Ian Micheal
Developer

OpenTyrian Sound fix speed fix Powered by SDL_DREAMHAL Upport kos2.0

Post#1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Speed fixed no stutter on music 60fps
new kos2.0 upport
instruction screen crash fixed
Now using Vram not software buffer
Use DMA video drive. It is the fastest video driver using double buffer since every graphic access uses RAM and SDL_Flip function sends data to VRAM using DMA.
Now a stereo mixer
sh4asm blit routine
How it runs now :)

-----------------------------------
How it use to run

-----------------------------------------
OG port by t[port by iIndiket]

Download sb update port
https://mega.nz/file/27I02Jba#FGojSJQvQ ... EjB7Lk-QPw

SDL_dreamHAL is combo of many great projects up ported sdl from chu dreamhal math lib and routines by moop..
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: OpenTyrian Sound fix speed fix Powered by SDL_DREAMHAL Upport kos2.0

Post#2 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 pm

This is an example of what SDL_DreamHAL can do to old SDL projects :) full src to all libs needed for kos2.0 and this will be up on my github soon so you can fix any SDL port from the past..

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:18 am

The new kos is wonderfull !
Thanks to you @kremiso and @Ian to have work on this game.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:40 am

SDL_DreamHAL is what is giving it the upgrade it's a combo of up ports and projects built into version of sdl that is 100% kos2.0 use-able.. but if you was to just use kos2.0 you have the same as before..

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 am

I once took up this game, I wanted to make an online mode, but since there are problems with the connection via a modem in KOS, I abandoned this project, but I still have a test build

OpenTyrian test

this build not use SDL_audio

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#6 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:00 am

That's the spirit, bring out that gold oldies, abandoned in your hdd, and share lol
maybe could be cool to add here on DC-Talk a thread about unfinished/untested/forgotten etc project also... :?:

megavolt85 wrote:I once took up this game, I wanted to make an online mode, but since there are problems with the connection via a modem in KOS, I abandoned this project, but I still have a test build

this build not use SDL_audio

boosted soundfx this one @megavolt85 8-)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:51 am

Sfx can be boosted in the build above i did go into the menu.. I also looked into modem and cant seem to get it to work..

megavolt85
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:54 am

kremiso wrote:boosted soundfx this one @megavolt85 8-)

look in the jukebox how quickly the track switches
but the sound is far from all the changes that I managed to make, vibration is supported great, the controller is fully customizable including an analog stick, full keyboard and mouse support

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:09 am

Only point of this was to showcase SDL_dreamhal which is up to 100% faster then any version you can use on dreamcast run this on hardware you will see what i mean..

Modem working in homebrew would be the holy grail i also have problems with it..

jukebox swtiches fast on this as well due to api upgrades.

Point was showing the upcoming SDL_dreamHAL which on benchmark on hardware is over 100% faster blit speed

SDL_mixer is custom all threading fixed for kos2.0
course you cant use any version that is around now it be broken none is included in kos2.0
Stereo is broken with out changes Threading is broken

--stereo fixed copy buffer fixed saves even more memory dreamhal sh4 asm used for math
SDL-dreamhal all threading fixed acia routine updated to kos2.0 standard mutex threading updated etc etc..
Memory leak fixed
Blitspeed HW-vram pallet flip also correct kos2.0 vram changes by kazade which gives us the proper vram
it's been broken in kos since 2004..

not using some old crap sdl here.. spent months on updating and fixing the problems so people can use it very soon

Version is used in VVVVDC and titan engine and is why there so fast now with small changes to any old sdl project it bring them up to a high standard just by compiling with the new apis..

Version is used in Dreambor hence why it so fast and does not fall over with a memory leak

Which will be released soon

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 am

yes the video in my assembly works much worse than in yours
As for the modem, I'm afraid I can't do anything, I don't know what exactly is broken in KOS, but the problem is definitely in it, because even the built-in examples do not work through the modem

for music, I use ADPCM with loading via DMA channel, and all sfx are stored in sound memory and use different channels for playback, that is, I do not programmatically mix all channels into one

I am attaching the corrected source code, note that you need to replace several files in KOS and rebuild it, this will expand the functionality of KOS

opentyrian-2.1.20130907_SRC.7z