Help for japonese translations

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

XadPT
undertow

Help for japonese translations

Post#1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi, I'm trying to translate a game for dreamcast and I need help with japonese texts to translate them, only the translation of texts part. Any help would be appreciated... And big thanks to Derek(ateam) for the help and support.

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Help for japonese translations

Post#2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:20 pm

When I translate the Japanese websites to English I use Google Translate. I don't know any Japanese myself, so this helps a lot. You can do it via a PC by going to Google and looking up Japanese to English, and for any images that are in Japanese text, you can download the Google Translate app. It has a camera function which translates whatever the camera is pointed at. It's super useful for translating Dreamcast games on my TV as I play them, I can't recommend it enough. Pretty sure it's on iPhone as well as Google Android phones.

XadPT
undertow

Post#3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:55 am

Hi, that is the methods I'm using but to be honest they don't work very well, for options menus and simple words do the job, but for dialogues don't work very well, some times gives me sentences without any logic.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 am

Yeah. It's fine for most websites because they're usually somewhat formal. But dialogue would be much more tricky. Hope someone can help :)

XadPT
undertow

Post#5 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 am

Thank you, this will be harder for me as I'm Portuguese, it's like having the double work, as I not know the English expressions too

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Can't you translate to Spanish instead of Portuguese since it is super closely related to Portuguese? I am not an idiot that thinks they are 99% the same language, Portuguese has many little things different to Spanish for sure, but since Portuguese speakers can understand something like 80% of Spanish I would think it might be easier to translate to. Since Spanish is one of the 3 major spoken languages in the world.

I know things sometimes are better translated into English, like with Russian and some other languages for example. But wouldn't that help you to maybe understand better since Spanish has better translation support for other languages than Portuguese I wold think?

XadPT
undertow

Post#7 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Ahahah ah I speak and understand better the English, lol Spanish is not even close to Portuguese, Spanish sound more like Italian :D

Return to “Modifications”