Help us brainstorm ideas for Half-Life DC mods

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Help us brainstorm ideas for Half-Life DC mods

Post#1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm

dcnigma and myself were discussing getting into making all new Half-Life Dreamcast mods. We are going to need some ideas from the community on stuff they would like to see. My personal favorite ideas being making a WW2 mod for the system based on the Day of Defeat assets, as well as a Halo singleplayer mod for the DC. I always felt like the Halo 1 assets could be made to work pretty ok in the HL Goldsource engine.

There was a WW2 mod for HL called Operations 1942, but it is incompatible with HLDC because from what I remember the maps and .bsp's had to be separated and recompiled to make it work.

If you guys want to download every single Dreamcast Half-Life mod and give them a try you can get them from my mega pack here. This should further give you an idea about the type of mods that can be done on the system.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11254
Last edited by Anthony817 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Half-Life DC mods

Post#2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

No idea if this is even feasible, but a multiplayer version of Team Fortress Classic would be great.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Unfortunately online was never working in this build of the game we use to make mods. It was planned but no multiplayer build was ever released, and also, modding is pretty basic with what we can actually achieve. We can't do super advanced mods, so things requiring custom .dll's where we have to compile them with the HL SDK just sadly isn't possible.

So multiplayer mods aren't going to work, and as such we are always going too have to focus on singleplayer mods.

What can be achieved are weapon and character skin mods, as well as new levels and basic intros and stuff. Just take a look at They Hunger Trilogy on the Dreamcast to see what kind of features will work for us.

Our very own PCWizard13 shows off the mod here.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:18 am

How about a mod based around the French and Indian War?

The French and Indian War (1754 – 1763) pitted the colonies of British America against those of New France, each side supported by military units from their countries and by American Indian allies. At the start of the war, the French colonies had a population of about 60,000 settlers, compared with 2 million in the British colonies. The outnumbered French particularly depended on the Indians.

More details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_and_Indian_War

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 am

Well, I am not a modeler, or model exporter. I meant simple mods where we could port them over from PC, or make much easier. I used the example of WW2 because all of the assets were already made in Day of Defeat.

The French and Indian War is a super specific time period and would be a challenge to make all the weapons and uniforms from scratch. Plus, I don't know that muskets are well suited to Half-Life style gameplay. It would have to be a really slow FPS game then.

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm

would it be possible to do a tower defense style game with this? or something with wave attacks. i wouldnt mind something like that

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:38 pm

James Bond 007: Nightfire
GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox version use id Tech 3 (Q3 arena) engine
PC version use GoldSrc engine

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:32 pm

megavolt85 wrote:James Bond 007: Nightfire
GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox version use id Tech 3 (Q3 arena) engine
PC version use GoldSrc engine

My friend Br4mb0 AKA Dreammatrx actually planned on doing this a long time ago. You can even see in his Goldeneye 007 mod he has Nightfire as a selection in the menu. Unfortunately he hasn't released any mods for Half-Life for a while now, and 007 mod was last worked on I think in 2013 and it was only a demo.

poopidoop wrote:would it be possible to do a tower defense style game with this? or something with wave attacks. i wouldnt mind something like that

I don't know if that is possible. Really we are looking at story based FPS mods that simply add new characters, weapons and levels.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:35 pm

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Hehe, that mod would require extensive work to play on DC. First thing holding us back is the issue us not being able to load custom .dll's to play more complex mods on DC.

Moi was working on trying to get the HL SDK to compile for HLDC so we can use more complex mods. But there were tons of issues preventing him from compiling it as there were many errors.

More complex mods that I always wanted would be things like HL Rally, because it would be a possibility to make all kinds of homebrew games with it that aren't even FPS's.