Half-Life DC Modding.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

McGaffryson
undertow

Re: Half-Life DC Modding.

Post#11 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:46 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Also, look at how the files are set up in the total conversion mods like Paranoia and They Hunger. It should let you see how those mods did things and help you figure it out.

Well holy crap, Paranoia is entirely different. It has a ton of wad files, ones that weren't in the HLDC, and there isn't a wad file for each and every map. I'm going to check and see if maybe pak files are where maps are actually stored, because I'm very confused now.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:01 pm

I assume you have the mega mod pack I posted here for HLDC right? I think it you look at maybe some of the other mods in there they may also be easier to figure out. Again, I wish I took a more active role in modding this game, but I literally didn't start learning to make my own mods until about 2016 when I took over development of an old abandoned Korean War mod I beta tested back in the day for BF2. I am on my 3rd historical total conversion mod now hehe, just got super addicted.

So I will for sure try and mod for HLDC in the future once I am done with my BF2 mod projects. I got plans for some nice mods. We could literally have WW1-Modern military singleplayer mods. I seen a lot of assets we could use to craft mods from most 20th century conflicts such as WW2 and even Vietnam. The Dreamcast really lacks historical FPS games other than maybe Hidden and Dngedrous

Other than that, I want to have a proper Halo themed mod on DC since it was rumored to come to the console at one point. It was only a rumor though. But I seen some Halo assets ported over to HL1 we could use.

McGaffryson
undertow

Post#13 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I assume you have the mega mod pack I posted here for HLDC right?

No, I don't. I just have paranoia and HLDC [Goldres] on my computer. I was also wrong about the maps. They are BSP's, but they are contained in the pak files as oppose to loose folders, and I can't seem to extract those files to save my life (PakExplorer only extracts a handful of files, and QuArK just gives up on the third file). I am completely unsure what the other loose files relating to the maps are, but I'm assuming those are files that are there to help with optimization and saves. HL1 files, now that I've viewed them with notepad, seem to handle something pertaining to events in maps. Loose wad files are just there to load textures pertaining to the corresponding level to the RAM quicker, and I'm completely unsure of what the SAV files are for.

So, it's all there, just like in the PC ver, everything is just organized a bit differently.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#14 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm

McGaffryson wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I assume you have the mega mod pack I posted here for HLDC right?

No, I don't...

https://mega.nz/folder/sJMkjC5L#M5lW3jppSIhOz9B-MZl7ew

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:21 pm

SAV files are to my understanding PC save files added to the mods that support saves. So they did like this. They would play that mod up until that point on their PC, then save that point in the game. Then they would somehow add the file to the disc, and from what I remember they somehow made the game save this created file to the VMU at that point. This is why it tells you only save at certain points in the game. Otherwise you try and load up a save from a mod it can place you outside of the map boundaries or something. They found a very clever fix for that. Most mods did not support saves, only ones like They Hunger, Paranoia and I think U.S.S. Dark Star.