JoshProd 2018 Games

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Roareye
Rank 9

JoshProd 2018 Games

Post#1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Dreamcast publisher JoshProd has released a teaser trailer for this years coming releases, including a new 3D racing title (following the release of 4x4 Jam in 2017).

For those not aware, JoshProd is not a usual indie game producer, choosing instead to licence existing game titles for porting to the Dreamcast. 4x4 Jam is an interesting example of this, as it began life as a PSP Mini (downloadable) release that they licensed and ported (not emulated) for the Dreamcast. The same is also true of the recent legitimate port of Flashback.

Titles haven't yet been named (If you recognise any titles then post the titles here), nor consoles of release (JoshProd releases on consoles outside of the Dreamcast), but the promise of a possible new 3D Dreamcast title is tantalising.

Link is below, what are your thoughts? Excited for these new titles?

http://www.seganerds.com/2018/01/11/jos ... -for-2018/

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: JoshProd 2018 Games

Post#2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 am

well, the article is a bit of a scam imo, how many of those 15 games were actually new games?
I said it before: I'll support almost any new indie game, but ports...the DC is really becoming the waste zone for rehashed old shit...and everybody opens their wallet...again...I can understand rereleases of sold out indie titles, but ports...seriously?
that being said I also think Josh Prod produces professional stuff, that looks awesome, unlike some indie developers
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 am

mazonemayu wrote:well, the article is a bit of a scam imo, how many of those 15 games were actually new games?
I said it before: I'll support almost any new indie game, but ports...the DC is really becoming the waste zone for rehashed old shit...and everybody opens their wallet...again...I can understand rereleases of sold out indie titles, but ports...seriously?
that being said I also think Josh Prod produces professional stuff, that looks awesome, unlike some indie developers

As long as porting existing (old) games is faster, requires less work and is less of a risk than making new games, I'm afraid that will always be the case.

At least that Okinawa Rush game is still pretty recent so it's not just a port of a game that you had 20+ years to play already.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#4 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am

ok, but imo ports should cost half the price of a regular game, since (as you said), it is faster, doesn't take so much work & there's no creativity involved.

Imagine if they start porting MAME games to the DC, and have us paying 30 or 40 per game...

I don't have anything against Josh Prod, quite the contrary, I find it awesome that the DC (and other scenes) finally have a producer that is reliable, delivers in time, makes quality products, etc...I'm saying he shouldn't just release anything that's brought to him, as we'll end up with a ton of shovelware again, then again I totally understand him from a financial pov
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:43 am

I applaud both of your posts above, mazonemayu. Excellent arguments.

I'd add that in many ways the DC and the Switch are a lot alike right now. Both are getting mostly ports at a higher price. I think Nintendo diehards are just happy to get something worthwhile to play so early in a Nintendo system's life.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#6 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I think everyone has good point and I agree that he does have good quality stuff. I feel newer ports would be nice. I really enjoy 4x4jam and play it often!

I think it is really nice how he has approval from developers to produce these games too! I feel this could lead to bigger better games as his productions shouldn't impact any modern game sales.

There are a few mobile games I would like to see ported. I think some of the rpg games could be done without losing much if anything.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#7 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm kinda hoping that the ports push the indie scene to compete a little harder in terms of developing a 3D title or an online title. I know proposals have gone up for both of these, but little progress has been shown. Because many indie titles cost the price of a new DC game, it's hard to justify on 2D puzzlers, whereas some new action/rpg titles or 3D titles would make the justification easier. I guess that's personal preference but still.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#8 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:25 pm

See I disagree. I don't want to see 15-20 year old games and mobile ports, because those can be had on devices and platforms like GOG for a few bucks max. It doesn't help DC development if that's what's coming to the system. It looks like and is a cash grab. Then less hardcore DC consumers will jump ship and the good DC devs out there are the ones that will ultimately lose out.

IF mobile ports and old games come to the DC, then they do need to add something. 'Flashback' did that, even though those changes are coming to the other current platforms, but there has to be a real reason to justify the price JoshProd and couple other DC publishers are asking.