[request] Remove checks for DreamMovie VCD player?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: [request] Remove checks for DreamMovie VCD player?

Post#71 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:29 am

Here is the mediainfo details of matrix4xm.mp4 (decoded from source matrix.4xm)

Overall bit rate: 1052

Video: 916kbps, 640x368 (1.739), at 25.000 fps, AVC (High 4:4:4 Predictive@L3)(CABAC/4 Ref Frames)

Audio: 128kbps, 44.1Khz, 2 channels, AAC(LC)

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#72 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:11 am

Um...so, anyone able to hack DreamMovie? :lol: Ian, do you know if it’s possible?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#73 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Data Rate Defines the throughput in bytes per second. The default value for
this parameter is 800 000 i.e. 780 Kb per second corresponding
to a CDX8 drive. You should count about 100 Kb per second for
a single-speed drive. This calculation takes into account both
images and sound. If there is no sound it is for the images alone.

So that's what the data rate is maybe for gdemu we could up this for tests

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#74 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:29 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:Um...so, anyone able to hack DreamMovie? :lol: Ian, do you know if it’s possible?

Not quite sure it's worth it only mpeg1 low spec dev sample

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#75 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
dave_van_damn wrote:Um...so, anyone able to hack DreamMovie? :lol: Ian, do you know if it’s possible?

The way I see it, while it is "low spec" there isn't currently an easy option to play commercial VCDs on the Dreamcast, despite many people assuming there is. Saturn and PS1 can play VCDs (albeit with extra hardware). It feels sort of embarrassing as a life-long DC owner that something as primitive as VCD isn't easily playable on DC given how low spec it is.

For DC, the options are:

Xing Hong Player = dreadful
Gyplay = requires files to be burned to the disc
VC/DC = valiant effort but lacks features and skips lots of frames

Now we come to DreamMovie. Supposedly a very good VCD player, but it's off limits for most people because it requires an IR dongle and remote. The set reaches up to $100 USD on eBay and is quite rare. If there was a reason to hack Dream Photo, surely there's a reason to hack Dream Movie.

My own selfish reasons: I regularly watch VCDs. I live in Hong Kong and used VCDs are dirt cheap. Many martial arts movies were released on VCD which haven't transitioned over to DVD or Blu.

https://imgur.com/a/vskpSZh

But if you check Reddit or Facebook there's lots of people out there trying to get the Dream Movie set. I figure if it could be hacked, many more people could experience it and finally the DC would have a good VCD player for those who want it!

Only problem is....I can't code :lol: I have looked into it with a hex editor but I couldn't see anything obvious (but I also have no idea what I'm doing so yeah).
aka DavidHK on DC games.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#76 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:16 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

The way I see it, while it is "low spec" there isn't currently an easy option to play commercial VCDs on the Dreamcast, despite many people assuming there is. Saturn and PS1 can play VCDs (albeit with extra hardware). It feels sort of embarrassing as a life-long DC owner that something as primitive as VCD isn't easily playable on DC given how low spec it is.

For DC, the options are:

Now we come to DreamMovie. Supposedly a very good VCD player, but it's off limits for most people because it requires an IR dongle and remote. The set reaches up to $100 USD on eBay and is quite rare. If there was a reason to hack Dream Photo, surely there's a reason to hack Dream Movie.

My own selfish reasons: I regularly watch VCDs. I live in Hong Kong and used VCDs are dirt cheap. Many martial arts movies were released on VCD which haven't transitioned over to DVD or Blu.

But if you check Reddit or Facebook there's lots of people out there trying to get the Dream Movie set. I figure if it could be hacked, many more people could experience it and finally the DC would have a good VCD player for those who want it!

Only problem is....I can't code :lol: I have looked into it with a hex editor but I couldn't see anything obvious (but I also have no idea what I'm doing so yeah).

Ah, a fellow VCD collector, I see! People call me crazy, but this is my collection (and a big reason why I own two DreamMovies):

https://imgur.com/a/4DcfWDi

Maybe when I wrap up with my latest translation patch, I'll start poking around at DreamMovie.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#77 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:29 pm

ateam wrote:
dave_van_damn wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

For DC, the options are:

Ah, a fellow VCD collector, I see! People call me crazy, but this is my collection (and a big reason why I own two DreamMovies):

https://imgur.com/a/4DcfWDi

Maybe when I wrap up with my latest translation patch, I'll start poking around at DreamMovie.

Great collection!! I used to have a lot more but sold off quite a lot of mine. They’re very collectible and don’t take up much space!

That’s for taking a look at DreamMovie! Good luck with the translation.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#78 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

For DC, the options are:

Curious as to what hardware you are using now to play your commercial VCD's?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#79 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:40 am

MoeFoh wrote:Curious as to what hardware you are using now to play your commercial VCD's?

I have a Chinese Blu Ray player that plays them. From what I've read, most modern DVD/Blu players don't play VCDs nowadays...?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#80 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:23 am

MoeFoh wrote:Curious as to what hardware you are using now to play your commercial VCD's?

This is what I use:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-1080p-Upscaling-HDMI-DVD-Player-DVP-SR510H/20370542
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam