 6th 2020, so newer additions and improvements to the original source are still not reflected here.

The port is far from perfect and there are still a lot of bugs and room for improvement, but it is very playable. To develop it, some fundamental changes needed to be made to the original source files. The original structure and code path has been preserved wherever possible, opting to create Dreamcast-specific source files (e.g: main_dreamcast.cpp) where it made more sense, while in other cases opting for a simple #ifdef/#endif code block. Some characteristics of the port:

Backported all the SDL calls from the 2.0 API to the old 1.2 API. It includes a simple "SDL2_stub.h" header file with some glue code.
Instead of alpha-blending the SDL surfaces, color keying is used, which had a dramatic impact on performance, since all the blitting is done in software by the Dreamcast's SH4 processor.
The game runs at around 30/40 FPS most of the time.
Saving and loading to the VMU is implemented, as well as a new small menu screen when booting the game to select which VMU to use (or to not save at all).
All the music system has been changed to use CDDA audio tracks instead of a binary blob file (which cointains Ogg/Vorbis files). Numerous tests were performed streaming and decoding music from the blob, but it was too slow and choppy.
The code also includes a quick port to the Dreamcast of the PhysicsFS library which the games uses as its file system abstraction.
Newer versions of the port make use of a 'lost' SDL-1.2.13 version made by Chui and recovered by Ian Micheal to improve performance.
Also to improve performance, the memcpy routines of moopthehedgehog's DreamHAL library are also used. Big thanks to Ian for suggesting these improvements!

Glad some things i said helped on the port :) Nice to see a game thats on many systems come to dreamcast in such a good state :)
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: Homebrew Spotlight Port of VVVVVV to DREAMCAST by GUSARBA With video and download NEW VERSION

Post#2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:39 am

This port looks great! I remember this game fondly, retro style indie throwbacks might be really lame nowadays but in the early 2010s the concept was a lot more fresh.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Homebrew Spotlight Port of VVVVVV to DREAMCAST by GUSARBA With video and download NEW VERSION

Post#3 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:41 am

Ragfish wrote:This port looks great! I remember this game fondly, retro style indie throwbacks might be really lame nowadays but in the early 2010s the concept was a lot more fresh.

Yes and now we can play a proper port play-able at proper speed on dreamcast it's 10 years since it was released so it's nice to have a proper dreamcast version with CDDA music and full saving :) I had fun playing it thought people need to know this update is like 1 day old..

I had little involvement in this other then advice i thought people should know the work he did to get this running and for our dreamcast

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#5 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm

looks pretty cool thanks Ian

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Own this game on steam! Tough as nails! Awesome to see it on the DC!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:35 pm

It plays very well on dreamcast now it is tough but not 1 hit you die thing and back at the start kind of thing .. course can save with the vmu makes it a lot better now..

Can get thru it if you try nice story music :) Prolly the first ever SDL2 game ported back to SDL1.2.13 proving with time and effort there's nothing wrong with the sdl on dreamcast as long as you use chui SDL1.2.13 which works on new kos gives you SDL DMA video and direct sound

marcosmoutta
lithium

Post#8 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Dude yes, I need a CDI, I have the serial sd card
Also this is ABSOLUTELY BONKERS, INSANE, FANTASTIC!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Yeah, hopefully this means more updated games can be backported with this SDL. I want to see if there are any good Castlevania clones we could get ported over.

I seen there were actually a fair bit of fan games for it but not all can run under the DC but I seen a few that should.

https://castlevaniafan.fandom.com/wiki/Fan_Games

willis
letterbomb

Post#10 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 pm

I would also go for the cdi if possible.

However I don't mind converting it myself, what's the best method for mdf to cdi?