New Josh Prod Racer July 2020 Release

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: New Josh Prod Racer July 2020 Release

Post#21 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:18 pm

This game does some sort of streaming and changing of file systems might not work on dreamshell .. might be wrong but looking at it run with console debug on it seems the case..

Greg2600
dark night

Post#22 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Woodneeded wrote:I agree with you Ian TD LM looks fantastic on the console. However, I guess what I am trying to say is how much do the graphics matter. Two of my favorite racers on the console are Test Drive 6 and Demolition Racer despite their PS1 graphics and horribly unstable framerates. If this game can deliver quality game play I think that is most important.

It's an arcade racer so I wasn't expecting MSR or Tokyo Extreme level graphics. However, Daytona USA or Crazy Taxi at least. Those have shadows, lighting effects, high resolution textures on the cars and buildings. Why is there an retaining wall with ugly, out of place billboards on every track? The movement of the cars look like it's from a drifting game, but there's no tire smoke? Hit something and there's no visual effect of that? Test Drive 6, again, at least had shadows and lighting effects plus higher resolution textures. I suppose I'm mainly grumpy as I've heard all these great things about JoshProd and how professional his homebrew games have been, and this is not living up to those expectations.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#23 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:54 pm

Sorry, this is in all reality a low budget homebrew game that most likely will break even. You need to remember, there is no real budget for these games the Dreamcast gets, which is mostly scrolling shooters, puzzle or BOR games in the last 10 years or so. I can't complain about any games the Dreamcast gets at this point, I am happy someone wants to support the DC fans which is about .005 of the gaming market by now... just guessing being I never seen any Dreamcast game hit the top 100 charts in over 15 years. Very very tiny market for our beloved DC console.

Now I am sad just thinking about it (cue Dobbs: reaching for a box of tissues). I miss y2k (year 2000).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#24 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
Woodneeded wrote:I agree with you Ian TD LM looks fantastic on the console. However, I guess what I am trying to say is how much do the graphics matter. Two of my favorite racers on the console are Test Drive 6 and Demolition Racer despite their PS1 graphics and horribly unstable framerates. If this game can deliver quality game play I think that is most important.

It's an arcade racer so I wasn't expecting MSR or Tokyo Extreme level graphics. However, Daytona USA or Crazy Taxi at least. Those have shadows, lighting effects, high resolution textures on the cars and buildings. Why is there an retaining wall with ugly, out of place billboards on every track? The movement of the cars look like it's from a drifting game, but there's no tire smoke? Hit something and there's no visual effect of that? Test Drive 6, again, at least had shadows and lighting effects plus higher resolution textures. I suppose I'm mainly grumpy as I've heard all these great things about JoshProd and how professional his homebrew games have been, and this is not living up to those expectations.

Your compare games made with the sega dev kit by pros and a team of pro coders to homebrew small team maybe 2 coder..

Apples and oranges

Not going to get lighting effects thats software and still have a good framerate.. you need to use the asm pipline simulator in katana real dev kit to get no cache hits misses ..

This how it looks and runs will be is a bench mark for years to come for homebrew on dreamcast

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:22 pm

I've pre-ordered this game on disc, but have just invested in a GDEmu. I know having a CDI of the game available so soon would dent sales, which wouldn't be fair to JoshProd, but I do wonder if there's a way to sort of verify your purchase to also be able to get a CDI image for preservation sake.