Attempting Sakura Wars Dreamcast Translation

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

joshthegamer
rebel

Attempting Sakura Wars Dreamcast Translation

Post#1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:55 am

Hey evreryone. I am new here, and I have never attempted a project like this before. I want to translate the dreamcast version of Sakura Wars using the script from the Saturn translation. I have figured out how to add subtitles to the videos thanks to the documentation from the Sakura Wars 3 project, and I have successfully changed some of the text found in advmacro.psf. However, all the text after the opening line is thrown off when I do that. I figured that there are pointers somewhere in the file, but I cannot seem to find them. If anyone with more experience would like to help me find the pointers, I would deeply appreciate it! The edited text starts at 0000A3F0.
Attachments
subtitles.png
entext.png
messed up.png

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Attempting Sakura Wars Dreamcast Translation

Post#2 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:37 pm

If i understand well, there is already a translation project for this game...

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#3 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:46 pm

fafadou wrote:If i understand well, there is already a translation project for this game...

There is a translation for the Saturn version of this game. I know there was a group working on Sakura Wars 3, but I didn't think anyone was working on Sakura Wars 1 on Dreamcast.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#4 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:02 pm

fafadou wrote:If i understand well, there is already a translation project for this game...

There's an active project for "Sakura Wars 3".

If OP would like some information on Dreamcast romhacking, specifically the Sakura Wars games, then TheOpponent's wiki for "Sakura Wars 3" would likely be a good place to start:
https://github.com/TheOpponent/st3-tran ... notes/wiki

Furthermore, may I suggest my own intro video on the basics of Dreamcast romhacking and reverse-engineering:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16308

OP, this isn't the type of endeavor that miscellaneous people here and there on a forum can help you with, unfortunately. That being said, there are more resources (like the two above) available today for those interested in getting started than EVER BEFORE. I could have saved myself months of trial and error had information like that been amassed and publicly available.

Best of luck, and don't give up! Anything worthwhile in this life takes effort.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#5 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:50 pm

ateam wrote:

There's an active project for "Sakura Wars 3".

If OP would like some information on Dreamcast romhacking, specifically the Sakura Wars games, then TheOpponent's wiki for "Sakura Wars 3" would likely be a good place to start:
https://github.com/TheOpponent/st3-tran ... notes/wiki

Furthermore, may I suggest my own intro video on the basics of Dreamcast romhacking and reverse-engineering:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16308

OP, this isn't the type of endeavor that miscellaneous people here and there on a forum can help you with, unfortunately. That being said, there are more resources (like the two above) available today for those interested in getting started than EVER BEFORE. I could have saved myself months of trial and error had information like that been amassed and publicly available.

Best of luck, and don't give up! Anything worthwhile in this life takes effort.

Thanks for the tip. I have looked at the Sakura Wars 3 translation notes. I will definitely look at that intro video.

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#6 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:26 pm

Good news! I found the pointers and successfully modified one.
shot23.png

shot24.png

Now, I can progress with the project. Ignore the last line having a space before the word. That is an easy fix.

SpaceHoliday
dark night

Post#7 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:59 am

I hope you can get somewhere with this project!

While I love the Saturn and I have played SW on there, the Dreamcast port is something I'm still well up for being translated into English!
Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#8 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:50 pm

joshthegamer wrote:Good news! I found the pointers and successfully modified one.
shot23.png
shot24.png
Now, I can progress with the project. Ignore the last line having a space before the word. That is an easy fix.

Wow, so SW1 has a native variable-width font built in? Is your new text ASCII-encoded, rather than Shift-JIS? You may also want to figure out that excessive spacing between each word. Hex value 0x20 will correspond to empty space in ASCII, whereas Shift-JIS is 0x81 0x40.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#9 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:48 pm

ateam wrote:
joshthegamer wrote:Good news! I found the pointers and successfully modified one.
shot23.png
shot24.png

Wow, so SW1 has a native variable-width font built in? Is your new text ASCII-encoded, rather than Shift-JIS? You may also want to figure out that excessive spacing between each word. Hex value 0x20 will correspond to empty space in ASCII, whereas Shift-JIS is 0x81 0x40.

The text is still SJIS encoded. The game does not recognize ASCII characters, so I used 81 40 as the space value. The big space is something I am currently trying to solve.

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#10 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:57 am

Just wanted to give a peek at the LIPS choices.
shot25.png

Also, the game at least allows 5 lines of dialogue. I need to figure out if I can shrink this font next and solve the big spaces.
shot26.png