Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

paddyboy
undertow

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#41 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:08 pm

I don't see any reference to ( info and relative path for the filelist ) when i right click,however if i go down the tree further till i see the red iso icon,i can then make a sort file,i did this but then backed up the tree to session 2,right click and i do see (extract from to) when i do this,i get a new window with a start address of 45000,there is a check in Length (lba) and at the bottom,there are 3 options i can check,it's already highlighted on RAWDATA (can be used on all cds) and a button to START EXTRACTION

if you mean SECTOR VIEW then if i choose this,i do see the hex sheet and on the right side at the top,it displays

SEGA SEGAKATANA
SEGA ENTERPRISES
F121 GDROM1/1
JUE 2799A10
MK-51012 V1.010
1ST_READ.BIN
SEGA ENTERPRISES
METROPOLIS STREE
T RACER

i am sure if i can get this part right,the rest of the instructions seem simple enough for me to follow,i am just not used to using isobuster or making sort files,thank you kindly for all your help btw and surprised you know all this and not even at a pc !
Last edited by paddyboy on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#42 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Yea... I've been getting too familiar with isobuster and all the Dreamcast stuff lately. Got the process to go from a gdi to clean and wellmade CDI cemented in my head, and mostly automated. Plus lots of knowledge how all of it works together so you can burn a disc and have it boot in a Dreamcast. END RAMBLING.

That's the right menu but what you're saying doesn't sound correct. The start LBA should be 11700, what is the exact filename of the cdi you have mounted?

So on that menu the start LBA will come up correctly, the type should be userdata or 2048 or something like that, definitely NOT raw, and sectors/blocks should be 16. (I think disc juggler uses blocks and it's confusing me)

When you hit start extraction you should get a file that is 32kB

paddyboy
undertow

Post#43 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Yea... I've been getting too familiar with isobuster and all the Dreamcast stuff lately. Got the process to go from a gdi to clean and wellmade CDI cemented in my head, and mostly automated. Plus lots of knowledge how all of it works together so you can burn a disc and have it boot in a Dreamcast. END RAMBLING.

That's the right menu but what you're saying doesn't sound correct. The start LBA should be 11700, what is the exact filename of the cdi you have mounted?

So on that menu the start LBA will come up correctly, the type should be userdata or 2048 or something like that, definitely NOT raw, and sectors/blocks should be 16. (I think disc juggler uses blocks and it's confusing me)

When you hit start extraction you should get a file that is 32kB

IM USING THIS ISO
MSR(FULL)_U1_HACK_BY_YZB

im downloading this - (USA - NTSC - Filename.....: E-MSRUSA.001) just now and will try with this one.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#44 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Ok so that definitely changes things and you might need to snag a couple other tools BUT DONT FEAR. I also might need about 2 hours unless I can really remember the commands you need..

So... Umm start by downloading family guys selfboot pack 1.4 (we need some tools from it but we will do our own commands)

When you have that extract it somewhere. And copy the game files to the data folder and oh man it's going to get tricky. Ok start there for now. Also go back to isobuster and do the thing with extracting. Start LBA 45000, size 16 sectors/blocks, and userdata/2048

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#45 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 pm

paddyboy wrote:im downloading this - (USA - NTSC - Filename.....: E-MSRUSA.001) just now and will try with this one.

Yea I would do that, pm if you need a working link for it.

paddyboy
undertow

Post#46 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Using the new echelon iso ,i also got the 1.4 tool pack just in case

i choose session 2/then right click on track 02 and choose (extract from to)
i get a new window with the start address lba 11700 and there are 3 options
user data 2048bytes ......
user data but filter
raw data

i am guessing it's the first one / user data

at this point,you describe how i should be looking for an identify of the ipbin with ketana or echelon or something,i don't see anything,i then choose extract and it starts extracting to an iso and i end up with a file called -- disc segment.iso however,near the end of this extraction i get 2 errors where it tells me sectors could not be read,if i choose to ignore these errors and keep the file,i end up with an iso of near the same size as the original cdi

this also happen on the other version of msr,both cdi's work in emulators

If however,i mount and then open with isobuster,and then i go down to the red iso icon in session 2
and then choose (list tree info -lba full path-),i can then make a file list for sorting
and then i can also right click on the red iso icon and choose the option at the top of the menu to
extract msrusa_ech

if i do this,i end up with an extracted iso with many files inclusding the audio folder that i want to replace files with my own modded music files.

