[v1.1 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Cool Cool Toon)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ateam
Animated Violence

Re: [v1.0 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Cool Cool Toon)

Post by ateam »

LeSpank wrote:Thanks again for looking in to the issue and I'll check out the new patch asap.
Thank you.

When you can, I'd ask you to test the patch I DM'd you, as well as the one linked here:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 30#p177976
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam
ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

By the way, for anyone wanting widescreen, Esppiral has provided the following. These changes can be made in a hex editor, either by opening track03.bin from the patched GDI, or the patched CDI itself.

Code: Select all

FIND
9C B5 60 8C A0 B5 60 8C 40 46 2C 8C 70 45 61 8C
REPLACE
C0 AC 01 8C A0 B5 60 8C 40 46 2C 8C 70 45 61 8C

FIND
9C B5 60 8C A0 B5 60 8C 14 23 22 8C 02 00 10 02
REPLACE
C0 AC 01 8C A0 B5 60 8C 14 23 22 8C 02 00 10 02

FIND
9C B5 60 8C A0 B5 60 8C 84 B5 60 8C 0B 00 09 00
REPLACE
C0 AC 01 8C A0 B5 60 8C 84 B5 60 8C 0B 00 09 00

FIND
9C B5 60 8C A0 B5 60 8C 84 33 23 8C 00 00 00 E0
REPLACE
C0 AC 01 8C A0 B5 60 8C 84 33 23 8C 00 00 00 E0

Note that doing this will stretch certain 2D assets and text (which is normal for widescreen hacks).

Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
dubcity
Super Sonic

Post by dubcity »

Man Esppiral is awesome. He finds all these widescreen patches. I'm using a vga cable that displays widescreen on my tv but I can appreciate these patches. Instead of stretching the screen they seem to bring the camera back a little.
Riggles
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by Riggles »

ateam wrote: Please note that this game is apparently broken in 50hz mode (duh), so if you actually have a 50hz display, there's nothing I can do for you.
May I also take this opportunity to lament PAL gaming consoles in general :D
Just to give some info regarding 50Hz for anyone reading, since a lot of people outside of Europe misunderstand the situation. (us Europeans have to keep explaining this to Americans in CRT groups so figured I should put this here)

"50Hz displays" are extremely rare and you're not going to have to worry about people being unable to play stuff at 60Hz. You'll have to go waay back to the 70s and still have to find something without an adjustable vhold pot. Ever since the early 80s and the standardization of RGB Scart, CRT TV's in Europe were vertical sync unlocked and sync 50-60Hz and anything in-between as a side effect (55-58Hz arcade games will work on our CRTs). With only tiny portable RF only TV's being exceptions. So basically any CRT TV you find today will be able to do 60Hz. A couple of PAL-region Gamecube games were 60Hz only even like Metroid Prime and Four Swords Adventures, and no one complained lol.

So in short there really was no reason for 50Hz whatsoever, other than ensure that little Timmy with an old 70s TV's wouldn't have issues, making the 99% of the rest of us suffer and making 50Hz even more of a gut punch.

RGB Scart support on PAL-region Dreamcasts is important as it's commonly used considering our gear. Both retail NTSC-J and PAL games have RGB support (through JP21 and Scart respectively) and almost all NTSC-U games do as well (RGB patches for the few that doesn't).

Super appreciated that the issue is taken seriously, sadly I can't test that on my PAL unit as I removed the old caps and I'm waiting on new ones.
I will however test the revised patch on my NTSC-J unit with RGBs60Hz through Scart to ensure there's no issues with RGB in general :D
ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Riggles wrote:Super appreciated that the issue is taken seriously, sadly I can't test that on my PAL unit as I removed the old caps and I'm waiting on new ones.
I will however test the revised patch on my NTSC-J unit with RGBs60Hz through Scart to ensure there's no issues with RGB in general :D
Thanks for the info. I'm actually getting closer to a true patch, so all the ones I shared above can be ignored by any offering to test.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
ateam
Animated Violence

Re: [v1.1 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Cool Cool Toon)

Post by ateam »

Okay, PAL console support added for SCART/composite users!

Links updated with v1.1 build in the release announcement post:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 43#p177943

And here's my Twitter post thread documenting the changes. As the last post in the thread states, there may still be additional tweaks needed, so please report them to me if discovered:
https://twitter.com/DerekPascarella/sta ... 2502426624
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
Guimli
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy star online

Post by Guimli »

Thanks for the translation.
I tried the game quickly, thinking I will try a few songs, but the game get hard pretty quickly.
Seems I will need to focus on it to finish it.
I will also try using the maracas but I don't think it make the game easier!
ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Guimli wrote:I tried the game quickly, thinking I will try a few songs, but the game get hard pretty quickly.
Go to the options menu and set difficulty to "EASY", it helps a lot.

Maracas won't be any easier :lol:
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
galaxygod
core

Post by galaxygod »

THANK YOU! i played through 3/4 of this game in japamese but got to a point where i couldnt understand what i was supposed to do, now with the english patch my save file still works so i can beat the game finally! really appreciate all the work you have been doing!
ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

galaxygod wrote:THANK YOU! i played through 3/4 of this game in japamese but got to a point where i couldnt understand what i was supposed to do, now with the english patch my save file still works so i can beat the game finally! really appreciate all the work you have been doing!
Happy to hear it, though I'd by lying if I told you not to start from the beginning to experience all of the hilarious and charming story elements this game has on offer.

Also note that Amp and Spica's respective routes are completely different in many respects. It's worth playing through both, if you're a fan of the game.

You can set the difficulty to EASY in the options menu if you find it helps.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube