Revolt Mod - In progress

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

RetroFox
undertow

Revolt Mod - In progress

Post#1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi there!
Yes I have figured that I can mod this game but im stuck with one thing that may be simple to some (I hope!)
This is a CDDA game and Im having zero luck recompiling it into a selfbooting disc... or into any working disc (not even utopia) so im unable to test my progress.

I have some big plans for this so any help would be fantastic! (Possibly an inclusive selfboot kit with one press?)
Last edited by RetroFox on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Revolt Mod - Help needed.

Post#2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:20 am

Wow would love to see mods on this game!

Did you try this?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/img4dc/

RetroFox
undertow

Post#3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 pm

I ended up getting help through the Echelon method... but failed.
Then I used the hacked Bin and IP from the process in bootdreams and it worked!
Only problem doing it this was is the first track for the menu's doesn't play but level music does.

Now the next hurdle is getting the PVR textures in the correct format, Whatever version of PVR Im using is not working and the photoshop plugin is too old for my system.
Im going to install Photoshop 7 on a virtual machine so I can process textures from there.

Heres two progress pictures.
First picture (with car model pink and see through) is what my first PVR conversion attempt looked like.
Second one is a new map & car model using random textures from the DC version as placeholders.
all models are loaded perfectly.

Edit: A note... I can also do the same thing with GTA2 but Im restricted to using the original textures only because they are packed in some strange file I will never understand (Strangely standard texture packs remain on disc but not used).
Id be willing to do this mod if some one is willing to program missions! I have a large map working... I may upload a proof of concept for this once I have time.

LAST EDIT:
Found all the official Sega PVR tools so I will give them a shot tomorrow.
Attachments
Revoltprogress.jpg
revoltmod2.png

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Holy shit! Mario cart themed mods!? How awesome is that!?

Also, yeah I heard about the DC version of GTA 2 supporting PC mods as well. I think it would be great to start exploring exactly how modable it is. I know somebody made a 3D perspective mod where they mixed it with Duke Dukem. Man, I could see a camera perspective change mod and 3D car model replacements for the game. I think it could be possible to make GTA feel a little more like a proper 3rd person 3D carjacking game.

http://www.moddb.com/games/duke-theft-auto

Edit: looks like it is EDuke32 engine nevermind lol.

Also, porting GTA 1 to DC might actually be possible too right? At least the assets. The PSX version running on Bleem beta works really well, but obviously saves and FMV's are screwed up.

I think we might be onto something here. :mrgreen:

RetroFox
undertow

Post#5 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Might have been posts from me a few years back you read?

Importing PC maps scripts ect ect.. all working. The only things I cant edit are the textures that im sure are stored in a random file called "Bulk.DSG" and there is one for each map. So trying to port GTA1 and London just ended with jumbled textures =(

I do have a couple of new maps that use the standard textures (nice and big!) With a team effort they could be populated with missions and items ect using the GTA2 PC tools. =)

Im done with re-volt for the night but I did locate pretty much every single texture in the game so I can do almost s full conversion =D I will then release a couple mods followed by fully detailed instructions to do it your self =)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Might been you? I think it was a German fellow speaking about it a few years ago wanting to do some mods but I can't remember for sure? You go by any other names on other forums?

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:43 am

This looks interesting. I am intrigued as to how hard this would be to do? I will definitely be checking it out once he releases the files and instructions. :)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:41 am

Another mod I have thought about for years now was if there was some way to make the cars from Vigilante 8 from PSX work on Vigilante 8 2nd Offense on Dreamcast. The original games levels are already included in the DC port, but not the vehicles. I have often wondered if it was possible to somehow port the cars from the PSX disc. Obviously might have to do some coding but if the files are similar format who knows?

Guess the PVR texture issue might show up with them too. With Half-Life DC mods textures have to be converted from PC mods to DC format to optimize them better as well.

RetroFox
undertow

Post#9 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Just a quick progress update.
Textures now show, Just a few tweaks will remove the weird red tone over it.
Once Iv done that I will see what PVR format the tracks use.
Attachments
revoltmod3.jpg

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Amazing progress! This mod is going to be epic!