i don't know if this way will work as you were describing a different way to get the sort (filelist) and ip.bin and data

EDIT

ok,i compiled following the original instructions,i get it to boot and play the intro and when i press start it crashes to a black screen,nulldc spews out lots of text in a loop ! lol

now i think it's at least building properly but alas,there must be something wrong elsewhere with the audio i am modding into it or something esle :(
Last edited by paddyboy on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#47 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Always do everything with the image mounted, don't try to open the image itself.

The first part about extracting with start LBA you are correct!
Right click on session 2 and then extract.
First option user data 2048, start LBA 11700, but change the size to 16. It will be segment.iso just rename to up.bin.

Should see something like you posted earlier
"
SEGA SEGAKATANA
SEGA ENTERPRISES
F121 GDROM1/1
JUE 2799A10
MK-51012 V1.010
1ST_READ.BIN"

The data I would copy in explorer, I had an issue when I extracted from isobuster. You are so close!

paddyboy
undertow

Post#48 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Always do everything with the image mounted, don't try to open the image itself.

The first part about extracting with start LBA you are correct!
Right click on session 2 and then extract.
First option user data 2048, start LBA 11700, but change the size to 16. It will be segment.iso just rename to up.bin.

Should see something like you posted earlier
"
SEGA SEGAKATANA
SEGA ENTERPRISES
F121 GDROM1/1
JUE 2799A10
MK-51012 V1.010
1ST_READ.BIN"

The data I would copy in explorer, I had an issue when I extracted from isobuster. You are so close!

EDIT

ok,i compiled following the original instructions,i get it to boot and play the intro and when i press start it crashes to a black screen,nulldc spews out lots of text in a loop ! lol

now i think it's at least building properly but alas,there must be something wrong elsewhere with the audio i am modding into it or something esle :(

paddyboy
undertow

Post#49 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 pm

So if i am understanding you correctly then i should do this ...

Extract from to ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
start address lba 11700
<<< option here to choose >>>> end address lba
<<< option here to choose >>>> length lba <<<< i should use this with value 16 >>>>>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXTRACTION TYPE
user data 2048 <<<<<< i should use this >>>>>>
user data but filter
raw data

this outputs the iso that i rename ip.bin < i did do this and it gives me a small file without errors,i don't know if i can view this file in any way to view the internal info about the title

is this correct ?

getting late here and need to go to bed,i thank you soo much for all your help,i will get back to it tomorrow and i hope to crack this bloody dreamcast iso,firstly i will try a compile without modding to see if it just boots back up as normal,if so then it's either my modded files or the sort index,i did follow the original tutorial and did the sort twice over to reflect the new files (i get that part of the tutorial now) but maybe still the index is wrong,i also tested my modded afs in a player and the audio all played ( a bit rough sounding) but was playing and indexed ok,still another problem is building the cdi that it adds nwar 100mb data back on.

kind regards and thank you for helping me

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#50 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes! That is correct that should be IP.BIN, have you tried using the demul emulator? (Latest version).

Nulldc doesn't work for me under windows 10 but I used to really like it.

Btw if your game is booting but crashing after the intro video I think it is related to 1 of 2 things: either your sort file isn't right (make sure it doesn't have a 0.0 line at the end) or some files weren't copied over correctly.

You will see in this thread I was having the same issues but got it sorted. I'll be heading home soon and I can pull up my environment and post some pics as well