disc swap button GDEMU

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Spergis
shadow

disc swap button GDEMU

Post#1 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:36 am

Got a clone GDEMU (I know, I'd prefer to support the creator but I'm poor!)

It works a treat but I can quite figure out the disc swap button. I press it and it doesnt seem to work. Either does nothing or freezes the screen. Discs are in the correct order on SD card, used sdmaker (i.e. 01:gdmenu;' 02:Shenmue disc 1; 03: shenmue disc 2 etc) .

Is there a specific length of time you need to press it for? Does a button press make it go from the start of the list or on to the disc following the one currently 'inserted'?

I've been playing shenmue so its no problem as it saves at start of next disc, however I'm wanting to play D2 and my understanding is that you need the disc swap function to progress.

Any tips?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: disc swap button GDEMU

Post#2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 am

What version do you have? I have the 5.15 and it's not working for me either.
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 8562 times

Really not a big deal to miss out on one game out of the hundreds you can play. Even if you had the original Gdemu I think D2 is still a hassle.
D2 works fine in Dreamshell with IDE with automatic disc swapping.
Another thing you can do is just load it up on a PC emulator play until you swap disc and get a chance to save on disc 2.

Spergis
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:15 am

It's 5.5 :)

I'm not heartbroken just liked the look of D2.

Honestly I never had a DC as a kid so I'm kinda new to it. Played the ports to NGC (Skies of arcadia, sonic etc)

Any recommendations? Cheers

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 am

Dreamcast has some great games. http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/p ... p-200.html
I've been playing the online games mostly. Monaco, PodSpeedzone and 4x4 are all a blast online.

Spergis
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:33 am

Cheers, havent even thought of going online yet! just finished up all the mods trying to extend the life of it for as long as possible!

Hatty
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:27 pm

The disc swap button works great, even on my knock off GDEMU.
Even when playing D2

The trick to getting it work properly is....
**** pressing the buttons as fast as humanly possible ***

So for D2, press the disc swap button the desired amount of times and then the B button on the controller, super fast!

Check out my demonstration video:

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#7 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:09 pm

I wanted to chime in here to say that I believe the open_time and detect_time parameters inside the GDEMU.ini file (located in the root of your SD card) affect the timing/performance of using the disc-swap button. You can read more in this thread here:

You can also read more about these config parameters on Deunan's official GDEMU website:

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/operation/gdemu-operation/

NOTE: If you're using a clone GDEMU, the read_limit parameter found on the GDEMU page linked above has no actual functionality, as this is a new feature introduced in firmware version 5.20.3. This parameter is unrelated to the disc-swap button, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case anybody was seeing that GDEMU page for the first time and wanted to understand those settings more.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Darkbit
shadow

Post#8 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:05 am

Spergis wrote:Got a clone GDEMU (I know, I'd prefer to support the creator but I'm poor!)

It works a treat but I can quite figure out the disc swap button. I press it and it doesnt seem to work. Either does nothing or freezes the screen. Discs are in the correct order on SD card, used sdmaker (i.e. 01:gdmenu;' 02:Shenmue disc 1; 03: shenmue disc 2 etc) .

Is there a specific length of time you need to press it for? Does a button press make it go from the start of the list or on to the disc following the one currently 'inserted'?

I've been playing shenmue so its no problem as it saves at start of next disc, however I'm wanting to play D2 and my understanding is that you need the disc swap function to progress.

Any tips?

Hi OP not sure if you got it solved or not. but this worked for me so I hope it helps you too: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16730&p=177970#p177970