Xeno Crisis Easter Egg?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Xeno Crisis Easter Egg?

Post#1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:02 am

My copy of Xeno Crisis arrived today and when I checked to see if it made a save file I noticed that the date was odd. The creation date was 08/11/1973 18:32. My date and time are set correct. Could this be an Easter egg and possibly the date of birth of one of the creators?

Can someone else check to see if they have the same issue.

E1AC1A76-2EA3-412F-A4B4-145C1DB40DB4.jpeg
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

runkthepunk
Doom

Re: Xeno Crisis Easter Egg?

Post#2 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am

Good Find!

I just checked mine and weirdly the date is different 06/05/2001

I know that's not the date on my machine as I turn it off at the mains so always get the default date unless I change it.

Maybe a weird bug but could also be a reason for it?

Give the guys at Bitmap Bureau a shout I'm sure they'd reply :D

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#3 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:11 am

I did some more digging around and inserted a fresh empty VMU and it's great!

a larger file downloads to the VMU and must include a menu background image:

ImageScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 15.59.36

The VMU automatically gets the Xeno Crisis X as the screen saver
ImageScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 15.59.50

The Save file is small but the other file is quite large:

ImageScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 16.00.06

Finally the small save file has a different date again so it might be a weird randomly generated thing. 18/04/1982 in this case)

ImageScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 16.00.18

Fantastic Stuff!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Amazing screenshots! What are you using to capture?

The date issue is a little strange! That background looks awesome. I wish the VMUs would hold more data!
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#5 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Anonymouse wrote:Amazing screenshots! What are you using to capture?

The date issue is a little strange! That background looks awesome. I wish the VMUs would hold more data!

Thanks man, my Dreamcast has the DCHDMI board and I have an Elgato HD60 which I use to record the footage. I then just do screen grabs on my computer.

Yeah the date thing is weird not sure what that's about really :?

colgate
Doom

Post#6 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Edit: nevermind I think my memory is not the same lol

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 am

now would this not be great if it had online play i wonder when the first proper homebrew with online play will appear? this very cool lets hope more of this standard gets out..

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#8 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:16 am

Ian Micheal wrote:now would this not be great if it had online play i wonder when the first proper homebrew with online play will appear? this very cool lets hope more of this standard gets out..

I think that would be a massive turning point having online homebrew. I'd kill for an online WW2 shooter on DC lol

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Why do they take your VMU icon hostage er really forcing a background without ask o.0

I know this as Super Magnetic Neo fucking too does this every. time I think Shadow Man is guilty of this too that I want those precious two-four blocks of VMU space and would have to frequent Dream Explorer/VMU Tool disc

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#10 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:46 am

Ian Micheal wrote:now would this not be great if it had online play i wonder when the first proper homebrew with online play will appear? this very cool lets hope more of this standard gets out..

It would also have been nice if they could have made use of the SD card adapter like Sturmwind - features like saving/loading replays to SD card.