Help with DKz Studio and ADX files for translation project

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

skull_diggery
rebel

Re: Help with DKz Studio and ADX files for translation project

Post by skull_diggery »

Thank you again for your response and help!

I ran your patch process as you wrote it and it is almost exactly the same as the process I've been using albeit with different tools (extracting the adx files, replacing a file with a different adx file with the same name and rebuilding the gdi then playtesting etc.) The same problem persists through my testing:

- file 78, the WARP theme played at the beginning can be replaced and it works correctly
- file 79,80,81 which are the first three audio files in the game can be replaced. However whichever file you replace, it will go silent after it plays. The game doesn't crash as if you play in visual mode the pictures keep changing, it just doen't play any further audio files.
- File 45,47,51 appear to be the option sounds 'new game', 'continue game (maybe?)' and 'options'. I have tried replacing these files and somehow this doesn't work and the original sound is preserved.

so to summarise, I can rebuild the gdi with new sounds, however they don't work on the menu screen from what I can see and any in-game file causes the sound to stop once it finishes playing.

Any ideas what I might be able to look at next?

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

skull_diggery wrote:Any ideas what I might be able to look at next?
Check DMs.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Okay, based on unique header/block size used in this game's AFS archives, I believe this custom-built tool I whipped together should do the trick.

kaze_afs_v2.zip
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... XtneWgmdSb

Simply modify the files inside the DISK01_EXTRACTED folder as needed. Then, drag that folder onto kaze_afs_rebuilder.exe. It will produce a file called output.afs. When testing using the original extracted files, it produced a 1:1 identical file as the original AFS.

Here are MD5 checksums from my test...

Code: Select all

d2bfd3630ec92b6105a8964a2ce69b4a  DISK01.AFS
d2bfd3630ec92b6105a8964a2ce69b4a  output.afs
If AFS format is the culprit here, this should do the trick.

EDIT:
Here's a version written in C++ which is smaller and faster, if you prefer.

kaze_afs_rebuilder_alt.exe
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... 6YRBC6PSCU
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam