Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Moderator: VasiliyRS

mrneo240
killer
Posts: 266

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#71 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:12 pm

After the image is made and mounted I believe in disc juggler 6 the only thing we had to do was hit "no" when it asked if we would like to repair the image.

We have never changed any settings in disc juggler, none of them.

I'm at work again, but I'll snag some pictures later ETA 7 hours

paddyboy
undertow
Posts: 29

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#72 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:59 pm

mrneo240 wrote:After the image is made and mounted I believe in disc juggler 6 the only thing we had to do was hit "no" when it asked if we would like to repair the image.

We have never changed any settings in disc juggler, none of them.

I'm at work again, but I'll snag some pictures later ETA 7 hours


i get this error UNLESS i also tick the box in advanced for (overburn) this must mean that disc image isn't the correct size and disk juggler doesn't like it

I also tried an unmodded version but the end result is an iso over 800mb and even larger once it's converted into mdf 970mb

work folder.jpg
work folder.jpg (510.52 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Last edited by paddyboy on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrneo240
killer
Posts: 266

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#73 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Short lesson:
Most CDs (aka CD-Rs) have a capacity of 80min or 700mb or 360000 blocks/sectors.

Your image you have compiled looks to be 82minutes, so it most likely would not fit on a CD but could possibly be OVERBURNed onto a CD.

For emulator testing though and just making the image this doesn't matter. It would only come in to play while burning the image to a disc.

If the only setting you are changing is the overburn then that is fine :D

paddyboy
undertow
Posts: 29

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#74 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:25 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Short lesson:
Most CDs (aka CD-Rs) have a capacity of 80min or 700mb or 360000 blocks/sectors.

Your image you have compiled looks to be 82minutes, so it most likely would not fit on a CD but could possibly be OVERBURNed onto a CD.

For emulator testing though and just making the image this doesn't matter. It would only come in to play while burning the image to a disc.

If the only setting you are changing is the overburn then that is fine :D


doesn't work with the hacked audio and with a fresh extracted and recompiled one,file ends up about 900mb,loads and i get to the warning screen,same goes for the last one i built,crashed at same place and also after burning the iso to check,it freezes at the warning

work folder.jpg
work folder.jpg (643.57 KiB) Viewed 197 times

mrneo240
killer
Posts: 266

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#75 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:31 pm

paddyboy wrote:doesn't work with the hacked audio and with a fresh extracted and recompiled one,file ends up about 900mb,loads and i get to the warning screen,same goes for the last one i built,crashed at same place and also after burning the iso to check,it freezes at the warning

work folder.jpg


Post the size of your data folder and also a screenshot of the window when "mds4dc.exe" is running, your sizes seem to be way bigger than mine for "unmodified"

Refer here for comparison:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8045&start=50#p104938

I think my data folder was about 654mb or something close and in the mds4dc the number in red looked like this
????????/68772623

paddyboy
undertow
Posts: 29

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#76 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 pm

mrneo240 wrote:
paddyboy wrote:doesn't work with the hacked audio and with a fresh extracted and recompiled one,file ends up about 900mb,loads and i get to the warning screen,same goes for the last one i built,crashed at same place and also after burning the iso to check,it freezes at the warning

work folder.jpg


Post the size of your data folder and also a screenshot of the window when "mds4dc.exe" is running, your sizes seem to be way bigger than mine for "unmodified"

Refer here for comparison:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 50#p104938

I think my data folder was about 654mb or something close and in the mds4dc the number in red looked like this
????????/68772623



I just did,i too thought something must be wrong,i made this one and its working,so i will clean out and make another fresh with same method and post back !!!

work folder.jpg
work folder.jpg (439.94 KiB) Viewed 189 times

mrneo240
killer
Posts: 266

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#77 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Glad to hear things are getting closer and closer to working for you.

So at this point just to clarify:
You can make an unmodified image and it works
You CANNOT make a modified image that gets past the warning screen.

Right?

paddyboy
undertow
Posts: 29

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#78 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:12 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Glad to hear things are getting closer and closer to working for you.

So at this point just to clarify:
You can make an unmodified image and it works
You CANNOT make a modified image that gets past the warning screen.

Right?



yep this is correct,i made another iso at 733mb,i thought it would work but then after making the mds,it went up to 800 odd mb and no longer mounts properly,also the iso before converting,would give errors in isobuster,i found with this version of msr,the audio had already been hacked and the files were smaller,i think my modded files are too large possibly or is it that the sorttxt.txt reflects the old structure of the files and file sizes and so when after this step,i mod in my own files,it's not matching the sort ? either way tho i think my audio is too large and i will try again and mod only a few files and retry so i know i am within the limits of this msr build.

i thank you kindly as for all your help,i can now compile a working disc image and this is the main point,if with this i can then try to work within restrictions then i can mod in the music,to be clear,here are the files i modded and the original file sizes taken from the other msr iso ...

ORIGINAL FILES AND SIZES
LONDON.AFS = 111,054KB
SANFRAN.AFS =89,050KB
TOKYO.AFS =115,016KB
VOICE.AFS =119,878KB <<< THE NEWER MSA ISO YOU AND ARE NOW USING USES SMALLER FILE>>>>>

VOICE.AFS =60 ODD MB NEWER ISO

MY HACKED FILES

LONDON.AFS = 114,270KB
SANFRAN.AFS =147,802KB
TOKYO.AFS =138,984KB
VOICE.AFS =23,494KB

my hacked files are a bit smaller in total than the original but larger than the newer cdi we are using,might this be the issue or the sort file or my files being bad in some way ?

The only other thing i notice is that track 11 in tokyo is a bin image and not adx file,its possible i have replaced this with an audio adx and it crashes,im going to make another but keep tokyo original,i think this might be it.

mrneo240
killer
Posts: 266

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#79 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 pm

I wouldn't worry about the size of the ISO or the MDF too much, more just the size/length reported in disc juggler (aiming for 80min, 360000 blocks)

As for the rest I have zero idea, I haven't messed with replacing music or repacking afs files much. I think we had to do it for one release and we basically just dummied a couple files and then repacked it.

User avatar
itsthinkingstill
Sega RPG
Posts: 604

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#80 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:31 pm

As long as you keep the same file name then doing afs will have no issues. As for tokyo there is no way of replacing that (Without some heavy hacking) so you will be stuck with that. At least you can set your own custom cd in the game so that souldent be a problem

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Modifications”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users