Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Post#31 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Roareye wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:So here's the wierd part of this program vcd mp3 player the mp3 part is wince the vcd part is katana lmao.. i can get the mp3 part to work vcd part cant work it's katana.. So this some kinda wierd ass hybrid katana wince loader program how strange

So I've looked up wince, and it's Windows CE, so I understand that's basically old school Windows coding.

As far as Katana is concerned, you say the VCD part doesn't work because it is Katana. By not work, do you mean you can't add it to the DCMC? If it's a hybrid loader do you not have a way of adding the loader too? Would you need a Dreamcast Katana Development System in order to work on it (including altering the controls)?

In regards to your DCMC video player, and sync slowing down, might it be easier to render films in chunks? So break a movie up into 20-30 minute segments and have the DCMC read disc numbers on the files to determine that it should auto-play the next file? Early DVDs did this (as well as having to turn over the disc itself).

It seems that be a great idea had reports it gets behind at the 10 min mark Interesting idea it would get around a lot of things i have to think about how to code that

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Post#32 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Yay, I finally came in useful after all haha :D

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#33 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Roareye wrote:Yay, I finally came in useful after all haha :D

Interesting work around since playing perfect for the first 10 mins if there was a way to get this up to the 20 min mark have it in chunks like you said have it auto play in a folder 1 to 10 pretty much solve the current problem..

Now to code a solution for this hehe :)

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#34 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:

Interesting work around since playing perfect for the first 10 mins if there was a way to get this up to the 20 min mark have it in chunks like you said have it auto play in a folder 1 to 10 pretty much solve the current problem..

Well regardless of whether you can get it up to 20 minutes or it remains stuck at 10 minutes per sync, I'll be keeping a keen eye on this. I have a Video Game TV Show in the works, and releasing a Dreamcast playable disc as a fun optional extra would be such a cool and nerdy way to deliver the show to people who choose that type of release.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#35 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:19 pm

Roareye wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Well regardless of whether you can get it up to 20 minutes or it remains stuck at 10 minutes per sync, I'll be keeping a keen eye on this. I have a Video Game TV Show in the works, and releasing a Dreamcast playable disc as a fun optional extra would be such a cool and nerdy way to deliver the show to people who choose that type of release.

Yes the whole menu can be custom to suit and the menu music etc it would be very good for this type of thing.. We can use mpeg2 HQ as well lot more work todo In the coming year :)

lot of nice things can be done with it now projects like the Amiga collection coming Neogeo pocket color collection are using this as a base :) it added to emulators for guides cheats manuals etc all in one..

Wince custom retail games with your own playthru and help guides etc custom menu for the retail game etc... many ideas can be done with it.. this just base plain files as asked for ...

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#36 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 pm

demo themes

Adam has pushed the current code to make a nice menu theme..

last one shows my app to dump load Dreameye webcam to sd card

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#37 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:08 pm

That looks amazing! I notice a lot of repeat images in the sub menus, are they folders?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#38 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Roareye wrote:That looks amazing! I notice a lot of repeat images in the sub menus, are they folders?

If there is no TBN thumbnail it defaults to a image etc.. Inside folders you can have thumbnail images the way the filesystem works is how kos works

So programs -> vmu/cd/ etc thats a kos file system once choose cd which is same as gdemu etc main folder it then shows all bin files in that folder each thing can have a thumbnail

File system is generated on the fly not hardcoded or using a txt file it read the whole image.. in this why and a function of kos it sees all and you dont have to make like in the old days pre coded lists..

Each thing always has to start vmu/cd/sd/pty thats the root of the file system each folder or selection only seeing what it's allowed and cant see movies in programs and you cant see bin files when say selecting pictures ... The Menu selection loads the file system with the files it's allowed to see..

Pretty much any real file system using KOS works this way.. If the menus were hardcoded you could not get back to root to select the next thing..

Had someone ask but yes it's always going to be selection then"""" vmu/cd/sd/pty"""" it's a kos function not a DCMC function..

THE Whole string loading and menu functions would not work with out it.. I dont see it as a problem but a very good feature i mean it's only 1 press of the button to find your directory named movies picture or music they can be any name you want they dont have to be named that way.. But the menu selection does Say you choose music any folder you select will only show the music formats.. quite complex string loading..

It seems people so far have trouble understanding this has to be this way how it's written as far as i understand the code..

tbn file is just a renamed jpg file if it matches say movie.avi movie.tbn you no longer see a blank file but the box art poster of that file.. This works for programs , movies , music albums manuals etc..

The quirks of DCMC is by the creator .. Always thought it was wonderful bit of coding .. Adding trans fonts and menu music at the start was my only goal.. That turned out to be very hard thing to do as the opengl uses did not support doing this..

By optimizing your menus folders you can cant done on any blank folders and or just place everything in one folder with tbn for the said files.. how you do your files and folders is up to you ..

willis
letterbomb

Post#39 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Each thing always has to start vmu/cd/sd/pty thats the root of the file system each folder or selection only seeing what it's allowed and cant see movies in programs and you cant see bin files when say selecting pictures ... The Menu selection loads the file system with the files it's allowed to see..

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to just have it 'launch' right into the cd folder once the programs option is chosen? Is there a way to just have the one path if that is what you want the dcmc to do? For instance if I figure out what I want to include with a game compilation DCMC and I just wanted everything to just go straight to the cd folder, could that just be a simple code change? The main menu would stay the same with programs / music / videos / etc. but if I just wanted all of them to just go straight to the cd folder. That way when I choose programs it takes me straight to the thumbnails of the games/ip.bins instead of more folders to choose. There probably would have to be some kind of folder that would take you back to the main menu though huh? I know it's not that big of a deal to just choose things the way they are, but it was an idea. Forgive my ignorance about how the DCMC works overall. I'm just thinking of different ways to use and modify it for alternate possibilities :lol:

Great work on everything Ian! I enjoy watching where this project goes

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#40 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:20 am

Ian, does DCMC allow for playing commercial VCD discs? Is it possible to insert a VCD after booting DCMC and play it back? Thanks for all your hard work!
aka DavidHK on DC games.